PDA

View Full Version : Prefered hunting time

Rufus
08-15-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm curious as to when you like to hunt in the AM or PM, or when ever you get time. I prefer the AM hunting,as i like the fresh smell of the early morning. Plus i usually see more critters then. But i do hunt when ever i get a chance, AM or PM. :D

bochunk2000
08-15-2004, 07:49 PM
I put the morning, but I go when I can. I hunt differently depending on the time of day.

Kirby
08-15-2004, 08:35 PM
When I got time I am out there. But if I had to pick a favorite time, mornings, nothing better than a totally peaceful morning of watching game move about as the day starts.

Kirby

Marc
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM
I prefer morning hunts that way if you do get something you have all day to get it out with lots of light. I'll go pretty much any chance I get. I've been just as lucky in the evenings as I've been in the mornings. I like to still hunt mornings and sit near a clearing or good trail just before dark.

Marc.

bone-collector
08-15-2004, 09:23 PM
I always prefer early morning as in first light, as Marc said and I have said it before all day to deal with a downed animal and you can see if there may be any curious critters lingering around better in the daylight :wink:

Steeleco
08-15-2004, 11:16 PM
I like to be in "the spot" in the dark. I work graveyards and the coming of light means it's almost time to go home, (or start hunting) either way the best time of day.

dizzydan
08-16-2004, 03:30 AM
I also like the morning, nice & quiet.Nice to see the woodscome alive at the break of day. DAN>>> :D

coaster
08-16-2004, 08:40 AM
I like the morning best, but I like to sit in a good spot at dusk and watch game trails near water and good feeding areas...

bill
08-16-2004, 09:44 AM
yes morning is good everything is nice and clear for me and the critters.

3kills
08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
i put whenever i have time...but i prefer the am like marc and rob said u got all day to get it out..and u can hunt all day as well...

Elkaholic
08-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Me and my father hunt more morning and evening, but we have shot a number of dandy animals at 12-3 in the afternoon, we tend to think the older smarter animals do this cuz they know when the hunting pressure is coming and now how to get around 99% of the people.

08-17-2004, 04:34 PM
l like being "somewhere" before daybreak and watching. That being said l have taken animals at all times of the day over the years. More activity in the mornings then in the afternoon, a more sightings in nasty weather all day long, then on clear days..

Salty
08-17-2004, 04:58 PM
By far my favorite is to be where you want to be at the break of day. Like said if nothing else just watching the bush wake up is worth the trouble. And, its usually a productive time to hunt.

Last year, I shot my dear at about 11:00am, so you never know, but I've seen most game near daybreak or near dusk.

MRBucks
08-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Mornings for me.
I like others have said prefer to have the rest of the day to pack out an animal. I hate leaving one in the bush overnight.

One time I popped a buck, late in the afternoon. By the time it was gutted, it was dark, and I was cold. After a few hours in the trailer, supper eaten, and warm, I got to urging my partner to go back up the hill,and drag the deer back down to the truck. He thought I was crazy, but agreed, and off we went with flashlites. Nothing like a good, understanding partner! I slept better that night, knowing it was safe and sound in camp.

The other problem with the evening hunt, is counting tines. I hate having to do that in the first place, but it pi$$es me off when the light has gotten bad, and the critter is standing in the shadows. I mean, you have to pass on it, as many areas have the antler restrictions, and you just can't take a chance :cry: You watch it till your eyes feel like they are going to melt, hoping to get a good view of the antlers, and then its totallly dark, and your hooped till morning!

Yup. My votes for AM.

Foxer
08-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Mornings are best. Not just for results but for pure enjoyment.

There's nothing quite like that feeling staring out over a feild when you're just waking up, that sweet wind is in your face, your bones are just warming up, and the woods feel alive and the day is FULL of possibility. Greatest feeling there is.

Plus i hate skinning in the dark. :D

Rufus
08-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Yes i agree with all day to deal with downed game. I've been in the same situation as MRbucks, but i had to leave it over nite. Luckly it was cold over nite. Got back early in the am, the ravens or coyotes hadn't got to it. Last fall i passed on a nice sized black bear because it was near dark. Great responce to the poll, 8) thanx

BCrams
08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Wow -

Just so you all know ..... I am currently the LONE vote for Evening hunts.

I don't know why, but I do quite well hunting late afternoons and evenings.........

I will admit though, I get caught frequently far and away from the truck with a downed animal, or having to walk out in the dark .... and its miserable as hell sometimes with cold wind, rain, snow etc ...... and not to mention its quite EERIE hiking an hour or two in the dark under compass to get back to the road that leads to the truck or vehicle etc ...... Not to mention I get soooo bagged and tired.

Quartering an animal in the dark after cleaning and then packing the critter out is no fun either .........

BUT ... most times I've got a big SHEET EATING GRIN when I'm packing or dragging that big buck out !!!!

stonesheep
08-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Well I cant leave you alone out here RAMS, I too like the twighlite setting down for the evening. I have had most of my luck just an hour or two before dark, and yes as you all say this means dealing with the dark.....the bewitching hour for all that is toothy and evil. Only ever had one one in in all my years that made me pee my pants so to speak, so I will go with the odds.

Ps. Hey BCRAMS, did i miss the story of your stoner hunt or has it just not been posted, I have been waiting to hear what went on and what you guyds saw on you trip....I did see your pics and they look good

Jody

tracker
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Sorry to break this down like this but I hunt every animal different.

whitetail-- evenings

muley---- morning

moose ---- morning

elk --- evening

bear ---- evening

grouse --- both

So I guess that makes me undecided . Just get out when ever I can.