PDA

View Full Version : Bow - Best Brands/Models

The Hermit
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
I am going to buy a compound bow for deer/elk/mose/bear hunting. I have a few questions...

What brands/models should I consider?
What minimum/maximum draw and hold weight range is recommended?
How much will I need to budget on the full package with arrows, broadheads, fletching, counter weight, release, arm guard etc.
What questions am I missing?

Bow Walker
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
As always - just one man's thoughts here.......but........

Were it me I would seriously consider the 06 Diamond Liberty set to 70 lbs.

They are on sale right now at Bowhunter's Super Store. They have a wide range of letoff, starting at 60% and going all the way up to 80%. They are also available with two different packages of extras. Check them out at http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com

If you are missing any questions just give them a call on their toll free line and pick their brains for free.

JohnS
11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Well First thing I would do is " talk to a person" face to face that you know bow hunts and get him to go with you to the sports shop and look at different set ups if possible. If You are a first timer at bow hunting and shooting a bow this would be the first thing I would do, When I started out myself 2 yrs ago this is what I did, and bought a low poundage pull so I could get good with my form and shooting abilities and then moved up to a higher poundage. I hope it works out for you, but once your outfitted right and your Form is good your going to love it man.... Cheers!

timberhunter
11-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Where are you located?. Where ever it is, find the nearest archery club to you.

DO NOT BUY WITHOUT ADVICE :lol:

I see this happen all too often. People think they would like a bow. So they go down to the nearest sport shop and get suckered (most times), into a bow that is not right for them. Not because they are suckers, but just don't know enough about the sport. I have seen guys come to our club, who bought without asking questions to actual archers.

An example:
A fellow showed up, brand new to the sport with his new prise possesion bow. Nice bow 20 lb draw weight. This fellow stands over 6' tall and over 200 lbs. And this store sold him a 20 pound bow :mad: . And this is not a bullshit either. The people at the store selling, who are for the most part younger adults, do not know the first thing about archery. And they soaked the guy out of $300 for nothing.

A friend of mine was also in the store another time. He watched 3 of the people in the store trying to string a recurve, they didn't have the first clue.

Do you really want these types of people telling you what you should buy??????????

Get in touch with people who shoot compounds/traditional equipment if you like. Most people will let you handle their bows, maybe not shoot them, but at least handle them. And for the most part will bend over backwards telling you the good things and bad things about different bows. And refer you to local stores that will sell you the proper equipment for what you want to do.

Most sports stores do have a reputable person who does shoot archery, but beware those who have no clue. Save yourself some money in the long run, and a lot of hassel and frustration. And get the best knowledge you can before you lay down all that hard earned cash.

Marc S.

Ps. If you are in the nanimo area Pm me and we can get together or you can come out to the club, and we'll more than gladly help you in any way we can.

bsa30-06
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
when i first decided to get a bow i took lessons they provided all the equipment and you got to use long bows , recurves, compounds etc. and then i decided what i wanted.I also got lots of advice from the archery guys on this site, and delt with a reputable archery store that was local so i could go in and talk to them face to face and ask questions and check out different bows and equipment.

magicarrowman
11-21-2006, 12:19 AM
As far as a brand of bow to buy, there are alot of great bow on the market today. Go and talk to a bunch of bowhunters for their input and suggestions. Don't go to a sports shop first! They'll try to sell you what they carry!! As far as weight, start off with a 60 lb. pull with a 60-80% let off. This is where you should start until your form and shooting technique are flawless. Then you can consider whether you want a higher poundage bow. SHOOT CARBON ARROWS!!!!!!!! You'll find these waaaay better than aluminums. Broadheads..... lot's of good ones out there. Pick one that flies exactly like your field points. ( I prefer SONIC 100's, they have zero plane and boy are they tough!) As far as how much it will approxemately cost......it depnds on alot of different things, which bow, which arrow, broadhead, release, vibration dampening, rest, etc. Budget around $800.00 or more depending on what you want. If you ask me, don't start off by buying the top of the line bow. Get something around $400.00 (bare bones) and put on a really good rest, sights, and all the other accessories. Shoot this for your first season or two, then when you're ready to step up to a Mathews or whatever bow you choose, then do so. Remember, it has to be comfortable for you to shoot!!! Whichever setup you choose, alwas remember one thing.....PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!! Shoot as much as you can,and as often as you can!!! Hope this has been helpful in any way. If you're in the lowe mainland, PM me, and I'll be glad to help you out..

The Hermit
11-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks guys. I fully intend to take lessons at the Victoria Bowmen Club and shoot there bows first to get a feel for it. I also have enough room on my property to set up a target or two and plan to practice spring and summer before hunting next year. Just trying to get some preliminary info... are there any brands that I should avoid due to poor performance, lack of warranty etc?

willyqbc
11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
For a beginner Hoyt bows with the cam 1/2 are a great choice not only because they are a top quality bow but also because they offer probably the largest range of adjustability from any mainstream bow company. You will get 3" of draw adjustment on the cam 1/2 and if you get a bow with 70# limbs it will adjust down to almost 50#'s. This will allow you to fine tune your drawlength as you settle into your form. this will also allow you to start at lower poundage and work up as you wish.
"feel" of a bow is also key soi would echo statements above....grab a friend who knowns whats what and head to a reputable shop to try some bows out.

