PDA

View Full Version : Archery Targets

Browningmirage
11-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Hi all

I recently got a bow given to me by a friend. Its a browning mirage, and it shoots pretty nice. I have a coupla questions, im sure some have been answered before, 1st is how good a quality is the bow, how good of accuracy can i expect out of it 2nd, how much will a stabilizer help with accuracy, 3 what is a good cheap target (i am a university student) that i can make myself, shoot a bow set at 50 pounds, and not lose any arrows because of shoot through. I can adjust mine up to 65 pounds, but i am shooting low for the first bit to get a feel for it. Also, it is adjusted as far to one side as it can go, but it is still slightly off. what kind of material is good to use for a shim? I have it set up pretty nice right now, carbon arrows(at 110 per dozen, with target points the same weight as my broadheads), i just dont have a stabilizer for it, but i have everything else. Thanks

Jagermeister
11-16-2006, 01:24 AM
In answer to these questions, I think that the best advice that can be given here is for you to find an archery club or a archery shop near you and take it to them to get the bow set up. At a club, the price of setup most likely will be free, one archer helping another, a shop on the other hand likely will have a nominal fee but some will do it gratis just for the goodwill and the hope that they score a sale down the road. If you're going to TRU, I could assist you in setting it up. It would be prudent however to have someone check the limbs for stress cracking. the Browning Mirage is a good bow, regardless of what anybody has to say. I'll let others tell you how to make inexpensive targets.

bochunk2000
11-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Get a burlap sac and stuff it with as many grocery bags as you can pack it tight and sew the topp shut. I have shot hundreds of arrows at mine and never had a pass through. Just keep an eye on it and replace the bags and or sac as need be. Quite a cheap target. Not for broad heads though.
Steve.

Bow Walker
11-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi all

I recently got a bow given to me by a friend. Its a browning mirage, and it shoots pretty nice. I have a coupla questions, im sure some have been answered before, 1st is how good a quality is the bow, how good of accuracy can i expect out of it 2nd, how much will a stabilizer help with accuracy, 3 what is a good cheap target (i am a university student) that i can make myself, shoot a bow set at 50 pounds, and not lose any arrows because of shoot through. I can adjust mine up to 65 pounds, but i am shooting low for the first bit to get a feel for it. Also, it is adjusted as far to one side as it can go, but it is still slightly off. what kind of material is good to use for a shim? I have it set up pretty nice right now, carbon arrows(at 110 per dozen, with target points the same weight as my broadheads), i just dont have a stabilizer for it, but i have everything else. Thanks

1a. The bow is just fine - it is up there with some of the best.
1b. As for accuracy, well the bow is only as good as the person using it. Get it set up peoperly and it will shoot as well as you are capable.

2. A stabilizer helps balance the bow. It also helps dampen excess vibration. A very good (an inexpensive) stabilizer is the Eastman 8" it is $10.95 u.s. from Bowhunter's Super Store who are a sponsor of this site. Have a look at the attached picture - that is what it looks like. You might even be able to get one at Cdn Tire or Wal-Mart.

3. Do what Bochunk advises about a target. I have done this same thing for many years. This type of target lasts as long as the sack will last - just don't leave it outside to get the sack wet or it will rot on you.

Also, it is adjusted as far to one side as it can go, but it is still slightly off.
Do you mean that your sight is adjusted to one side? If so, then don't use shims as that is not the problem. You need get the bow looked at before you start doing something as radical as using shims.

Where are you? Fill in the rest of your profile - at least your location. It helps. Someone (from where you live) is surely able to help you. If you are here in Vict. then we can get together to fix the problem.

Dan.

Browningmirage
11-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Also, it is adjusted as far to one side as it can go, but it is still slightly off.
Do you mean that your sight is adjusted to one side? If so, then don't use shims as that is not the problem. You need get the bow looked at before you start doing something as radical as using shims.
Dan.
I mean that it is adjusted almost to its fullest extent, but when i shoot the bow, it is still about 3 inches or so to the left of the bullseye,

Bow Walker
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I mean that it is adjusted almost to its fullest extent, but when i shoot the bow, it is still about 3 inches or so to the left of the bullseye,
Can you post a pic ? It's a bit hard to visualize. It may be that your arrow rest needs adjusting to compensate.

jessbennett
11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
also, keep in mind that if your bow is shooting to the left of the bullseye, you have to move your sights to the LEFT to correct the windage. keep in mind that with a bow, move your sights in the same diretion as needed to correct windage and elevation problems.(if you shooting high, move the sight up. if you are low, move sight down. left left right right). provided also that bow is set up centershot and nocking point.