PDA

View Full Version : How too treat a bear skull??

Steeleco
09-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Like I know I could be bringing the Bear SMOJIES upon myself for asking before I get a bear (PLEASEEEEEE) But could anyone out there before you all take off on your respective trips give me a few pointers on preserving a skull once I've got it skined out and defleshed as much as possible. I tried once before but it didn't work well at all. Thanks in advance. Steeleco

3kills
09-03-2004, 08:31 AM
bonez was the guy that gave me all the how toos on it....

Steeleco
09-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I expect he's the man also, I'm sure I'll be hearing from him soon. 8)

bochunk2000
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
I have done a couple of heads on bears. I boil the head in plain water for a couple of hours to cook off the remaining meat and the brain. Hose out the brain hole to get all of the brain matter out. Strain the water to see if any of the small teeth have come out. they will need to be glued back in later. I then boil the skull in water new water with hydrogyn peroxide. Keep an eye on it, only boil it until it turns white. Too long and you will disolve all of the intricate small bones like those in the nasal cavaty. Strain this water too. Then I let it air dry. Glue in any teeth that came out and your set.

Steeleco
09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I didn't know about the Hydrogen peroxide, I did the first few steps and eveything fell apart like you said. At least the meat was good!!!!!!
I'll have to try again. SOOOOOOON Thx

bochunk2000
09-03-2004, 01:09 PM
glad I could help there are also a few ways to secure the lower jaw in whatever position you want to.

bone-collector
09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
you only need to boil it until the meat starts rolling back, check it every 15 minuts and peel some off , I never use peroxide , I like the natural look is the only reason why , if your worried about losing teeth, just boil it long nuff to get any big chunks off and stick the skull in a bucket , cover it so dogs and cats cant drag it off and leave it , blowflies will do the rest , ants will get in there as well

Foxer
09-04-2004, 12:42 AM
you only need to boil it until the meat starts rolling back, check it every 15 minuts and peel some off , I never use peroxide , I like the natural look is the only reason why , if your worried about losing teeth, just boil it long nuff to get any big chunks off and stick the skull in a bucket , cover it so dogs and cats cant drag it off and leave it , blowflies will do the rest , ants will get in there as well

I've used this method many times on various skulls - it really works well. The meat doesn't stink because it's been partially cooked, and it doesn't 'gel' into slime either. The bugs do a surprising job. Just put it in anything where the flies can get in, but the animals can't.

You may still lose a tooth or two - but just glue 'em back in. It's no big deal.

Another trick i've heard is to get as much meat off as you can, and then sink it in shallow water at low tide at the beach. The crabs will work it over for you pretty quick - but it's got to be close enough to shore that the little guys can really get in there.

You can also bury it if you're worried about animals. But i find above ground works best. Hanging it from a tree in your yard in an onion bag isn't a bad idea if you don't want the skull with you at ground level.

I never use bleach, but a very light hydrogen peroxide (weak mixture) then a rinse can help keep it from smelling. I've not found a need to bother tho. the important bit is get out as much of the brains as you can. that's the tough part.

bone-collector
09-04-2004, 09:42 AM
I never lost any teeth during the boiling or carving the meat, I found that direct sunlight will make them fall out after prolonged exposure though :x , my 1 skull that was in the wifes plant pots in the window lost quite a few teeth over a couple of years , a buddy found a cure for that , he sprays the skulls with indoor/outdoor clearcoat paint , gives the skull a nice shine and everything stays glued in

Steeleco
09-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the hints. All I need to do now is to find a BEAR. Tired twice already and no luck. (8-6 and 3-13) Chealis this weekend should be better chances.

Foxer
09-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Good luck steel!!! - Shoot uphill!

Thunderstix
09-16-2004, 07:16 AM
What ever the little crabs don't get, the sea lice will......it is probably the other way around.

ratherbefishin
09-20-2004, 09:01 AM
I've done several European style deer skull mounts, simply boiled away the meat and tissue, scrubbed it clean with a stiff bristled brush and then swabbed down with peroxide to bleach it-the process is very uncomplicated and produces nice results