Good luck
Chris

Eagle1
11-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I am going to buy a compound bow for deer/elk/mose/bear hunting. I have a few questions...
How much will I need to budget on the full package with arrows, broadheads, fletching, counter weight, release, arm guard etc.
Man, I've been doing this bowhunting thing for over 30 years, as timberhunter said " don't buy without advice "
If I had known then what I know now I would have started at a much lighter draw weight than 70 + pounds. A light weight bow to start with {55-60 lbs } is much easier to perfect your shooting form with and not stuggle with trying to draw to much weight. A well placed,light poundage arrow is better than a heavy poundage bad shot,like a slow hit is better than a fast wound, how far thru the animal do you want to go.
Any brand will do, up to you { ford, chev, dodge???} even the cheapest new bows will do the job, but on an average it will be between $1000.00 to $1500.00 for everything, 80% let off seems to be the standard on most bows now adays,makes easier holding in treestands.
Go to your nearest retailer and try some bows out, if possable, the local archery club, archers are more than willing to help, and ask all the questions you can think of, but the biggest thing, only start shooting every other day as the muscles you use for archery are not the ones you use every day, you don't want to end up pulling a muscle, or worse.
practise,practise, practise, but don't be in to big a hurry to shoot good, forcing it and getting frustrated will only make it worse, work on good shooting form,blank bale,squeeze the shot, bow hand placement, follow thru after shot , most important, HAVE FUN!!! go to target shoots [ for form and repeteability}and 3-D shoots { distance judgement and shot placement, form in strange angles}
Shoot straight, but like I said HAVE FUN, archery is a fun sport,good hunting.
Bill

Elkhound
11-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Now I am not an Archer, but I am in the same boat and wanting to start. The guys on ArcheryTalk seemed to mention this site alot so I checked it out. Has some great reading on bow selection and stuff like that. Also has complete bow packages ready for hunting. I am seriously looking to get one for Christmas.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

It's worth a look if not for the info alone.

huntwriter
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
A lot of good advice has been given here so I will keep it short.

Brand name of the bow: Not important! If alleles is said all bows of a price class are equal, the rest is personal preference.

Brand name and type of arrows: Not important! Aluminum or Carbon, both have their faults and a lot of good points if everything is said they are equal.

Brand name of broadheads: Not important! All major manufactures provide top quality broadheads.

Bow draw weight: What you feel comfortable to pull and can hold at least for one full minute without problems. A minimum requirement of 45lb to 50lb will get any game animal in North America on the ground and keep it there.

What is very important is that you visit an archery store for two to three hours and try as many bows as possible. Handle them and see if they feel comfortable in your hand. A good archery store will let you try many bows before you commit to buying one.

Talk to the archery pro and ask any questions you have (make a list so you wont forget a question). Also very important go to the archery store with an open mind about brand names. Selecting a hunting weapon is like buying a pair of shoes, they have to fit and be comfortable. If the weapon doesn't fit and feels good the most expensive 700+ dollar Mathew bow will be nothing more than a useless piece of garbage.

Most compound bows come in 60% to 80% let off. For hunting I would go with 80% this makes it easier to hold the string for some time at full draw.

Once you have made your choices and get the bow home shoot it every day until you become as familiar with it as with yourself. The secret, if there is one, to good shooting is practice, practice, practice and then some more. The better you know the bow and how the arrows behave in flight the more confident you will get.

Bow Walker
11-21-2006, 06:43 PM

Hermit..........where are you? Is there a sport shop/archery store near you?

:idea: Why don't people fill in their profile??:?: It would make things soooo much easier.

JohnS
11-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Hermit..........where are you? Is there a sport shop/archery store near you?

:idea: Why don't people fill in their profile??:?: It would make things soooo much easier.

x2 to that one... at least where you live..helps everyone out for trying to give advice.. 8-)

bsa30-06
11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
x2 to that one... at least where you live..helps everyone out for trying to give advice.. 8-)

x3 , i agree wish everyone would put there location in there profile.

QnsCowboy
11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. I fully intend to take lessons at the Victoria Bowmen Club and shoot there bows first to get a feel for it. I also have enough room on my property to set up a target or two and plan to practice spring and summer before hunting next year. Just trying to get some preliminary info... are there any brands that I should avoid due to poor performance, lack of warranty etc?

By the looks of this reply you are in Victoria? Loads of Bow hunters on here from there, IE: BowWalker, hit him up, or my brother Nails, I am sure you won't be lead astray by them or anyone out at Victoria Bowmen.....

