PDA

View Full Version : Hunting boots

hunter1947
11-21-2006, 06:39 AM
What i am looking for is a set of water prof hunting boots ,were is the best place to buy these boots???? :???: . I was looking at the cabelas hunting book and there are some in there that range from $119.00 to $159.00 .I am tired of getting wet feet everytime i get out in the hunting field :-(. hunter 1947.

BlacktailStalker
11-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey Wayne check out the Rocky Mountain Elk outfitter series of boots from Cabelas, my buddy bought a pair and is quite happy with them.
Quality boots is key in my mind, after all, everything you do is on your feet !

kutenay
11-21-2006, 07:19 AM
For hunting in wet conditions, I like Schnee's rubber-bottom pacboots best. Go to www.schnees.com (http://www.schnees.com) and check them out, they are superb.

Onesock
11-21-2006, 07:39 AM
I second what Kutney said!!

huntermike
11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
I have DANNER boots and i love them (but they are not cheap,200-300$)

vislander
11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I bought a pair of Browning boots from cabellas a few weeks ago,so far they have been great.After exchange,duty and shipping they were $140.

huntermike
11-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I had browning boots (light,comfortable) but they didnt last very long,

Tack
11-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi,
I too have used Danner boots for about 6 years now and they are the best Gore tex boots I have worn. The only disappointing thing is that my latest pair were made in China but I still paid over US$200 for them.
I would guess the best place to start would be a store that stocks a wide range and then pick the most comfortable. Stick with well known brands such as Danner, Rocky, Meindl, etc and haggle, you'd be surprised what deals you can do.
Regards
Tack

kishman
11-21-2006, 09:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken the outdoor show at the Tradex here in Abbotsford is on coming up here in Jan. Thats a great place to get boots of any flavor, I bought boots there last year ( Irish Setter Deer Trackers) for $89.00. I tried on the same boots at Marks workwear 2 weeks before the show and if memory serves they were priced around the $200.00 mark at that time. If you happen to be on the mainland then it'd be worth a look I think. Good luck.

7mmWSM
11-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I have put a lot of miles on a lot of different boots, and the only boot I will wear from now till the day I day is a Meindl boot. These are all leather with vibram soles and a Goretex liner. They will take you through hell and high water and back again, if you treat them right (kind of like a good woman). They are expensive, about 300-350$, but your feet will never be the same again. I am just resoling mine after 5 years of use and they will easily last me another 5 years. As for a vendor, I can highly recommend A.J Brooks on Broadway in Vancouver, the owner is extremely knowledgable and will spend as much time with you as you need to get the right product. PM me if you need directions or if you need further info. Just don't buy Merells!

islandarcher
11-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey Hunter.
I shopped around a lot for my new boots, wanted to stay around the 300.00 mark. I piked up a pair of Italian backpacking boots (AKU) at Valhalla, and so far this season I am very impressed. I did not get to venture out for my goat hunt as I had wanted, but I did have a very difficult pack out with my Island buck. Feet were completly dry, and the boot was very stable climbing steep slopes.
http://www.aku.it/new/index.php?codart=127-050-AI06&lang=en&sid=1&categoria=147&paroladacercare=

The neat thing about these boots is that the tounge has a single gussett, kind of hard to explain, but basically it eliminates a pinch point, making the boot much more comfortable. The nice thing about buying at a store like Valhalla, MEC, ect... is that you can try on many boots, and walking the ramp will really aid in weeding out those uncomfortable pairs.

Nothing worse on a hunt than wet feet, and two places you should not skimp are optics and footwear!

308BAR
11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken the outdoor show at the Tradex here in Abbotsford is on coming up here in Jan. Thats a great place to get boots of any flavor, I bought boots there last year ( Irish Setter Deer Trackers) for $89.00. I tried on the same boots at Marks workwear 2 weeks before the show and if memory serves they were priced around the $200.00 mark at that time. If you happen to be on the mainland then it'd be worth a look I think. Good luck.

