PDA

View Full Version : Target attack

Rod
11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had a 3D target attcked by a deer during the rut?

Our 3D buck was recently bowled over hard enough to loosen the antlers.

I'm thinking I should give it a good dose of rutting buck scent and set it up below my tree stand.

Rod

bigwhiteys
11-24-2006, 10:05 PM
We have a friend in FSJ who every year sets out his 3D whitey buck only to go and collect all the pieces the next morning. He'll do this the whole deer season and the bucks will destroy it every single night. It's hilarious.

I think a doe decoy with doe in estrus would do better to draw in a good buck personally.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Blacktail
11-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I have had it happen a number of times
Once I had a decoy out and a blacktail comes in and just hammers it and takes off before I could even get my bow drawn back
Freaky.........hehe8)

huntwriter
11-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I have used decoys on several occasions with great success. Never used a buck decoy for the reasons Blackteil describes. A buck most likely will rush in destroy the buck decoy then figure out it is a scam swap ends and be gone before you can get a shot off. Deer are not stupid!

Decoys work best when set up just before the hunt use some doe in heat scent, provided you hunt the rut, and use some doe calls. Setting up a decoy the day before the hunt defeats the purpose of the surprise. By the time you go hunting every buck in the area will know about the fake doe and avoid the place like the plague.

One more thing about decoys. Never use them on land where other hunters have access too. If you do you’re liable of getting yourself shot.