PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Arrows

The Hermit
11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I assume arrows need to be balanced? Is that what yoiu guys mean when you say "tuning"? I guess that arrows are not perfectly consistant in thickness shape etc... how do you tune an arrow?

J_T
11-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Well perhaps as a starting point a bit of background on the composition.

I'm not an authority, so I humbley respect I might be off or incomplete in this:
There are three basic compositions to the arrow.
Wood, aluminum and carbon

They come in different stiffnesses. This is referred to as the spine of the arrow. Spine really is the ability of the arrow to flex a certain amount when pressure is applied. IE suspend an arrow 30" and determine the pressure to bend the arrow 1".

Bows are different. Newer bows are mostly aligned such that the arrow should travel down the centre line of the force from the release of the string. (this allows shooter stiffer arrows. IE carbon) Some bows (primitive and typically long bow) require the arrow to bend around the handle (riser). Therefore the spine of the arrow is important.

Hollow arrows (aluminum and carbon) have both varying diameters and thickness of the wall. This also adds to the spine of the arrow.

One way to tune an arrow is to determine the shooters draw length, cut an arrow to suit. Install a tip on the one end and a knock on the other. Shoot the arrow without feathers. If the arrow kicks up and right it is underspined, if it kicks left it is overspined. One technique is to shoot through a sheet of paper and you can see the tear mark.

There are tricks to "tuning" the arrow to stiffen it or soften its spine depending on its flight. Once you have the arrow flying true, install feathers for stability and a broadhead. Continue to shoot and observe the feel and balance of the arrow.... la de da.

The cutting power (Kinetic Energy) of the arrow is determined by both its weight and speed at the moment of impact. With the hollow arrows weight can be increased by inserting something like a bit of rope, or even a appropriate diameter bullet. Small heavy object (bullet) versus longer object (rope) both adds weight and impacts balance.

I shoot traditional and exclusively woods so my knowledge (if I have any) is somewhat one sided in this regard. Others may tune my explanation and add more to the tuning of other equipment.

JT

moosecaller
11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Go to a pro shop and they will be able to set you up with the proper arrows matched to your bow and draw length etc. It is not advisable to explain it in this type of media too many variables to consider. Tuning usually refers to the bow. Modern arrows and manufacturing methods are really good compared to times past.