I second this if you don't mind the trip to the tradex. The Irish setters were a great deal at the Tradex show. I however picked up a pair of Treksta hunting, gortex, 1000grams of thinsulate insulation $99.00 original $225-250(?) before I came across the Setters. So far I'm happy with them they have a very quiet sole. I'll be heading back to tradex next year and I think I may pick up a couple of pair of boots that are on sale. For the family of course ;)

ryanb
11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Have a look at the Meindl's. The investment might seem large to begin with, but you have to remember that the boots will last that much longer. I bought a pair of Meindl's last summer, and have probably spent over 150 days since, both working and hunting in them. They are still in great shape. Most people average maybe 10-20 days a year in their boots, so figure on several LONG years of service from a good pair of Meindl's.

Franko Manini
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Hunter,

I went through this same loop a couple of months ago. I went to Viberg Boot Factory on Herald Street in Victoria and tried on a ton of boots. They have Danner boots there too. I ended up getting a pair of Danner Frontiers. I tried on the "Trophy" and "Canadian" models and they fit me beautifully, but they were crazy expensive and too heavy. I called Danner and asked them what boots were made on the same lasts as the Trophy/Canadian. They make a "Frontier" model on the same last with the same sole. Leather is a bit lighter and they have some cordura on the sides instead of leather. They are much less expensive.

I could not get them from Viberg, but Cabela's sells them so I put in an order there. They fit just like the Trophy model and are a sweet boot!

Elkhound
11-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I second this if you don't mind the trip to the tradex. The Irish setters were a great deal at the Tradex show. I however picked up a pair of Treksta hunting, gortex, 1000grams of thinsulate insulation $99.00 original $225-250(?) before I came across the Setters. So far I'm happy with them they have a very quiet sole. I'll be heading back to tradex next year and I think I may pick up a couple of pair of boots that are on sale. For the family of course ;)

I bought the Irish Setters for $89 as well. So far so good. 2 seasons and going strong. Just make sure they are the waterproof model. Some are not. Pays to read.

tmarschall
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Wayne... and here I always thought you just had webbed feet and the wet cold feet didn't bother you. Its good to know after all that you are human I guess. Hope you find some good ones, good and heavy also, maybe it will slow you down a bit and I can keep up next time!!!

Hunter4life
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken the outdoor show at the Tradex here in Abbotsford is on coming up here in Jan.

The tradex outdoor show is always the first weekend in march.

I have a pair of irish setter elk trackers that i paid $115(originally $225) for at marks work warehouse and they have lasted two seasons without too much damage. They do not leak but I make sure to seal them thoroughly before each hunt. The only thing i have against them so far is the evident lack of ankle support. When I buy boots again i will get meindls because the setters just dont compare.

H4L

K.A
11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I have these, they are great, warm, comfy and 100% wareproof.Irish setter.raptors

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/images/boots/large/2850.jpg

tooty
11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I have two pairs .Irishsetters from Cabellas,Rocky rangers from Bass Pro Shops.Cherry pick the sales out of the bargain basement.You might have to wait awhile till the ones you like are on sale,they have all the best brands.The Irishsetters I have are more heavy duty for tuff climbing,sharp rocks,colder weather.The Rocky Rangers are a great all around boot,less thinsulate,a little lighter,both are gortex.Both boots are the same height.Get a good high boot 8'' 9'' then no water or crap can get in.Just wait for the sales ,I got the Rockys for $59.00 us plus shipping.Cheap for Gortex ,600 grams thinsulate.Those were from Bass Pro .

bsa30-06
11-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a pair of irishsetter (shadow trekker) they are lightwieght, comfortable, waterproof, and have 800 grams thinsulate insulation.I like them they served me well this year and i barely put a mark in them.

Ajsawden
11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
I have two pairs of Irish Setter. My first pair which lasted two years are great. Ive never had a more comfortable boot, but the sole has lost all its tread. They are water proof, warm, lightweight and comfortable. Im sure prices vary... I paid $169 in Duncan.

hoss
11-21-2006, 08:49 PM
You don't always have to buy expensive or brand name boots to get what you want. About 5 years ago i bought TREKSTA brand hunting boots from Capitol Iron for about $140. they have thinsulite and gortex and i figured that they might last two seasons. i've gone past my knees in water more times than i care to admit and i still come out with dry socks!

