PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder question

Rod
11-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I am considering the purchase of a rangefinder and would appreciate any input on make/model as well as where to get the best price in Canada.

I want something that will work out to a realistic 500 yards and would like to stay below $300 on the total cost.

I don't have any experience with rangefinders (other than the rather bulky <over 50 pounds> units installed in the Leopard tank) but the way I see it if I can range a tree/stump/rock near the animal I'm after it would be just as good as getting the animal itself so 500yard capability on a tree is as good in practice as the same range on an animal.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Cheers
Rod

mikek blacktail
11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a bushnell trophy which is great for bow hunting but isn't much good past 300yrds I've used a lecia out to 500yrds it worked great but it's way more pricey

Johnnybear
11-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I just picked up one of the new Leupy range finders RX2 or something like that. Just a tad over 400 bucks but worth it. It has the True Ballistic Range mode, Bow mode, compass, etc., and way to many reticle choices than I need. It takes a little bit to get used to it but I really like it now. 500 yard ranging no problem and great warranty.

todbartell
11-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Bushnell Legend is a good model and around $400 or so

Stresd
11-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Agreed. I have found the Bushnell Legend to be an exellent range finder. Purchased mine from Russell Sports in Calgary. There is a $50.00 mail in rebate if you buy a legend or trophy before the end of the year.

ryanb
11-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I tried the legend, and it was pretty good. I opted for paying just a little extra and getting the Elite model. I have used it to range animals at over 1000 yards.

Gateholio
11-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Find one that is rated to 700-800 yards and in your price range and go wiht that.

I haven't used alot of rangeinfders (I thik only 3) but I believe all thier ratings can be a tad optomistic, unless you are always form a steady rest in optimum condiiotns.:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I haven't used alot of rangeinfders (I thik only 3) but I believe all thier ratings can be a tad optomistic, unless you are always form a steady rest in optimum condiiotns.:lol:

I know the Leicas are a little out of your price range but mine has never had any problem with getting a good reading right to it's limit at 1200 yds. Fog and snow are the exceptions.
Have never heard a bad thing about the Leicas and their warrentee is exceptional. A buddy took a good tumble with one on his hip and smashed it all up. New one was sent to him pronto! :smile:

SSS

Canthuntenuff
11-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I have the Nikon monarch 800. Flawless. All the features of the really pricey names, superior quality and accurate. It has a built in clinometer that gives your hold over/under with one more push of the button. Good for those steep shots for sheep, goat, and pesky hillside muleys. Reliable on Fraser St in Vancouver about $425..