Good luck,

Craig

Bow Walker
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Hermit........a few questions of my own here,
Are you a member at the Vict. Bowmen Club? If not I can arrange to meet you there so we can shoot. Right now I have an extra bow - Martin Phantom compound, set at 28" draw length and 57lbs draw weight. You're welcome to try it out.

Do you plan to shoot Traditional or "wheels"??

Lastly - For the life of me I can't figure out what your avatar is. Pic is just too small for these old eyes:mad: What is that a picture of??

Dan.

The Hermit
11-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I have not joined the club yet but will for sure. I'd LOVE to meet up with you and try out the bow! Are you going up to the gun show on Sunday in Duncan? If so lets meet up and I'll buy you a coffee!

I am not sure what equipment I will end up with as I'd like to try out different types to see what I like before buying. However, I'm leaning toward a compound bow... with the wheelie thingies! :-)

My avitar is a picture of my browning A-Bolt draped with the front left paw of a black bear I took out Cowichan way a couple season's ago.

Bow Walker
11-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I have not joined the club yet but will for sure. I'd LOVE to meet up with you and try out the bow! Are you going up to the gun show on Sunday in Duncan? If so lets meet up and I'll buy you a coffee!

I am not sure what equipment I will end up with as I'd like to try out different types to see what I like before buying. However, I'm leaning toward a compound bow... with the wheelie thingies! :-)

My avitar is a picture of my browning A-Bolt draped with the front left paw of a black bear I took out Cowichan way a couple season's ago.

I can't make the gun show in Duncan - work keeps getting in the way of leisure time:mad: , but I wouldn't mind meeting at the club and shooting a bit. What's your schedule? I could meet you there Monday - weather permitting?

Also, there is a 3D shoot on the 3rd of Dec. at the Malahat Fish and Game Club if you are interested in seeing a lot of different setups and asking the "boys" a lot of questions. I am trying to schedule myself off for that day. That might be a good shoot to practice on. I'm sure we can set you up with a bow for the day.

Dan.

The Hermit
11-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I can't make the gun show in Duncan - work keeps getting in the way of leisure time:mad: , but I wouldn't mind meeting at the club and shooting a bit. What's your schedule? I could meet you there Monday - weather permitting?

Also, there is a 3D shoot on the 3rd of Dec. at the Malahat Fish and Game Club if you are interested in seeing a lot of different setups and asking the "boys" a lot of questions. I am trying to schedule myself off for that day. That might be a good shoot to practice on. I'm sure we can set you up with a bow for the day.

Dan.

Most generous of you BowWalker! My time is usually pretty flexible however this Monday I have a couple of must make meetings. December 3rd sounds like fun but I would need to get out and shoot a few times before competing! <self-depreciating laugh out loud> Maybe we can get for a chat one day/evening this week over a coffee? What part of town are you in?

Bow Walker
11-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Hermit.............PM sent.

Franko Manini
11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Most generous of you BowWalker! My time is usually pretty flexible however this Monday I have a couple of must make meetings. December 3rd sounds like fun but I would need to get out and shoot a few times before competing! <self-depreciating laugh out loud> Maybe we can get for a chat one day/evening this week over a coffee? What part of town are you in?

Boys,

I wouldn't mind meeting up with you guys. Let me know if there is a plan hatching.

Bow Walker
11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_21.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) Got a snow shovel Franko??

p&p
11-29-2006, 08:45 PM
hey I have been bow hunting for the past year now and have become verry successful with my 3d and target archury. most people say you need lots of practice and its very true you do but the right equptment helps. I started with the jennings buckmaster bow and was ok placing in 3ds but never winning any always missing that 10 ring than tis summer I bought a new 70lb 65% let off hoyt trykon and it was amazing the whole next week i spent sighting it in and on the weekend whent to a shoot and placed first and sooo many ppl told me to not by the trykon that they were overrated but I found that I felt comfortable shooting this bow and I think that is what Im trying to get across dont by what outher ppl are telling you to buy but actually go in to your local bow shop and try the bows only you can choose the right bow for you and if you want my opinion try the trykon it is one amazing bow 8-)

Franko Manini
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_33_21.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) Got a snow shovel Franko??

Not one big enough to clear the Vic Bowmen range!

puppychow
11-30-2006, 02:54 PM
All of the major brands have great archery equipment. See a professional and get a bow that fits you. Look for a bow with a brace height of over 7 1/2" as it is more forgiving. Good luck and hope to see you out there throwing stick.

calvin L
11-30-2006, 09:04 PM
I have shot martin ,jennings ,pse . and the only one for me is HOYT

The Hermit
11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
I went and shot a PSE Dakota today at Island Outfitters... seemed okay to me but what the hell do I know? It was the first compound bow I've shot... it was fun and I liked the experience. Hit the four inch bull every shot but it was only 10 yards LOL. I am going to try to make it out to the 3D shoot on Sunday to watch and shoot the breeze.

bochunk2000
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Are you set on a new bow? A lot of times you can find a used set up to get you started for much cheaper and you will get them fully equiped most of the time. Let me know because I might have one for sale soon.
Steve.