PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Muley - Long Story

WoodOx
11-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, me and JJensen set out around 10pm for a long drive to southern Alberta. The following morning we arrived and with our hunter host, Dave, started scouting some areas he though some good bucks lived around. After seeing a number of younger whitetails and mulies, we spotted a very deep forked and heavy typical mule deer. As by this point it was last light, we watched him chase a hot doe into some river cooleys and disappear. The land he was on was private, and the owner had the weekend booked with hunters, so all we could do about this buck was wait and see if they other hunters cancelled.

The next day the season was open - I had a mule deer and whitetail tag, JJensen had a whitetail tag. We started the morning scouting some open hunting property, and getting permission from a number of other property owners. The evening was spent glassing some river breaks when JJensen spotted a heavy tined 4 point in the flat below us. Deciding I would put on a stalk, we repositioned ourselves on another knob above the river flat. Now looking down I noticed another two bucks with 8 or 9 does has emerged below us, undetected. I told JJensen I was going to go down and put on a stalk. Moving quickly down the break, I was spotted and the deer moved closer to the river. The bucks continued to run the does. Once getting to the river flat, I noticed that the bucks were pushing the does away from JJensen. I sprinted to the river in an attempt to lead them off from what I believed to be their escape route. Needless to say they heard me this time and ran closer to the river again - JJensen watched them run, and through his glasses thought he saw another deer running to join them. Hard to explain, but because JJensen was about 75 meters above me on a ridge, he could see what I couldn’t. That deer running to join them was me lol. So anyways after moving through some buck brush for about a half hour it was dark, and I couldn’t find the deer. JJensen on the other hand watched a number of other bucks join up with those does, and saw another typical and heavy 4x4 sky lined on the river.

The third day brought -15 temperatures, and some light snow. Me and JJensen found ourselves glassing the same river flat. After seeing a number of small bucks, JJensen decided he would do a drive of the trees and heavy bush surrounding the river. Immediately upon him starting the push some young 3 and 4 points started emerging. When I positioned myself on a small knob, I didn’t realize it but I was directly above the main escape route. Throughout his push about 10 bucks funneled right beside me, including one massive 3x3 that clearly wasn’t going to grow anymore points. He was at least 32" wide. A few bucks did use an escape route further up river into a different cooley. When JJensen returned we decided to push some cooleys and see if we would run into these bucks.
Sure enough, about four cooleys up we pushed a nice buck non typical out. He was about 300 yards away, but I couldn’t decide if he was a shooter as he was moving away from us. We pursued him, but quickly lost him in the mass of river breaks. Later that day we returned only to find him, 3 small bucks, and many does bedded in a break. I decided he was a shooter for me, and put on a stalk. After about a 10 minute hike I was on a ridge above where I thought they were. They had moved. I worked my way uphill to where they were now, but jumped 4 mulie does with a whitetail buck. With two quick snorts, the mulie doe sent her group, with my buck in another group of 15 does running away. I set up and waited for them to emerge on the far side of the canyon. They were about 400 yards away when I saw them again, and after taking a number of shots at him, I missed then all. I went to where they were afterwards - no blood. I was quite disappointed, and had a sore nose from scope bite on that last shot

The final morning me and JJensen were in the same spot. I was disappointed about my previous day’s miss, so I decided that if they huge 3 point came out I would take him. He would be a great trophy. JJensen started his drive again, only to push way more does out today. They congregated in the middle of the river flat looking nervous. From about 2km up river, I noticed a big bodied deer hastily moving towards the does. I put my spotting scope on him and in disbelief realized it was the buck I missed the night before. I repositioned myself to prone, and waited for him to come in. He stopped with the does at around 400 yards. He was milling around, when I saw JJensen emerge from his push. I knew I didn’t have long to get this buck on the ground, and two of his does ran to an escape route far up from me. I thought I had lost him there, but he remained. Although I missed at 400 yards the day before, I was in a much better shooting position today. I lined him up as he was quartering towards me sniffing a doe to his left. Bang. I looked through my scope to see him fall to his haunches. He started sniffing the does again. I couldn’t figure what happened, but as the does got nervous they started jogging towards me. Bang. I put another one right in the vitals, but he kept coming. Bang. Finally my last shot - a poor one in his back knee put him down. He was dead from the shot to the vitals when I got to him.

Pictures are below, but he is a non typical 7x5 with a very heavy left side. Defiantly the character buck I was after.

The remainder of the trip was spent chasing whitetails for JJensen - needless to say he didn’t connect, but not without any chances

Ill leave that story for him to tell.

Pics are coming. Photobucket isnt working for me atm!

BCrams
11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Congrats on taking a non-typical.

A couple points -

Sounds like you need shooting practice!! :) 400 yard shots are extremely tough to make and I wouldn't recommend it for most hunters.

