PDA

View Full Version : Saw 2 - no shot

Bow Walker
11-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Well I took my new Diamond Liberty on its first hunt this past weekend. Went up to a spot just north of Cobble Hill.

It was an evening hunt - or as we used to say, we went for the night flight. Just before it was too dark I spotted two lovely does crossing an open area at the trot. They stopped at the far side for a few seconds (long enough for me to want the second one) and then disappeared into the thick crap.

I was about 75 - 80 yards away when I first spotted them and it took me a few minutes to get to where they entered the thicket. Of course they were long gone, and they were not making any noise or moving any branches at all. As thick as it was in there you'd think that there might be - or ought to be - some sign of their passing. Nope, nothing.

After sniffing around a bit and creating way too much noise, I headed back out and homeward with just memories - again. I am determined to take some meat with my bow, so I am not even considering using a gun.

In fact I am in the process of selling off all my guns and I am going to concentrate on archery full time. Target, 3D, and hunting.

Season's not over yet - stay tuned.

Rod
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
This bow hunting thing is habbit forming, I too have little intrest in using a gun this year. Could be that I don't want my GF to show me up with her crossbow buck :-)

Might take the rifle out looking for a high country buck where long shots are more likely but it certainly will not be the same thrill as taking one with a bow.

I just signed my 15 year old son up for the next CORE course so he will be able to take a bear in the spring as well as backing me up with a rifle as I try to take a VI bear with the bow..... Can hardly wait!!

Rod

Bow Walker
11-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Good luck Rod, and son. It's great hunting with family.