PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes things are meant to be

farside
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
It is only now that I feel I can write about our little buddy, Toto
(aka Maggot) who died tragically 2 weeks ago. He was not a hunting dog but he really was our buddy.

He was getting on in years (14) and had developed some substantial health issues in the last 6 months or so. Enlarged heart and started having seizures. We had made the decison to have him put down, only to change our minds and try to get his seizures under control. One last try so to speak.

Well we got him on the new medication and for the 1st 18 hours it was all good - no seizures. He was out in the garage with Scott (checkin out the deer) then he wandered away. Scott came in about 1/2 hr later to ask if the dog was in the house. Nope. We started looking as he was never a dog to leave the yard. About 1 hr later Scott found him dead in our creek. He had drown. Probably had a seizure while crossing the small bridge and fell in.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, god or whoever has other plans.

Our big guy (Joey the GSP) has finally come around and stopped pineing for his little buddy. They have been together 11 yrs this month. Actually started to eat normal again on Sunday and happy dog again by wednesday. So things have gotten better.

Anyways - he was a nasty dirty filthy beasty that had no right to the name Toto, but we will miss our little "Maggot" to no end.

craigchaplin
11-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry to hear about yer bud.......always hard to lose part of the family.

Jagermeister
11-24-2006, 10:11 PM
We "Dog People" sure suffer the loss when one of the pack expire. It's funny how they grow on us. I have one in my pack that just turned 15 years on the 21st, a large dog of Akita/Collie linage. Looks like a Norbottenspet as pictured in this link http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/norbottenspets.htm . Still thinks she's a puppy when she bounces around on occasion but you can tell the age when she pushes herself up from laying down. It will be a remorseful day when the "Master" calls her home.
RIP Toto.
Condolences to the rest of the pack.

Beverly
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
It is only now that I feel I can write about our little buddy, Toto
(aka Maggot) who died tragically 2 weeks ago. He was not a hunting dog but he really was our buddy.

He was getting on in years (14) and had developed some substantial health issues in the last 6 months or so. Enlarged heart and started having seizures. We had made the decison to have him put down, only to change our minds and try to get his seizures under control. One last try so to speak.

Well we got him on the new medication and for the 1st 18 hours it was all good - no seizures. He was out in the garage with Scott (checkin out the deer) then he wandered away. Scott came in about 1/2 hr later to ask if the dog was in the house. Nope. We started looking as he was never a dog to leave the yard. About 1 hr later Scott found him dead in our creek. He had drown. Probably had a seizure while crossing the small bridge and fell in.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, god or whoever has other plans.

Our big guy (Joey the GSP) has finally come around and stopped pineing for his little buddy. They have been together 11 yrs this month. Actually started to eat normal again on Sunday and happy dog again by wednesday. So things have gotten better.

Anyways - he was a nasty dirty filthy beasty that had no right to the name Toto, but we will miss our little "Maggot" to no end.

:sad: sorry to hear! From experience making that big choice for them is SO HARD (like one of the hardest I've ever had to make)....and then of course one is left wondering if they did the right thing or if they could have tried something else. When they pass without assistance it can be a bit easier on the humans as they do not have to question themselves.

I have 2 oldies here....one 11 y/o in extremely good health right now but the other has bilatteral Hip Displasya and had a $2000 surgery just a few mths ago to remove multiple mammary masses. They got them all and she had no lumps left...what I did not count on tho was that just a few mths later she has developed WAY more so it had already spread, we just didn't know it yet. She's 13 and her hips give her more trouble every day....I've made the choice not to remove the new masses as it will only extend a life without quality due to the increasing hip problem.
I am not looking forward to having to send her off once her quality of life gets real bad :-( (she had a rough life before she came to live with me just this past April and really does deserve a pampered life for longer than she has had) For now she does very well with Metacam/ Glucosamine and such.

Hope your other dog perks back up soon. I have found that it is very good for the other animals to "view" the one that has passed. (Although this is not an easy thing for the people to do) Often they fall into a depression if they do not know where they went.

Sasquatch
11-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Condolences farside. I know how it feels to lose a friend like that.
Sounds like he had it pretty good living with you though.

overthetop
01-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Holy crap we just had our little guy put down on the 28th. He had an enlarged heart. Also was having sezures. He wasn't old. On the 28th I was at work, night shift and couldn't get away...he was sezuring for 20 min...wife took him to the after hours vet...thy said we couldn't do anything...they gave him IV and O2....no help...kept sezuring. had to put him down an hour later. My wife held him...It hurts me so bad to talk about it. We had him since a puppy....RIP Darwin. Our other dog just looks out the window and cries all day. They have never been apart since they were both 3 mos old.

BlacktailStalker
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear, as long as he had the life you felt he deserved, thats all a dog could have asked for.

overthetop
01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Yup. I am a nurse at the hospital and I see what happens to people when they can't be put down. It's the right thing to do.

rock
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Sorry to here about your loss, I still have the a picture of the first dog I ever bought in my truck, since then I've owned many others only to lose them all with age the worst part is to see any animal suffer specially your dogs my last one had heart problems in which my wife took him in only for him to have a heart attack in the vets office. He was such a good pup and lived to the age of 14 yrs, but we still have 3 more dogs ranging from 4 to 9 yrs old, our household always has dogs in it there part of are life, doesn't help when your better half is always saying yes to dogs she gets from people or breaders so they have some what of a life and property to roam on. Each and every dog we have owned was a part of our family and are all greatly missed for all there different characteristics.