PDA

View Full Version : homemade archery targets

tailgate77
11-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I am waiting for my new bow from .270win, and I am thinking about targets. I was thinking about a cardboard box filled with more cardboard. I'll make some circles on it and I am ready to go. When its destroyed I can just recycle it. I will probably get pass throughs with it but it should slow them down a bit. I want to get one of those nice foam ones but they are pretty costly. Any suggestons?

willyqbc
11-14-2006, 08:48 AM
take that same cardboard box and fill it with rags....pack em in tight, this wil easily stop arrows with field points. Another good choice is a gunny sack filled with shrink wrap or grocery bags, again it needs to be packed VERY tightly. If you want to shoot broadheads you will need some sort of high density foam.

Chris

mark
11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
A sack full of plastic bags works awesome, go to a construction site at the insulation stage, Take 1 insulation bag and fill it with all the others. i did this and got enough for 4 huge targets from 1 house! They are usually happy to see you take it away!

Awishanew
11-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Get a burlap sack that coffee beans come in. Fill it with stretch plastic that stores wrap pallets of produce in. Pack them tight and they will last you a long time and will stop the strongest of bows.

Bow Walker
11-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I fourth what everyone else said about the gunny, coffee, or burlap sacks stuffed with plastic grocery bags. It works well and will last you a long, long time.

The shrink wrap - I found - tends to grab the shaft and tighten around it, making it difficult to pull the shaft out of the target.

The shrink wrap tightens because of the friction from the arrow whizzing into it......there is a lot of heat buildup for a split second and then the wrap cools and tightens around the shaft.

Just my .02 cents

dave_fras
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
what ever u do dont use that blue insulation.... it melts to your arrows haha

Ubertuber
11-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Don't pack the shrink wrap very tight to avoid the "gripping" problem.

BigD
11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey tailgate 77 is there any snow in Cumberland or up behind Comox Lake

Rod
11-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Plenty behind the lake, 70cm on Mt Washington and from what I saw today it's moving down fast!

Sounds like we are in for lot's of rain here in the valley over the next couple of days and cooler weather should = more white stuff as you go up.

tailgate77
11-14-2006, 07:12 PM
No snow in Dodge city, yet. We went up the mountain yesterday for a drive. Lots of snow at the lodge. We were at Point Holmes in the morning and it was windy and rainy, go to the top of the mountain and it was cold and unbelievably clear. The snow was on the road around the 2k mark. Thanks for the info. We have loads of shrink wrap at work and I have piles of plastic bags around, plus I work construction so i can get lots of insulation bags. I should get my bow later this week. Really excited. I gotta get some arrows and a release and an arm guard and I should be in buisness.

5/10/85
11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Whatever you do don't!!! use high density foam for broadheads - they're a b-tch to pull out! Get a 2X8 foot 2" thick sheet of regular white styro from a home centre and cut it into four equal pieces, then duct tape them together. Piece of cake, good for broad heads and field points and under $10 - but your arrows will go 1/3 to 1/2 way through - the downside - you can easily shoot out a section with too much shooting in the same place. But great for occasional practice and sighting in.

willyqbc
11-18-2006, 01:11 AM
make that target just thick enough that your broadheads will poke through when you shoot. Then unscrew them before pulling your arrow. The target will last MUCH longer this way.

Chris