PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable boat for hugging the shore?

WestCoastTodd
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi everyone,

This has kind of been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything really satisfying. I'm thinking about getting a boat for hunting around the Ladner marsh. I'm hoping for something that I can tuck into the marsh and shoot from (get it grassed up), but not planning to use it to cross Canoe pass. Of course money and space are a consideration, so anything that needs a trailer isn't going to work. Would a 12' jon boat be too small and open? If I'm really working close to the shore could I even get away with something like a Fatboy DP?

I know the tide really rips through there, and the weather can change fast - I sure do like duck hunting, but not quite enough to die for it :shock: That'd be a little embarrassing.

Todd

WaderGator
08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm usually out there in a 12 foot V-hulled aluminum. I've seen it pretty bumpy in there a few times and would probably be a little nervous in a jon that small especially once you get it loaded up with gear. I'm sure it can be done but might not be worth the risk. Perhaps a slighty larger model or Mod-v with some decent horsepower would be a little safer. Myself I like the small lightweight boat so you can manhandle it a little when you're high and dry on a falling tide. Tough call really, I'm sure there's lots of guys on here that will have great advice on this one.

WaderGator
08-07-2012, 03:23 PM
I'll add that I don't shoot out of the v-hull either. If that's something that is important to you than maybe its not the boat for you

WestCoastTodd
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I'll add that I don't shoot out of the v-hull either. If that's something that is important to you than maybe its not the boat for you

Why is that? Too unstable? So, do you use the boat to get around the marsh, then shoot from the shore?

Thanks!
Todd

WaderGator
08-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Why is that? Too unstable? So, do you use the boat to get around the marsh, then shoot from the shore?

Thanks!
Todd

Exactly. A round bottom is going to roll a bit more. It won't be as stable or have as shallow a draft as the jon but its gonna be much better when it gets choppy. I just use the boat to get me and my gear out there and then hunt from shore

f350ps
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
A 12' Jon boat will be fine out there, just put a decent size motor on and don't over load it. K

Ian F.
08-08-2012, 05:52 AM
it's not the boat, it's the captain! if conditions suck, stay at port! watch the tide tables, the low low going through there is quite a rip

WestCoastTodd
08-08-2012, 09:09 AM
it's not the boat, it's the captain! if conditions suck, stay at port! watch the tide tables, the low low going through there is quite a rip

Good point there. I've been pass shooting there a bunch of times when the pass looked downright scary.
Thanks for all your input - I've been cruising Craigslist, and there is a good selection of nice sized jon boats (some already painted marsh camo). I'll let you know if I get something interesting.

WaderGator
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
it's not the boat, it's the captain! if conditions suck, stay at port!

spoken like a true seafarer but i'll be out killing birds in the Deep V :mrgreen: Great advice about the tide tables they're pretty important resources out there. I'm glad to see the emphasis on safety in this thread as I personally know a couple people that have been killed in the river. stay safe out there everyone