PDA

View Full Version : geese

Beard
08-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I got a couple geese last year but nothing crazy(I was hunting in ladner). So i want to chase geese a bit more this season and am wondering whether I should get a few snow or canadian decoys for the area I am in. or......look for a new place to hunt or paint some of my old peeling duck decoys white (would that work?) I have quite a few duck decoys that I rarely take them all out. It would save me some cash! sorry for the scattered message, hope it makes sense.

Mulehahn
08-27-2012, 11:02 PM
To me it depends on if you are hunting a field or the marsh. If its a field lots of guys have used rag decoys with great success and they look nothing like a goose, just the colour. I cant imagine the painted duck decoys working any worse. If you are hunting the marsh, get a few goose and decoys just put your duck decoys out as is. That is what I do anyways. In a marsh there is often a lot of different species mixed together. I think it looks more natural and it would save you from having to buy a whole lot of geese (and you may get a few ducks as bonus). But I am no fowl guru. Just get bag enough for a few dinners and do ok.

bandit
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
My understanding of decoying snows is you need a LOT. Like dont even bother with less than 30. It takes a pretty big effort to get a flock of snows to circle in for a closer look. You could probably get away with 5-6 canadas as they obviously dont gather in large flocks like snows.