BCLongshot
11-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Danner Frontier Extremes I have beat these things like crazy and they're still like new and waterproof.

$ 200 at Hub sports in Abby everyone else wanted lots more.

Johnnybear
11-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I've used Irish Setters Elk Trackers for 1 1/2 seasons now and love them. All leather, gortex liner, good sole. Paid around 225.00 but well worth it. Just some artic dubin a couple times a year to protect the stiching etc. The only problem with them is they are too warm in september:-?.

DropTines
11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I heard from my uncle that a guy he knew bought a pair of rockys for his elk trip in the kootenays and they feel apart after a week, I just have a cheap pair of Kamik boots but they work well
________
XL125V (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_XL125V)

Beaverhunter
11-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I bought my Irish Setter's for 200 and the are awesome I would never buy anything else.

weatherby 49
11-23-2006, 09:41 PM
same for myself and my son..Irish Setters for boots.Quiet/dry and comfy.
As far as local stores go..try Granland Sports in Campbell River.That little store is awesome.I bought my Tika T3 Lite 300 WM from him,and he was only a $25 difference from Wholesale Sport..PLUS..thru in a gun case,or a box of shells..and about 10 targets.Mounted my Leopold 3-9 variax 2 and was out the door a happy hunter.Also a good store for reloading as well..lots of powders and RCBS reloading items
cheers
weatherby 49

blaker_99
11-23-2006, 10:19 PM
i own the cabelas whitetail stalker boots. Walked through creeks, snow, rain etc. and the boots are amazing and well priced cheers..... i even think they are offered in a Scent Lok style

Fisher-Dude
11-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I wear Danner Santiams. They are all leather with a gortex liner and thinsulate. This is the 6th season I've worn these boots and they still keep my feet dry. Use NikWax and the leather stays supple and keeps moisture out. They are BIG dollars ($400 plus tax) but worth it. They last.

I tried Danners before that were leather/cordura and they all leaked right around the end of the warranty. A bootmaker explained to me that for a high miler like me (I expect some beaking about my quad! :tongue: ), the cordura doesn't last as the fibres begin to separate and let water in by the stitching.

My buddy has had a few pairs of Rockies and they disintegrated. The soles delaminated completey and chunked apart. They also seem to have zero ankle support (the all cordura ones). Another friend has Irish Setters, he says they are warm and dry but tend to blister his heels because of the way the rear seam is finished off.

Remember, wet feet SUCK. :lol:

Islandeer
11-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Elkaholic, these Danners, are they fairly supportive in the ankles? What type of soles. I have a pair of Meindles that offer good support but have no thinsulate. So you don't tip over as much but the tootsies freeze. 8)

Fisher-Dude
11-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Elkaholic, these Danners, are they fairly supportive in the ankles? What type of soles. I have a pair of Meindles that offer good support but have no thinsulate. So you don't tip over as much but the tootsies freeze. 8)

They have pretty good support, and the soles are the Danner bob design. I like the traction of the bobs compared to vibram soles I've had in the past. They don't seem to have much of a break-in period like some of the Meindles and Vass (sp?) have.

Click on "Zoom/Additional Views" to see the soles.

http://www.danner.com/product/hunting/insulated/santiam+8%27%27+400+gram.do

Islandeer
11-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks, I will put these on my short list.

Gunner
11-24-2006, 02:42 PM
For late season mule deer,and sitting on a Whitetail stand Rocky boots with 1200gr insulation.For everything else in the mountains,Meindl Canada Pros! Gunner.

Krico
11-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Lots of good boots out there, just don't order something from Cabela's-buying boots without trying them on is like buying a car without a test drive...My Merrels are now at the end of their 3rd year, I use them year round and they are in great shape. All I've done is add some insoles this fall to snug them up as they had stretched a little.

hunter1947
11-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks everone for all your input ,will try the trek sta boots at capitol iron. hunter 1947.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

tomigunz
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Irish setter gore-tex boots work great, the Tamarak in a 800grm or the deer tracker also. You cant go wrong with them. Dry and light weight

Benthos
11-30-2006, 09:31 AM
does anybody know if any stores in Prince George sell those Irish Setter boots?

