PDA

View Full Version : hunting with a bow

COHO
11-23-2006, 10:23 PM
How long did you shoot at a target befor shooting a rear deer or moose or?

QnsCowboy
11-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Seemed like forever... I started shooting a bow in November 1999 at an old target my brother (Nails) lent me, went on a late bow season hunt to Texada Island the following January, and threw one arrow at one deer...Had buck fever like I hadn't experienced in 15 years, and of course missed by a mile....But the following season, got my first Deer and have never looked back...I love it......:)

Craig

5/10/85
11-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Got my bow in 1998. Got my CORE in 2002, shot at my first deer in 2003, killed two deer in 2005, a bear and a deer this year (all under 35 yds). But depends on how often you practice.

Kirby
11-24-2006, 01:13 AM
I started shooting when I was 5 or 6, I shot my first animal when I was 12 With my bow. My first deer with a bow was at 16.

Kirby

huntwriter
11-24-2006, 06:04 AM
I purchased my first bow when I arrived in Illinois, America in January of 1993 after watching a bowhunting video. Due to a hectic travel schedule I only was able to practice one to two days per week. Later that year I was able to shoot the bow every day for two month and got very confident. I spent another month practicing shooting from different hunting positions such as from a treestand, from behind a tree, sitting, kneeling and so on. When the hunting season opened on October 1st of 1993 I felt very confident to take the bow on a hunting trip and shot my first whitetail buck on public land two days later. Have been hooked on bowhunting ever since.:smile:

troutseeker
11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Got my first bow in 1985 in Germany while stationned there. I shot it a lot at targets but there was no hunting opportunity for me there... Came back to Canada in 1990 and shot my first deer with it then. I've since taken a dozen deer, rabbits, grouse with it. I am actually going out the door in a few minutes to hunt der for a few hours....

Troutseeker

Gateholio
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I started shooting a long bow when I was in grade 3 however old that is:lol:

It took me until grade 9 to actually go hunting. I was 14 when I killed my first deer, with a 46# traditional longbow.

Startign as an adult, I woudl imagine iot woudl be a littel shorter time. ;)

dave_fras
11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
i was always shoot bows when i was younger .... but then never fit properly... then i hot my hoyt 2 years ago and ive taken 4 bears and a bunch of deer

Mini_Me
11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I've been shooting a bow since I was 7 or 8. I still haven't taken a shot anything with a pulse with one. Yet.

Bow Walker
11-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Practice, practice, and then practice some more when you feel confident enough go out and practice some more.

Shoot from all different positions as you can imagine, such as huntwriter mentions. Buck fever is a rampant affliction of the novice hunter. Just ask BOWSITTER.

pupper
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I got my first bow in 2004, shot my first bear in spring 2006, then in fall 2006 I shot an elk and a white tail. I shot quite a bit before hunting. I would make sure you do some 3-d shooting prior to hunting becuase it makes you ready for those tricky downhill/sidehill shots that you never really practise on the flat range. In addition 3-d forces you to do some field judging.

rocksteady
11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Bought my cross bow 2 years ago, went out and fired 3 shots, then went hunting.....:lol: :lol: :lol: JUST KIDDING....

Nails
11-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Coho practice until you feel confident, know your limits and take a doe for your first deer if the chance comes along. This builds confidents in your ability and archery gear. Been hook on the bow for 15 plus years now and started with a doe after a spring of practice. good luck

puppychow
12-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I have been hunting with a bow for about 10 years, much more successful with a gun. I hunt with Bochunk, Nails and Qnscowboy. Have not slain anything yet. Had my chances but have been unsuccessful. Two years ago, Nails and Qnscowboy spotted a real nice buck from the truck at about 40 yards. They are both over 6 feet tall and they were standing on the running boards of the huge truck, I was on the ground and stand barely 5 feet tall, unfortunately I could only see the head and the first 3 inches of the back. Their prompting me to shoot went unheeded. I did not shoot! Sorry for the sob story. May be my turn next year!

Nails
12-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Come on Puppy, we all know you could have made that shot,:razz: the way you all ways come out smelling like rose at the shoots. You just want to keep your record going, practicing conservation :lol: :lol: