PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Choices

Sideofabarn
11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Ok stick flingers...
With the season winding down in most areas, I thought it would be a great time to have a review of this seasons broadhead choices. What heads did you use this season, an old favourite, or did you try something new? Will you use that same style next year? No, I'm not looking to open up the mechanical/fixed debate, just some thoughts on what you used this year. My choices for next season are G5 montecs, slick tricks, and grim reapers...
Have at 'er!

Bow Walker
11-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I used - and will use - Razor Caps, Slick Tricks, and Sonics. All 100 grain heads. All lethal.
http://www.razorcaps.com
http://www.slicktrick.net
http://www.americanbroadhead.com

magicarrowman
11-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Sonic 100's ! So far THE BEST broadhead I've used. I won't switch until they come out with heat seeking broadheads.

Jetboater
11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I have shot a ton of arrows and broadheads , since I worked in a pro shop and the montec G5 is the best broadhead I have ever shot. I would almost say there is zero arrow tuning involved but that would be too cocky.:lol:

dougan
11-17-2006, 02:59 PM
i still love my wasp 100gr they have never failed me yet 4 bucks 2 bears later.

dave_fras
11-17-2006, 05:04 PM
i agree with blacktail.... montec g5s r the way to go!.... very smoot flying broadhead.... the dont take much tuning

Onesock
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Wensel Woodsman for a 3 blade, Journeyman for a 2 blade. Both cut on impact and both devastating broadheads.

oldtimer
11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
sorry guys but I like my Muzzy's Mike

Bow Walker
11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
sorry guys but I like my Muzzy's Mike
That's just 'cause you haven't tried anything new in.............hell, must nye on to a hunnert years:lol:

Nails
11-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Don't worry Mike I still like my muzzys also. I have my eye on the Rage line of broadheads!

QnsCowboy
11-19-2006, 02:39 PM
My Muzzy's (125) have never done me wrong....:) I am staying with them...for now....

Craig

Bow Walker
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Those are fairly heavy heads that you're using Craig. What's your setup?
Dan.

Kirby
11-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, I've shot muzzies, T-heads, Rockets, Interlocs, Spir-fires, bruins, razors, and I've finally found a head to settle with for several years.

I picked up Slick tricks this year, and have been AMAZED with them. There is zero arrow tuning, with my arrrows out of tune(purposly) they hit with fieldpoints. Amazing flying, and strong-Lets just say a deer is alive:frown: , but I had a good rock soup for dinner:lol: and the head is still good to go, touched it with a stone and its back in the quiver. I use one on rabbits all year so far, and its been going great, taken several with it now.
Hopefully I can figure out how they penetrate on a doe in the next couple of days.

Kirby

JohnS
11-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, I've shot muzzies, T-heads, Rockets, Interlocs, Spir-fires, bruins, razors, and I've finally found a head to settle with for several years.

I picked up Slick tricks this year, and have been AMAZED with them. There is zero arrow tuning, with my arrrows out of tune(purposly) they hit with fieldpoints. Amazing flying, and strong-Lets just say a deer is alive:frown: , but I had a good rock soup for dinner:lol: and the head is still good to go, touched it with a stone and its back in the quiver. I use one on rabbits all year so far, and its been going great, taken several with it now.
Hopefully I can figure out how they penetrate on a doe in the next couple of days.

Kirby

I took a spring bear at 30yrds with a 125 grain Slick Trick shot from a 05 switchback 70# and it worked wicked 1 arrow one bear 30yrds away dead as a door nail agaist a tree. So yupp they work great have " No Fear " it will do the Trick and leave a Slick Blood trail too ....8-) I use 100 gr Slick Tricks for Deer..

QnsCowboy
11-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Those are fairly heavy heads that you're using Craig. What's your setup?
Dan.

BowWalker, I shoot a Browning Mirage, @ 70#, mechanical release, Quick tune drop away with 29" 7595 Gold Tip Carbons.... I can't complain, it seems to work fine...:)

Craig

Bow Walker
11-20-2006, 09:21 AM
You've obviously got it tuned up just fine. Good setup. You've also got the right arrow as well. I used to shoot 7595's until a shoulder problem caused me to drop down a few ponds in draw weight. Great shaft. Now I shoot 5575's w/ 100 grain heads and pull just over 60 lbs.

That 61 lb pull feels easier to pull than my older bow which was set at 55 lbs! Ain't technology wonderful.....the draw is so easy with these smooth mods that I am considering going back to a 60 - 70 lb set of limbs for the bow.

Kirby
11-20-2006, 12:37 PM
BowWalker, I shoot a Browning Mirage, @ 70#, mechanical release, Quick tune drop away with 29" 7595 Gold Tip Carbons.... I can't complain, it seems to work fine...:)

Craig

Damn man, that thing must hit them like a run-away train! some serious KE there.

Kirby

brotherjack
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
My favourite heads are 180 grain Winchester's. Though any rig setup to shoot them will have an absolutely terrible problem with string noise! LOL...

Seriously though - for my bow, I switched to RockyMtn Snypers this year. After a lot of reading and just looking at the physics involved, they seemed to be one of the best-of-breed for mechanical heads. Unfortunately, I can't yet vouch for how well the work - as I never got a critter I wanted to shoot to line up for a shot this bow sesaon (though I did pass on half a dozen shots at legal animals, for varying reasons).

QnsCowboy
11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Damn man, that thing must hit them like a run-away train! some serious KE there.

Kirby

So far so good...I will hopefully get my bear this spring, that will really give it a test...

Craig