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks everone for all your input ,will try the trek sta boots at capitol iron.

Wayne those boots are the absolute SHITS. I have owned a pair for the last two years. They've been through two sheep hunts, a few bear hunts, and a few deer hunts. They were trashed beyond belief (after the first year), hurt my feet and I will never buy them again.

If you're doing mostly light walking, and on flat terrain then they are probably a good boot can't recommend them for anything else though.

That's the last time I spend $125 on boots though.

I've now ordered a set of boots from Lathrop & Sons down in the states. They are podiatrists (foot doctors) and also hunters, they need weight bearing tracings of your feet and plenty of digitial pictures. They calibrate your foot and find the right boot for you.

My boot "system" cost me close to $700 CAD but they will last a lot longer and keep my feet comfortable in whatever terrain I throw at them.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

GoatGuy
12-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Didn't even know there was a boot thread!

Best boots IMHO are Scarpas and Meindls. I've left a couple pair of the danner air bob soles on the mountain side - litterally walked right out of them. Had two pairs of irish setter @ $300+ one set lasted two months the other lasted 3 weeks and they were leaking like crazy. They're also extremely soft in the sole which makes for a nightmare in the steep stuff especially when there's a bit of snow. My buddy's who hunt a fair chunk use Meindls and have had great experiences and I get atleast 1 yr out of Scarpa's which I consider a long time and well worth it. They're hard to break in but they have great soles and they take a beating.:lol: A dream to use when hiking in steep, rocky stuff as compared to others.

Happy hunting!

tuchodi
12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
When I was young and did lots of Mountain hunting I used only Meindl. They were the only ones that lasted for me. Since I now only look at the Mountains with my binoc's I have used Vasque boots and they stand up very well. I own a pair of Irish Setters which are insulated and I use them for colder days. Like so many have said your boots are the most important piece of equipment you use. Make sure you walk around home as much as you can before you go into the hills with your new boots to break them in.

Frango
12-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I have irish setter elk hunters.Great boot.Very very comfortable but a little warm on all but cool days.Just take them off in camp and wear camp sandals.

Deaddog
12-17-2006, 12:06 PM
The only boot I have tried that will stand up to what I require is meindl's , this year I went to the canada pro meindls they are quite high and require a bit more to break in but I am extremely happy with them

7 mag
12-17-2006, 12:44 PM
The Meindl's are perhaps the best built & most foolproof boot money can buy, I am on my 3rd pair since 1988.
The 1st pair are completly worn out with countlees mtn miles on them, The 2nd pair are still going strong.
As for price - You only get what you pay for.

elkguide
12-17-2006, 01:32 PM
this is a great thread, Over the years I have trashed almost every boot I've ever used save for two I have for mountains a pair of Asolo granite gtx , hands down the toughest mountain boot I've ever used and for alround elk,moose hunting look to dafoe outdoors, again you are gonna get what you pay for. these boots range from 250-400 dollars. but you'll by dry and comfy. I just got the dafoe boots this year and after 60 or more days of everycondition imaginable the a awsome boots.

Nooker77
12-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Pay the money and get a pair of Mendels....climb the rocks or stand in the creek...its all good with mendels...cant be beat as far as I'm concerned!!8-)

dana
12-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Don't even buy Danners. The most expensive pieces of shit I've ever worn. Blew them out in 6 months. Absolute Garbage!!!! Meindl's are decent. Only took me a year to blow them out. Granted they were a used pair that a client of mine gave me. He was from AZ and the boots had never seen water before. Looked pretty much new. The soles came right off of them. Granted I was workin' in Blue River at the time and had to ribbon the shit out of them just to get back to the truck. Yea, great boot alright.

model88
12-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I currently use Scarpa's, great boot, but took forever too break in. I bought a pair of Rockys just too have for back up, the first time I wore them I helped pack out a moose, so far no issues with the Rockys just not sure how long they will last.

My favorite pair was a pair of Danners that I bought 10 years ago, awesome boot, finally retired them last year. Looked at some new Danners, not even close to my old pair.

Islandeer
12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
I just bought my son's pairs of Asolo's. I will be getting a pair too. They are bombproof.

