PDA

View Full Version : lower pin for downhill, higher for uphill?

5/10/85
11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I read an article once that said if you're shooting uphill or downhill, you always use the lower distance pin. For instance, if the game is 20 yrds downhill, you aim, 10 or 15. If uphill, the same thing. My last two animals I took were downhill, and I aimed lower - 25 yards, slightly downhill, used the 20 yard pin; 15 yards, steep downhill, used the 10. But what about uphill? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The physics don't make sense to me. What's the verdict guys?

steel_ram
11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Gravity will have less effect on a arrow's (bullets) aimed coarse if it's travelling vertically (up or down) where as a projectile travelling horizontally will have it's trajectory most effected by gravity. This doesn't mean gravity is different, just how it effects the projectile.

Bow Walker
11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_126.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) It just is what is.....many have tried working out the physics but for the Great Unwashed, well it just is what is.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

oldtimer
11-17-2006, 08:15 PM
I missed a beauty 4 point last year that was uphill with known yardage from WillyQ but I forgot the lesson he told me was to aim lower. I centered on the kill zone at 40 yards and was perfect left to right but sailed over his back. Now obviously some of the miss was my fault but if I had aimed lower I may have spined him. Next time I will remember. Mike

Eagle1
11-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I read an article once that said if you're shooting uphill or downhill, you always use the lower distance pin. For instance, if the game is 20 yrds downhill, you aim, 10 or 15. If uphill, the same thing. My last two animals I took were downhill, and I aimed lower - 25 yards, slightly downhill, used the 20 yard pin; 15 yards, steep downhill, used the 10. But what about uphill? Shouldn't it be the other way around? The physics don't make sense to me. What's the verdict guys?

Gravity is gravity, it doesn't matter wether you shoot uphill,downhill,sidehill,upsidedown,itall takes practise because it depends on how steep the hill is { and how fast your bow shoots } to how much you subtract off the actual distance.
If you go find Robert Ragsdale's site I believe he will explain it. He's a retired PSE pro shooter and one of the top archers in the world.
All it takes is a lot of time and practise so you know how you and your bow preform on hill shots.{ 3-D shoots are a good way, not live animals and posably a wound. }

willyqbc
11-18-2006, 01:08 AM
There is a very simple way to remember how to make any uphill or downhill shot.....ALWAYS shoot it for the HORIZONTAL distance....no matter how steep. As an example.... you are standing at the top of a completely vertical rock wall 100 yards tall. twenty yards out from the base is your target....even though your arrow will travel 100+ yards you would use your 20 yd pin. Same would be true if you and the target were reversed and you were shooting uphill.

Chris

Nails
11-18-2006, 01:10 AM
All I know is that you aim low for down and up hill shots. Like the guys say practise these shots at 3D's.

Bow Walker
11-18-2006, 06:13 PM
As always........great advice from West Coast Archery.

Bill, did you score on your trip or get skunked? And I'm not talking about your partners and their sleeping bags!

huntwriter
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
There is a very simple way to remember how to make any uphill or downhill shot.....ALWAYS shoot it for the HORIZONTAL distance....no matter how steep. As an example.... you are standing at the top of a completely vertical rock wall 100 yards tall. twenty yards out from the base is your target....even though your arrow will travel 100+ yards you would use your 20 yd pin. Same would be true if you and the target were reversed and you were shooting uphill.

Chris
Exactly like willyqbc said and exactly what I do when hunting from a treestand (downhill) or from the ground (horizontal) for example, the distnace remains the same at 10 yards, 20 yards and so on.

Walksalot
11-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Create the scenario and shoot the arrow. Information from a book is fine but first hand information is better.

Mr. Dean
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
As an example.... you are standing at the top of a completely vertical rock wall 100 yards tall. twenty yards out from the base is your target....even though your arrow will travel 100+ yards you would use your 20 yd pin.

Excellent advice IMO.

I'm not a bow flinger, but same holds true for a rifle shooter. The way I work it is to imagine the target loosing the ground on which its standing. How far would the target be from you if it dropped and stopped on a perfect horizontal plane (90 degree's from the shooter)? That is the distance to sight for.

Same holds true for down hill shots. Imagine the target standing on an elevator and that you have the up button in front of you....Bring it up to 90 dgr's and sight in for that yardage.

Sooooooo, the steeper the angle, the closer the target is. example: A target that is straight up or down, at ANY distance, you should aim as if it was placed right in front of you.

A study of the physics will explain it, but for many, it remains a mind bender. Accept it for what it is, set up a practise course and give it a wirl.

I once came across a fantastic article that explained this but have since lost it. It may have come from the 24 hour Campfire site.....If I should find this article again, I'll post a link.