PDA

View Full Version : Releases, finger tabs, etc, what works?

Browningmirage
11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I have the browning mirage, and have thus far been shooting using finger tabs that i made myself. I like shooting them, but i was wondering if the accuracy in the end will suffer at all. I have several releases, but i havent used them enough to get comfortable with them, however, if it is good for accuracy i most likely will learn. :smile:

Jagermeister
11-16-2006, 01:12 AM
It mostly depends on what type of arrow rest is in use on the bow. If you are using a button or flipper type that is attached to the side of the riser, then finger tabs is the way to go. On the other hand, if you are employing a prong or fork type of release or a drop away that rests on the shelf, then a release is the best bet. One of the caliper types would be the best, like fletchhunter or one of some other manufacture. The others that post here and are into archery will atest to the ones that they prefer. Buy the best one you can because if you don't, I can guarantee that you will discarding that for some other. I would advise to avoid Truball, but that's my opinion.

Bow Walker
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I have the browning mirage, and have thus far been shooting using finger tabs that i made myself. I like shooting them, but i was wondering if the accuracy in the end will suffer at all. I have several releases, but i havent used them enough to get comfortable with them, however, if it is good for accuracy i most likely will learn. :smile:
Post some pics of the rest that is on the bow now. Also post a pic of the string where you nock your arrow. This will explain what you are using far better than words can. We will then be in a better position to offer advice.

Browningmirage
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
alright, i will get some of those today. My rest is the whisker biscuit, ive heard that it works pretty well, so thats what has been on the bow ever since i got it. I have a fall away, but the people i talked to liked the whisker biscuit more so i never got to learn how to work it. How do i get pics onto the site?

willyqbc
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
you should be shooting a release with the whisker biscuit, that will explain why you cannot get enough adjustment out of your sight. Shooting with fingers requires a rest that will put side pressure on the arrow to help it "bend" around the riser. A shoot through center shot style rest like the bisquit will require a release to make it work properly.
If you are going to use a release you will need either a loop on your string or a nocking point above the arrow and an eliminator button below.

Chris

bsa30-06
11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I shoot the browning rage, and use a tru ball release and the only accuracy problems i have had are caused by me.I cant offer any specific advice to you but there are several very knowledgable archers on this site and i'm sure they will be able to help you.Good luck.

Bow Walker
11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
As I said on your other post - we need some pictures so that we can help you in a more knowledgeable manner.

Try to get a pic that shows the view from behind the arrow rest. Get it so that the string splits the circle of the whisker biscuit. What I am getting at is trying to see if your center shot is correct.

Your arrow (when nocked) should split the biscuit hole, and your sight pins while lining up with the string.

I hope this makes sense because unless we meet at a shoot it's going to be really hard to help over the internet.....but we will persevere.

Bow Walker
11-16-2006, 06:18 PM
alright, i will get some of those today. My rest is the whisker biscuit, ive heard that it works pretty well, so thats what has been on the bow ever since i got it. I have a fall away, but the people i talked to liked the whisker biscuit more so i never got to learn how to work it. How do i get pics onto the site?
Email me the pics and I will get them up for you. lizdan@telus.net

What kind of fallaway rest do you have?

willyqbc
11-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Browningmirage...if you going to be around Quesnel give me a buzz and I will help you get the bow set up correctly. Just shoot me a pm on here.

Chris

Nails
11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I shoot fingers,use NAP flipper. This system works well for me.
I have seen a fellow use a mathews switchback, no sights, drop away style rest and uses a finger glove. This goes against the gain with this setup and practice pays off. This is his preferred setup. Practice is the optimum word here. Go figure!!

QnsCowboy
11-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I shoot the Browning Mirage, I knew there was more than one of us out there...I use a mechanical release and drop away rest, with the size of the mirage (axel to axel) and brace height, I know I would find it difficult to set up for fingers, especially with a whisker biscuit....I know Nails is in love with shooting fingers, and does an awesome job of it....but if you like the mirage, try a release, you will see a big difference...my humble opinion.....:)

Craig

Bow Walker
11-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I shoot the Browning Mirage, I knew there was more than one of us out there...I use a mechanical release and drop away rest, with the size of the mirage (axel to axel) and brace height, I know I would find it difficult to set up for fingers, especially with a whisker biscuit....I know Nails is in love with shooting fingers, and does an awesome job of it....but if you like the mirage, try a release, you will see a big difference...my humble opinion.....:)

Craig

Shorter axle-to-axle bows are prone to "finger pinch" as Craig says. The string is at an extreme angle when at full draw - due to the short A-to-A and tends to pinch or bind the fingers at the nocking point. If this is happening it will contribute to inconsistency in arrow release, arrow flight, and accuracy.

Time to get a release and a "D" loop on the setup.