Fisher-Dude
12-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Didn't even know there was a boot thread!

Best boots IMHO are Scarpas and Meindls. I've left a couple pair of the danner air bob soles on the mountain side - litterally walked right out of them. Had two pairs of irish setter @ $300+ one set lasted two months the other lasted 3 weeks and they were leaking like crazy. They're also extremely soft in the sole which makes for a nightmare in the steep stuff especially when there's a bit of snow. My buddy's who hunt a fair chunk use Meindls and have had great experiences and I get atleast 1 yr out of Scarpa's which I consider a long time and well worth it. They're hard to break in but they have great soles and they take a beating.:lol: A dream to use when hiking in steep, rocky stuff as compared to others.

Happy hunting!

I call BS on this post. Anyone who knows GG knows that he only wears cowboy boots and velcro runners. We have a picture of him buying the velcros at a Saan store. Don't believe a word he says. :rolleyes:

~T-BONE~
12-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm convinced as I now own a pair of Makalu pros made by Meindl.. They sure are a solid boot. Just go check em out! I'm sure you will be too!!!

Chuck
12-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Has anyone heard of a company called "Blacks of Greenoch"? There once was a distributor in Ontario (Toronto?). Supposed to be famous for supplying everyone in Britain with everything from A to Z in top quality gear. Apparently the best boots money can buy were sold by them. Just wondering. Same informer says best boots come from Italy. Whoduthunkit!

Gateholio
12-23-2006, 01:46 AM
For "regular" (not custom) boots you would be hard pressd to find beter mountain boots than Miendel. if you *PROPERLY CARE* for them, they should last a good long time.

Too many people think that boots shoudl be put on, and a bit of Sno Seal slapped on them., and thst is it..

I *wish* I coudl wear my Meindals, but after a few years, it became clear that they were just too narrow for me (as my feet are Flinstone wide) and I have ordered some customs.

Ive had a few pairs of boots befroe my feet got so wide, and I have found that if you take care of boots, they will last.

Meindals can be resoled if you take car eof them. Don't expect your truck engine to run wihtout changing the oil, and dont expect your gear to work without maintaing it...

I've gone the semiu custom route wiht my "average" hunting boots, and I have a pair of Van Gorkum mountaineer boots on the way, they shoudl be ready in February. I can hardly wait,it's been a year!!

eastkoot
12-26-2006, 05:06 PM
If you can find them, have a close look at Gronells. http://www.gronell.it/hunting_images/savana1r.jpg (http://www.gronell.it/gb/hunting_file/hunting.htm#)

hunter1947
01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
What are you forum members doing to me :frown: ,i am so confused i don't no which way to turn. Hears what i would like to know with your set of hunting boots ,tell me how many years you have had them or how many miles or klm you have put on the boots in one year in rough train :???: hunter 1947.

30-06
01-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I Like The Rocky Boots..there camo,water proof,really warm,good ankle support,windproof,good tread,,and VERY light

Deaddog
01-11-2007, 09:20 AM
In answer to your question of miles and years on boots, I have used meindls for about fourteen years, on average I get two seasons out of them, I put on on average between 7 and 8 hundred kilometers on them a year, I use them only for hunting or recreational/work backpacking. The majority of the fellows I hunt with also use meindls and when only using them for hunting are getting five to six years out of them. I have used van gorkums, great boot, but again I only got two seasons out of them. If you are using your boots only for hunting and are in the middle of the pack as far as usage goes you should get five or more years out of them. hope this helps8-)

Tack
01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
What are you forum members doing to me :frown: ,i am so confused i don't no which way to turn. Hears what i would like to know with your set of hunting boots ,tell me how many years you have had them or how many miles or klm you have put on the boots in one year in rough train :???: hunter 1947.
Hi,
Let me try and sort this out.
I have owned boots by Meindl and Danner and they have never ley me down. They have covered literally hundreds of miles and have always come back for more.
Try before you buy, go for a recognised brand and wear the same socks you hunt in when testing the fit. If you carry a pack ask in the store for a weighted pack or take your own. The boots will feel considerably different carrying a weight.
The best advice I can give you is to seek a specialist store and pay for the privilege. You won't be disappointed.
Tack

