PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong?

DeerHunter101
11-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I was hunting with my dog
(she is an English Pointer X German Shorthaired Pointer)
and she likes to run hard. Anyways I was going after chucker, and all of a sudden she just dropped. I carried her back to camp and gave her some food and let her rest. Her sister had a low blood sugar problem, and i'm thinking that she might also have this problem. My friend says that I should give her corn syrup to get her blood sugar up. Do any of you have any other suggestions? I don't exacly have $200 to spend at the vet at the moment to get her checked.

ellellbee
11-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I can't help you much but from having horses and a dog and not being able to afford vet bills either I have learned the basics. Take her pulse and temperature; check how fast the color returns to the gums after pressing with a finger. Then Google away with your symptoms. Here is one site I came up with that may help you but keep searching. http://www.seefido.com/html/information_for_dog_s_vet.htm

Beverly
11-18-2006, 11:03 PM
From experience I might suggest that your dog could also have a heart condition (dropping while active happens a lot with dogs with a cardiac issue..can be a minor problem like a murmur or something serious like cardio myopathy)

An ECG at the vet would tell you a lot.

If low blood sugar is an inherited issue (and I'm not certain it is passed on genetically...google it to check) then you may already have your answer.
A vet visit is in order most certainly.

ryanb
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
This has happened a few times to my springer. Usually when he runs or swims himself right out of energy and literally drops and apears dead. It's when he depleted available energy. A lot of sporting dogs don't have that "jeez I'm getting really tired and should probably stop running" instinct. Vet said to give him sugar water to help him recover.

Could be the problem, but I wouldn't presume to know for sure.

BlacktailStalker
11-19-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd sell my favorite rifle if it meant keeping my dogs health up.

Fisher-Dude
11-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd sell my favorite rifle if it meant keeping my dogs health up.

Me too. They deserve the best care possible.

DeerHunter101
11-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Thankyou for all the advice