PDA

View Full Version : Pitt Polder decoy numbers?

WestCoastTodd
08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Lots of decoy questions lately...gearing up.

I'm hoping to get out to the Pitt Polder for some geese this season. I don't have any goose decoys yet - any thoughts on how many are needed? Those things are expensive, so a couple of dozen floaters ain't gonna happen!

Thanks,
Todd

Foxton Gundogs
08-29-2012, 11:19 PM
The more the better we set from 4 doz up over here and I dont see the Poldergeese being all that diffrent.

WestCoastTodd
08-30-2012, 06:37 AM
The more the better we set from 4 doz up over here and I dont see the Poldergeese being all that diffrent.
Wow, that's a lot of goose decoys! I wonder if the sonotube homemade decoys could be adapted to float?

trapperdan2061
08-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Depending on what you see flying around I set 6 to 36 based on the flocks

FirePower
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
We hunt the Polder quite regularly and always use a minimum of 18 in our spread.

pnbrock
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Where is this place ? I have decoys!!

WestCoastTodd
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the help - it looks like I'll have to start a collection. Six this year, six the next. I could get my first by 2014!

pnbrock, it's a good piece North-east of you. Google maps will show it if you search for Pitt Polder Ecological Reserve. It's got restricted shooting times - check with the Fraser Valley Special Area map for the allowed areas and times.

Foxton Gundogs
08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I grew up hunting the Polder, back in those days if you even heard of someone getting a shot AT a goose sometime during the season it was big news. That was when we started coining the term "Poldergeese" as we were convinced they were evil spirits that every one heard about but no one ever saw. If we managed a mallard or two it was a good YEAR. Man how times have changed don't let the antis say we are depleating our wildlife resources.

pnbrock
08-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Looks like a bunch of bush do u hunt the river?

Foxton Gundogs
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
I havent shot the polder in decades but there are a bunch of canals, ditches sloughs and a huge slough on the other side of the dyke from Pitt Lake again it's been years so I'm sure some one will give you more current info

benttip
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
sometimes half a dozen can work real fine..practice your calling..

WestCoastTodd
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
That's hopeful. I have been practicing...in the truck on the way to work (lots of stop lights, for better or worse). Must be a funny sight, blowing into a piece of plastic, then swearing at it.
I still sound like crap, but it's getting a little better. Haven't quite worked out the best way to cluck. Seems a lot harder than duck calls.

Foxton Gundogs
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
What are you using for a call? all calls are NOT created equal

pnbrock
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm in same boat been using calls on way to work aswell you aren't the only silly looking guy on the road :)

WestCoastTodd
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
What are you using for a call? all calls are NOT created equal
It's a Primos Honky Tonk. I'm open to suggestions.
I've taken a look through the forums for a consensus on a good call - everyone seems to have their favorite, no particular call stood out.

pnbrock
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a primos,lynch mob ,zink is my go to for goosey sounding.

WestCoastTodd
08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
I've been looking at Zink's PC-1 or SR-1. Big price difference - is the SR-1 worth it?

pnbrock
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
With practice worth every penny. I have the call of death!!!Check out eBay.

seanps
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Remember to CAREFULLY check the Fraser Valley shooting regulations.

Only a portion of the marsh is open to shooting, and only on three days: Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday.

You cannot shoot from the dykes that border the closed areas (there are no signs to that effect in the marsh, so you have to study the regs. map). Last season there were lots of asshats standing on the closed dykes and skyblasting at passing birds.

Link to map is here: (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2011Web.pdf)http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2011Web.pdf (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2011Web.pdf). Note where it says Pitt Wildlife Management Area at the top-right of page two.

Dano
08-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I haven't had much success decoying geese in the marsh. Generally they fly over the area and to the golf courses or cranberry fields. Pass shooting is about the only shots you'll get, scout and get under the flyway. This early season opener has never been good for me, I won't be going out as I'm in mauii now anyways! The field hunters do better on this opener for the most part but you need to scout around and get permission....​Looks like more ducks are showing up now, hopefully it will be better in the Pitt than the last few years. The loss of habitat to the blueberry fields and the high water in the marsh hasn't kept birds around long. I have heard that some drainage work has been done, we'll see if tat helps the November/December levels.....
Dan

Foxton Gundogs
08-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Primos make a decent call but require tuning every so often that may be your problem IMO It would be well worth your while to contact blacktail on this site and order one of his hand made hand tuned calls I have 2 duck calls a single and a double reed(actually thats a lie I HAD a double and when my partner heard it he "stole" it so I have another in the mail to me) and a short reed canada call on order. His work is a hidden treasure in the world of water fowl calls and well worth the reasonable price he asks.

heyblast
09-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Dano is right, we both hunt there and it's pass shooting. Decoys are really a waste of time as is calling. The dykes closed to shooting were marked but the signs are gone so make sure you know were you are.

Dutch
09-02-2012, 03:11 PM
took the wife and another couple up to Pitt lk. last weekend from Ladner in my boat.Ran by geese everywhere from the Westminster rail bridge right into Pitt lk. Seen at least a thousand birds in flocks of 50 to 100 and was astonished how many were in the Pitt river good sign for you polder guys :)