Benthos
01-13-2007, 05:09 PM
i'm confused as well. there are so many opinions on boots, etc, it is hard to know what to buy.

if anybody has any input, i am mostly a moose/deer hunter. i need a new pair of boots. after looking at this thread, i was thinking irish setters elk trackers (or Tamaracks), or, danner canadians.

any thoughts? i'll be using them to hike through cutblocks, trails and through swamps while moose hunting.

thanks

SAVAGE300
01-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Bought a pair of Prospectors 15 yrs ago $350, Lifetime warrantee on soles had new soles 7 yrs ago and still going, probably have more miles than my most recent car, still very comfortable dry and warm mind you I look after them. just my 2 bits

Tack
01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi,
Following on from my last post it is considerably easier to re-sole boots when they are stitched on. Several brands including Irish Setter, Danner, Gronell and many of the hand made boots mentioned are made in this way.
I have found that the traditional construction methods and good, old-fashioned full grain leather uppers combined with a stitched in tongue and calf leather lining make for a comfortable long lasting boot.
Tack

Mattimoose
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I like high Nokia Chain-saw boots with Kevlar safety toe or just high Knee- high Nokia rubbers with felts for Moose hunting.

scoot
01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I Like The Rocky Boots..there camo,water proof,really warm,good ankle support,windproof,good tread,,and VERY light
I will be running into my 3 season with my Rocky's. Awsome insulation, ancle support and never had a leak. The past two years, 3 serious hike hunts with pack each year. I be pushin near 800 k's on them I bet.

Fisher-Dude
01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
My buddy's Rockies blew apart like a pair of $10 WalMart sneakers. The soles were in chunks all over the ground and the ankles were shot. They leaked too. I think he got 1 1/2 seasons out of them. Maybe just bad luck?

huntcoop
01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Danner Canadians have been the ticket for me. Durability is incredible, very warm with 600 grams of Thinsulate, awesome ankle support, great sole design, Gore-Tex lining for dryness, what more can be said???

ruttinbuck
01-17-2007, 07:11 AM
I wear Meindl Canadapro for mountain hunting,I bought a pair of Cabelas made by Danner "elk hunter" 8 inch height boots last fall.I wanted the thinsulate for late season.Great boots for the price,awesome support, lace toe to calf.I wanted the 10 inch model for max support but settled on the 8.RB

wetcoasthunter
01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Anyone know who (if anyone) carries the Irish Setter boots on the island, hopefully one that is close to Victoria? Thanks guys.

bigwhiteys
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Here are the two Irish Setter dealers on the island... Not hunting specialty stores but I imagine they would order what you needed.

FOOT SOLUTIONS
100 - 931 FORT STREET
VICTORIA BC V8V 3K3
250-382-3668

A-ONE SAFETY & INDUSTRIAL SUPPLIES
85 TRUNK ROAD
DUNCAN BC V9L 2N7
250-748-4232

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Frango
01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Gone fishing in nanaimo has them as well.

rocksteady
01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
So much discussion, lots of personal opinion....

There is not a silver bullet out there for boots. If there was everyone would be making the same style, material etc.

It depends on where you hunt: steep, dry, rocky, sandy, wet, swampy etc.

It depends on how you take care of your boots. Do you pull them off and then roast them by the campfire at high intensity each day for 10 days.??

It depends on how you walk (do you roll your ankles in your natural stride) do you favour one leg over the other???

You basically have to try a pair and see what works and what lasts for you.

I have had a pair of Prospectors, they only lasted about 10 years before they crapped. I had a pair of Meindl's, they lasted about the same. I just bought my 2nd pair of Meindl's last summer ($500) and I am hoping that they last as well as the first pair.

In my profession as a wildland fire fighter, my boots (the same ones I use for hunting) take a real beating on a daily basis. Then once fire season is over I beat the hell out of them in Hunting season...

I would go with whatever boot you feel is appropraite for your hunting activity within your price range. You may get lucky and have them last or they may blow out on you.

