PDA

View Full Version : shotgun rust....

kishman
11-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi all, well I went out Duck hunting in the rain the other day, great time but no birds sadly. Here's my question; when I got home I broke down my gun for cleaning (it's a Rem. 870 express) rubbed her all down with oil and re-assembled. Today I can still see faint signs of rust on the reciever and barrel, what am I doing wrong? I've been useing a product called "Break Free" to clean and lubricate and the metal on the gun has a black finish. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.

kishman

MichelD
11-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Go here and ask the same question.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

I have an Express too, but I just got it and haven't taken it out yet.

I'm going to experiment with three different products:

1.Turtle wax on the receiver

2. "Sheath" on the barrel

3. Fluid Film on the magazine tube

The Expresses are notorious for rust, and many guys recommend Break Free, so I don't know why you still had rust. Did you dry all surfaces first before oiling?

MooseNuts
11-23-2006, 10:48 AM
I too own an 870 express. I bought it this past summer, I had rust issues the first 3 times I used it this fall so I decided to paint it. I have had no rust problems since!

Rod
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the world of guns... short of a non-rusting (stainless) metal or one of the new finishes like duracoat or powder coating you are going to work at preventing rust for the rest of your days :-)

Nothing wrong with break-free IMHO, make sure your gun is dry, allow it to warm to room temp to reduce condensation then wipe it down with break-free and a rag. over the next two or three days inspect and wipe down and you should be fine.

Don't leave it in a gun case as you are asking for rust and a gun safe with a drying agent is a big plus.

Cheers
Rod

craigchaplin
11-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah......duck guns are gonna rust a bit no matter what you do, they get beat. One reason why i have never bought an expensive one. But you should be able to keep most of it at bay with proper care. Just remember to clean and re-oil it every time you go out. Also i agree a drying do-dad in yer gun safe wil help a whole lot. I picked up a mini-dehumidifier made by remington at cabelas fer 20 er 30 bucks. It plugs into the wall when it indicates it needs recharging. good as new in a few hrs. Good luck

kishman
11-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks all for the advice, I picked up a new oil, G-96 it's called. It seems to work pretty good, I used it with these synthetic scrub pads-the type you'd scrub pots and pans with. Worked real well, removed all the rusty looking bits but left the finish on the gun.
Back at 'er tomorrow, with any luck I'll have some pics to post:) !