PDA

View Full Version : Back from Alta

farside
11-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Well I got back on Saturday from the most fun hunting trip I have had.

The Hernbergs are excellent hosts and definitely know their stuff. The girls shot some nice bucks (in the gallery) and 1 in particular was a standout. Just a shame that the main beam was broken off at some point but still a nice character buck. That buck was the looser in a scrap as he had battle scars all over his backside. Yours truly shot the smallest buck of the bunch on Friday just to take home something for the freezer:sad: . Just no luck in seeing a big guy.

We were all given FIRM directions at the start of our week. "Five by five and outside the ears" at a minimum.

Monday was a tough day with three of us slipping and falling out of tree stands. One lady flew home as she broke some ribs. I slipped and fell from about halfway up. No damage just rattled my spinal cord a bit. It was a combination of snow and black ice on the ladders and platforms that did us in. As we all know its getting in and out of the stand that is the most dangerous.

Lots of walking in the deep snow and sitting alone in the cold for hours. Will be purchasing better boots for next year if I am invited back :) .

This was not really a guided hunt or for somebody who is not comfortable being alone in the bush. After being pointed in the right direction we were pretty much left on our own for the day. We would be dropped off within 1 mile of our treestands and would walk in before light. Guy would check on us by noon or we would arrange to call in by noon, then sit until you had just enough light to walk out by.

I truly hope I am invited back for next year. I can hardly wait

jjensen20
11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Right on, nice bucks me and the hunting partner are headed to alberta on tuesday hopefully we will be back with some good pics to post

WoodOx
11-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Aye, nice bucks.

As jensen said, hopfully I can post some pics too next week!

NightOwl74
11-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Well I got back on Saturday from the most fun hunting trip I have had.

The Hernbergs are excellent hosts and definitely know their stuff. The girls shot some nice bucks (in the gallery) and 1 in particular was a standout. Just a shame that the main beam was broken off at some point but still a nice character buck. That buck was the looser in a scrap as he had battle scars all over his backside. Yours truly shot the smallest buck of the bunch on Friday just to take home something for the freezer:sad: . Just no luck in seeing a big guy.

We were all given FIRM directions at the start of our week. "Five by five and outside the ears" at a minimum.

Monday was a tough day with three of us slipping and falling out of tree stands. One lady flew home as she broke some ribs. I slipped and fell from about halfway up. No damage just rattled my spinal cord a bit. It was a combination of snow and black ice on the ladders and platforms that did us in. As we all know its getting in and out of the stand that is the most dangerous.

Lots of walking in the deep snow and sitting alone in the cold for hours. Will be purchasing better boots for next year if I am invited back :) .

This was not really a guided hunt or for somebody who is not comfortable being alone in the bush. After being pointed in the right direction we were pretty much left on our own for the day. We would be dropped off within 1 mile of our treestands and would walk in before light. Guy would check on us by noon or we would arrange to call in by noon, then sit until you had just enough light to walk out by.

I truly hope I am invited back for next year. I can hardly wait I went hunting in Alberta, with my uncle, an Alberta resident, serving as my guide. I was told by my uncle that I couldn't leave his sight while hunting. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it illegal to be "dropped off" if you aren't an Alberta resident?