Like I say there is no silver bullet that suits all people under all conditions...

johnes50
01-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I was just came back from Eagle Eye Outfitters in Sooke and they have Asolo boots on at 1/2 price. Was $299.00, now $150.00. 1-888-543-2453 They don't have my size though. John

browningboy
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I use Brownings 1200 gram high shocks with vibram soles, they've been awesome, walked through creeks past my ankles, hiked in snow, mud, always had dry and warm feet, cost is 350.00 but got sick and tired of wet or cold feet, so far the brownings are hitting their 6th year, so I will vouch for them. My buddy hunts with the rocky boots and loves them, just anything good and or proven is the way to go, you feet will thank you.

Rubicon500
02-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I myself have a pair of Irish Setters and they have held up well for past 2 seasons. But to way to Soft of a boot for Sheep Hunting and The Rocky Alpine. Definatly Keep the Feet dry and warm tho!! I Just orderd the Lowa Sheep Hunter GTX and looking foward to try them out this year

wetcoasthunter
03-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I just got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers, what do you guys suggest treating them with (they recommend on the boot to use silicone or leather protector??), and should I treat them before heading into the bush? Thanks guys.

Mr. Dean
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I like mink oil.

Tack
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I just got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers, what do you guys suggest treating them with (they recommend on the boot to use silicone or leather protector??), and should I treat them before heading into the bush? Thanks guys.
Hi,
The Elk Trackers are made of leather with an oily texture. If the instructions say to use silicone then go to a sporting goods store and get some silicone boot treatment. You don't necessarily need to buy the makers own treatment.
And yes treat them before you set out on your trip. You don't know how long the boots were in storage before you bought them.
Enjoy
Tack

tuchodi
03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I have Mendels and Vasque's and both have been real good. When we have to cross small creeks we just take and tye strap our pants over our boots and we have never gotten wet, unless someone didnt get the starps done up, wont mention any names!!!

aplleskoal
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a pair of Danners ima police officer adn use them all day at work adn then take them out hunting they are amazing boot but they are not cheep about 250 to 300 but well worth it. I have had the same ones for 3 years and wear tehm both at work adn hunting adn they still look good.

Wildman
08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
www.hoffmanboots.com (http://www.hoffmanboots.com)

alremkin
08-24-2007, 11:32 AM
http://http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 8286&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733951&bmUID=1187980134612http://http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7516&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733951&bmUID=1187979485146

alremkin
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Hm, those pics of boots don't show on my computer:-(. They are the exspensive highly colored mountaineering boots and they are water proof, but $$$. Now one thing about these water proof boots is that should you decide you want to go to the Vancouver Pride Celebration, they should go over well there.:lol:

Back to boots. To get a decent set of even semi water proof boots, you're going to have to blow the moths off your wallet, from what I've seen good boots start at about $300 today. I've got a two sets of Raichle boots I bought in the mid '80's. They're the heavy double soled hiking boots and today would likely be $350 before tax if you could find them. Also they can be resoled the tops are still good and I've still got the original vibram soles on them in good shape, I also use lighter hiking boots. A couple of years ago I went hunting with an outfitter one of the other hunters had a set of new fangled Cabellas Gore Text XXX hunting boots. He asked me after we'd gone out together that day if my feet had stayed dry in the 1' snow before we waded across the creek and I had to say, "Yes". So as some of the others here have said, there's a lot to be said for quality boots.

Now Wayne there's something else I should mention. I read about you injury with the outboard and now your complaint about wet feet. Perhaps you've reached that age where one needs to take a step or two back in activity? I mean with your experience I'm sure the hunters would be happy to have you as a "Camp Man". You could make breakfast for the hunters and give them tips on where to go and how and when to bugle and provide a good help that way. Staying within 1 km of camp so you don't injure yourself or get wet feet:lol: would be your hunting domain. When they make a kill you can carry the meat cutting tools and game bags to the kill site and direct how to butcher the animal even helping a bit, but of course no packing of game except maybe a small hamburger bag.

Wayne on a serious note, I know how aging can slow one down if I'd chosen my id here like you did I'd be hunter 1946, lol. Let me say I wish you many more decades of active successful hunting, but I think you should cough up for some decent hunting boots8-).