PDA

View Full Version : Tricks of the trade

Foxer
09-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Everyone knows i'm a slave to my gizmo's, gadgets and crazy home made ideas. I don't care if i can buy firestarter for a buck, if i can make my own out of some lunatic combination of materials i'll likely do it, and if they make a digital lazer firestarter and can opener combo, i'll likely buy it :)

But every now and then something works. Here's something I tried last year and was surprised at how simple and effective it was.

Take a short bungee cord - use the two 'hooks' on the end and attach it to a belt clip. This will leave the bungee dangling in a loop from your belt.

Slip the heel of your gun butt into it so that the loop supports the weight of the gun, then cradle normally. The bungee takes the majority of the weight off of your arms, all you're doing is keeping the gun from falling forward. And yet, any upward movement on your part and the gun is free normally.

I tried this last year and found it very nice for longer walks. The gun didn't get heavy at all, and yet when i brought it to my shoulder it was if the bungee never existed because it just comes out when you lift the gun. I found i could carry one handed, or keep one hand on the stock and one hand on the grip.

As an option to a sling, or when you want to carry 'at the ready' without the strain, it's great.

I was inspired by this guy's product, but i wasn't gonna spend 15 bucks american on a bungee cord - http://butt-rest.com/

Any gagets, toys, tricks or homemade gizmos you guys wanna share?

bone-collector
09-05-2004, 07:50 AM
the intructions failed to say it would push your trousers down at the same time blinding the moose with yer white behind :lol: :lol:

3kills
09-05-2004, 08:25 AM
well rob number one...not everyone packs a dam 458 and number two i take it u were walkin around the house this mornin tryin it???

bone-collector
09-05-2004, 08:30 AM
no I was NOT thank you :lol:

Rufus
09-05-2004, 09:11 AM
It sounds like somthing i'll try, but i'll tighten up my belt. :wink: :)

Steeleco
09-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Cool Idea, I have seen these gizmo's available commercially but, hell I usually can find bungee's at the side of the road on just about every trip into the back counrty.

Steeleco
09-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I line with the original post, I've been curious to see how many of you folks use tape or a finger from a rubber glove to stop rain getting in the barrel? Does it have any effect on point of impact? This too is a gizmo my hunting bud uses on the wet ugly days down here on the WET coast.

09-05-2004, 11:30 AM
l always cover the end of the barrel on any gun l am using. Rain or shine, it keeps shit outta the barrel. Get some cheapo synthetic gloves and a roll of electrical tape and your set. Balloons work too, if you have no front sights As far as changing point of impact.............not that l have ever experienced.

Kirby
09-05-2004, 04:09 PM
I always cover the end of my barrel, I just use the fingers off gloves, and elastic band, I've shot it at the range, and never noticed a change in POI.

As to inventions, no, but I did copy this guy, http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm And used my sticks(which as a typical canadian made out of hockey sticks), on a 330 yard shot on a mulie that I would never have made without, too tall of grass, and no natural rest.

Kirby

Rufus
09-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Foxer, i tryed it for a couple of hour's after i read this post, it works. 8) I use a piece of plastic baggie, and an elastic band over the end of my barrel, it works. :)

Tank
09-05-2004, 08:37 PM
ive tried ballons and such for the end of my barrel but found that after a day of hard hunting it would often be missing. now i just keep a roll of black electrical tape in my hunting bag....one application in the morning and it stays put all day. i haven't found any effect on bullet trajectry at the range or in the field. as for the bungee cord idea....i'm gonna have to try that on my scouting trip in morning :)

Foxer
09-05-2004, 09:04 PM
If you don't have a belt clip handy (i always have a couple- plastic is the quietest) then a thick zap strap done around the belt works too. You need a fairly short bungee cord tho.

You can also do it to the waist belt of your backpack.

timbergiants
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I read that advice a while back while "lurking" ....

Made one and love it ........