Where was your hunter host in all of the drives and shooting?

Look forward to the pics.

WoodOx
11-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Hunter host was sitting with me during both drives and behind me about 100 yards during the first shots that I missed.

Dont worry, I know the rules that hunter host has to be with you at all times!

BCrams
11-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Just asking ! :mrgreen:

I'm sure he must have been yelling and cussin at your misses!!!

jessbennett
11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
at least his deer was down.........happens to the best of us right??:wink: congrats on your sucess by the way 8)

Hank Hunter
11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Congrats bud, sounds like good old buck fever. Hope the nose is ok. what caliber where you shooting ?

WoodOx
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
.300 Win Mag.

buck/bear fever! one shot hit in the spring on a bear, but still mnaged to cut my eye brow good lol.

MB_Boy
11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
.300 Win Mag.

buck/bear fever! one shot hit in the spring on a bear, but still mnaged to cut my eye brow good lol.

gaucher.......maybe it is time you looked into a .243?? :lol: :wink:

Just kiddin! Congrats on the deer.....looking forward to pictures.

todbartell
11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
why dont you host the pics in the HBC gallery

Iron-Head
11-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Pics! Congrats man sounds like a sweet animal.

WoodOx
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
why dont you host the pics in the HBC gallery

Ill try right now. I think my comp is buggered - cant post em in photobucket, cant send em through hotmail forsomeone else to post. Ill try HBC

Elkhound
11-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I too await the pics. Congrats on the buck

browningboy
11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Congrats auguasher! Waitin for the pics!:)

3kills
11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
congrats cant wait to see the pics....

trigger
11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Good story man. Congrats on the buck. Sounds like alot of action eh.

jjensen20
11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Sounds like you need shooting practice!! :) 400 yard shots are extremely tough to make and I wouldn't recommend it for most hunters.

In alberta your lucky if you get a any closer than 300 yds.

all in all it was an awsome trip agaucher got a gorgeous buck and i had a crack at a 140 class whitetail but with temps reaching -40 with the windchill and after a long belly crawl stalk my saftey was frozen in the "safe" position so needless to say i couldn't take the shot but i cant say i didnt get a chance!!

Marc
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
my saftey was frozen in the "safe" position so needless to say i couldn't take the shot but i cant say i didnt get a chance!!

I've heard if you put your toung on your safety it thaws it out.:biggrin:

Deaddog
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for sharing the story, sounds like a great hunt, those long shots can be tough but you did a bang up job when you needed to, good for you

WoodOx
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
My mulie - side view:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0018.jpg

Mulie front view:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0013.jpg

Another front view:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG38Fixed.jpg

River flat where I shot my mule deer:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0039.jpg

WoodOx
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
JJensen's "The one that got away":

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/image44fixed.jpg

Elkhound
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Nice heavy beams on that one. Again....nice deer. Congrats are in order

bighornbob
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
How long have you been applying for to get a mule deer tag?

BHB

The Hermit
12-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Great Buck!! About that scope bite... perhaps adjusting the mount to give you a little more relief? BTW - I'm a great one to talk. :oops:

30-06
12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
nice loking buck congrates

WoodOx
12-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys - he Gross scored 177 clean

Nets out at 165 1/4. He is 26'' wide at widest inside spread, and one interesting number is on his left side the widest width (due to palmation where one of the nontypical points starts) measures 9 1/2'' round. I thought that width was impressive atleast.

I think I am going to get him mounted, but cant QUITE decide. Gotta decide before monday!

Mr. Dean
12-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Grrreat deer.

GoatGuy
12-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Nice job! Congrats!

Why Monday?

WoodOx
12-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Why Monday?

Weather is startin to get warm and the head will thaw out, no room in the freezer unfortunatly. Too full of moose and venison!

GoatGuy
12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Weather is startin to get warm and the head will thaw out, no room in the freezer unfortunatly. Too full of moose and venison!

Turn and salt or take it to your taxi and he/she will do it. If you don't end up getting it mounted your taxi should give you $50-$60 for it or you can keep it for the future.

Hope your exams are going well.

WoodOx
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Hope your exams are going well.

Thanks, exams start Tuesday - business and canadian govt policy and man science will be the toughest, but neither should be too bad.

You done for the season, hunting, GG?

-Andrew

GoatGuy
12-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks, exams start Tuesday - business and canadian govt policy and man science will be the toughest, but neither should be too bad.

You done for the season, hunting, GG?

-Andrew

Man sci will be the hard one - good luck!!!!!:lol:

Nope, one more kick at the cat - headed to hell's half acre tomorrow afternoon after I get in. Looking for a special buck, hopefully I'll get a peak at him tomorrow or Sunday.