PDA

View Full Version : Interior upland on the weekend

MichelD
11-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Had a great weekend chasing pointers chasing quail and pheasants in the morning and waiting for whitetails in the snow in the afternoon with Slyfox.

Maybe Dano will help me post a pic of Slyfox with one day's bag. We ended up with three roosters, 8 quail and a mallard for the weekend. Slyfox did his usual skilled shotgunning and I wish I had the time to tell you about the astounding greenhorn mistakes I made like pulling the trigger on a flushing rooster with the safety on or missing the first shot on another one and short-shucking and jamming my pump gun trying for a second shot. Ah ... the things memories are made of.

It was my first ever outing after quail and pheasant I'm hooked.

Watching an older experienced dog and a first year pointer work the birds was amazing. All in all an awesome weekend with great company.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/slyfox1.jpg

Dano
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Looks like you guys had a great weekend, nice roosters!
I think everyone tries to get a shot at a rising pheasant too quickly, take your time as they level out and make for a much easier target.
I haven't hunted over pointers for years but it's probably the best hunting you'll ever experience for upland birds.
Dano

Ian F.
11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Congrats Michel! So that little 20 worked just fine?

Can't tell you how jealous I am! Yet to even point on a pheseant or quail, let alone pull the trigger on one! Hopefull next year when I get my full vacation allotment, and learn BC a little better!

I'm guessing after a feed fo pheasent your wife will want you chasing them more often!

Very best,

IAn

MichelD
11-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes Ian, over the three days I carried Slyfox's Beretta semi, his Baikal over-under, and my Ithaca 20, and they all have their virtues, with the double's quick two shots a great advantage, but the Ithaca Feathereight 20 is extremely light, and fast too if I do my part.

Those quail are fast! I think I can honestly say that I got one out of 8 all weekend, at least I think so, but we both shot at the same time, so maybe I can claim an assist.

bogman
11-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks like Black Sage bench in the background

KMH
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
HAA! thats why I recognized SLYFOX... I saw this pic a day before i ran into him duck hunting8)

Nothing beats bird hunting eh?

I've only shot a few birds so far but I'm already hooked!:lol: