PDA

View Full Version : How Many Pins and Max Hunting Shot Distance

greybark
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
This year while Elk hunting I encountered several bowhunters with sight pins out to 80 yds . Each of them indicated they were good enough and would take a hunting shot at that distance .
Do you agree and what is your maximun distance ?

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Boy your really gonna open up the can of worms here Gbark. No pins on my recurve but when I shot wheels 40 yards was a maximum. I understand the new bows are really fast but does speed relate to penetration or does weight relate to penetration. I just hope the guys with the 80 yard pins aren't the same guys shooting Lazeroni rifles at deer at 6 and 700 yards. They really never became bowhunters did they!

NEEHAMA
11-10-2006, 05:50 PM
80 yards! i can barley shoot my rifle that far. let alone the hole robin hood thing. i think the rule for big game is no more than 40? is this not right?

4blade
11-10-2006, 05:59 PM
20,30, 40, anything after that for 3d only ,i,m sure those guys are great out to eighty but what if the animal moves ,ethically too risky a shot ,too much of a margin for error for me .

5/10/85
11-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I would have no doubt that with a range finder, low to no wind, the reality that the animal is not aware of your presence, being a very, very good shot (as well as having a clean shot), with a 70+ lb bow and NO buck fever, an 80+ yard shot would be quite possible (and even a good shot). That being said, those are a LOT of things that need to go exactly right. My general rule is anything over 40+ yards is a no-no, but then again, I don't carry a range finder and most of the spots I hunt a 40+ yard shot is unlikely to present itself anyhow.

I guess if you've been hunting an area for a long time and never got a shot at a big bull at less than 80 yards, you might figure out how to get all these things right and bring yourself home a real big trophy. I just hope that these guys weren't trying to shoot their first animal with a bow at 80 yards.

Ddog
11-10-2006, 07:25 PM
i have been bowhunting for quite a number of years now and i have taken close to 50 big game animals down, i have never taken a shot over 30 yards, however, i have 25, 35, and 45 yard pins on my bow and i will take the longer shot at an animal if all condintions are perfect and to date there has always been one condition not right for the big trophy animal.
after reading many books and seeing lots of pics of huge animals taken down by the bow i think that alot of people are looking for the longer shots. I have a book with at least 10 world class animals shot by bowhunters and not 1 of those animals has been less than 55 yards, the farthest animal being 85 yards. I do practice the far shots but thats just to improve my aim at the closer shots. so that being said my farthest shot that i would take is 40 yards, if i get a draw on an animal at that distance or closer i smile from ear to ear knowing it will be coming home with me.
(maybe..lol)
ddog

p&p
11-10-2006, 07:36 PM
do 60 max and try to get it down to 30 / 40

Bow Walker
11-10-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree with Ddog - I regularly practice out to 50 + yds but I don't think that I am comfortable shooting beyond 40 yds.

That being said, If (and that's a huge IF) all conditions were absolutely right, I would be sorely tempted to send a shaft on its way to 55 yds.

Those conditions would include negligible or no wind, animal feeding contentedly and totally oblivious, flat field shot, and plenty of time to draw and set up the shot. Almost impossible to all come together, but I keep hoping.

dave_fras
11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
ill shoot up to 60 yards..... i shoot all year long tho.... gophers all summer long.... rabbits.... grouse.... yotes in the winter....i dont believe in a 80 yard shot tho.... too muhc can go wrong

bsa30-06
11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
My pins are set at 20,30,40 yards and prefer to shoot under 30 yards.I'm still practicing at 40 i can do it but my comfort zone would be out to 30 yards.I'm sure there will be alot of guys on this site that can shoot outside of 40 yards and probably very accuratley but i'm a beginner and will stay in my comfort zone till i'm ready to take the next step.

Kirby
11-10-2006, 10:26 PM
I have pins to 60, only willing to shoot to 40. I don't shoot as much as I like, or as much as I use to, at one point I shot daily out to 90m and still wouldn't shoot game past 40. Too many variables. If I wanted to shoot farther I'd keep rifle hunting.

Kirby

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 11:08 PM
DDog, I agree 100%. Greybark, if you look and read my reply,( how& where this whole thing started) you might understand. As I said in my reply," EVERYTHING" has to be right!!!!!

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Oooops, I meant I agreed with 5/10/85. Even though like ddog and bowalker, I don't like to shoot past 40 yrds.

mark
11-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Im very comfortable out to 50 yards (in perfect conds) But i did take a buck in the heart last year at 65 yards, only cuz i thought i wounded it with my first shot, but turns out i missed clean with the first one.

brotherjack
11-10-2006, 11:49 PM
1 pin (or a scope, actually), 25 yards. Crossbow.

Would probably change if I had a rangefinder and practiced more.

Ron.C
11-11-2006, 08:15 AM
I am basing my feedback on Elk size game. I agree with bsa 30-06. 20-30, and 40 yard pins are will do it all. With this setup, if you range a animal a little over 40, "40-45" you can easily adjust. We all shoot distances much further than 50 yard on the range and even in some local 3d's. I think that there is simply too much room for for error on these longer shots taken with a bow. I am not saying it isn't possible, but not a good Idea. I kind of relate these extreme long distance shots with a bow at big game to the guy that had a video on the net not long ago shooting big game at ranges of up to 900 yards wiyh a rifle. Yes it is possible ,but I don't know about you, but I get my satisfaction and heart pounding out of the hunt, not the shot.

J_T
11-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Although I practise out to 50, my max range on elk is 25yds and on whitetail 15yds. And all of that depends on the conditions. ( passed on a broad side elk at 12yards this past season)

I've seen good bowhunters that use one pin, set around 20 yards. Good estimations on their part and they focus, just under or just over the pin. Most importantly, they shoot 3D with the same set up they hunt with. I don't think that can be appreciated enough.

In my opinion, practise, with what and how you hunt.

JT

Blacktail
11-11-2006, 09:55 AM
How many pins depends on how cold it is!!:roll:
It will determine how many hairs are sticking up from my left hand:lol:

When I shot wheels I had a pin out to 40 but rarely used it and mostly only at the range.
It looks like I am going to have to go back to wheels as a recurring shoulder problem keeps cropping up.
I will still have one to 40 but I have a self imposed max of 30 yards when I shoot at an animal.

swamper
11-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I have pins out to 60 yards. I feel that my maximum comfort shot on a deer is 50 yards, and on a moose out to 60. After that the rifle comes oiut.

mcrae
11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
25 yards and no pins for me:) I shoot my recurve out to 50 and 60 yards when I am goofing around and want to try and see what I can do but I consider a 30 yard shot a long shot for me.

QnsCowboy
11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't think the margin for error can be emphasized enough...80 yards sure opens the door for bad hits on the game...I have 25, 35 and 45 pins, and I am yet to use my 45....

Craig

Onesock
11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
In my opinion shoot as far as you want. If you are willing to put up $1000 for each shot taken, and you miss, give a thousand bucks to a charity of your choice. I doubt any of you would be shooting at a deer at 50 yards, at least not more than once. Mark- you said you took a deer at 65 yds but you thought you wounded it first. How far was your first shot?

nykoma
11-12-2006, 05:44 PM
i've done 60 yards at the range. but for hunting i have only the 20 30 40 yard pins on

oldtimer
11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I have pins out to 60 yds but they are more for 3D . I am comfortable at 40 yds for hunting . If a Moose presented it self properly and everything was good good I would go to 50 on him. Mike

BowSitter
11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree with most guy's here and would only shoot up to 40 yds.
I only use 20,30,40 yd. pins

JohnS
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
yupp 20 30 40 yrd shots are max for me also... the rest of the pins on my Spot Hogg are for 3D shooting ( 7 deadly Pins )

steel_ram
11-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I found many pins great on the range, but a lot confusing under the pressure of hunting. A "point blank" or, "never aim lower than" pin is usefull. Then a 20,30 and 40 for when I'm really feeling confident.

There was a very short period in my hunting career when I could and did take a deer a 60 yards. Couldn't and wouldn't do that now. The wife and family would never tolerate the hours I once spent at the range.

Walksalot
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
My self inposed limit is 30 yds.

willyqbc
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Things can and do go wrong with shots at all ranges with all weapons. My wifes deer this year is a prime example....120 yds with a rifle, deer takes a step as she squeezes off and a long tracking job ensues...easily could have lost that animal. Point of this is that you need to use your instincts to read the situation and shoot within your own abilities. It is crucial that you are honest with yourself as to what those abilities are. Ability of your equipment must also be considered, my wife was 1st in the nation for indoor FITA and 3rd in Canada at the 3D nationals last year but we have limited her to 35yds hunting because her draw weight is light and she just doesn't have the power in her set-up that most of us men do. I also believe species has a lot to do with it. I will personally go longer on a moose than an elk, longer on a mulie than a whitetail simply due to the nature of these animals. I have a max distance and it is for ideal shot situations....the less ideal the situation the lower the max range.
As to the original question...my max range??.....well I'll just say its something I'm comfortable with:wink:

Chris

Nails
11-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I have 5 pins (Trophy Ridge Matrix), use three pins 20 30 40yds, max range 30 yards on island deer, 40-45 yards on moose. IMO I don't mind going home empty after taking my bow for a walk. Besides I get more days in the field this way.

jessbennett
11-17-2006, 12:30 AM
willyq puts it best. there is soo many variables with hunting period. i have pins set out to 65. shot my mulie last year at 62 yards, one shot died in 30 yds. deer 2 years ago 50 yds again one shot died within 50. first big game animal with a bow was a bear, steep uphill at 53 yrds one shot died after 3 steps, and almost rolled me over on the way down the hill. all were pass throughs and good kills. i rarely practice under 50 yds and i pratice in all positions i can think of. im very confident in my shooting ability out to 60 yards and will shoot that distance if i have to and be very comfortable in doing it.granted most of my shots average around 30 yards. bear last spring was 11 yards. so does this make me an unethical bowhunter??? i dont really think so. to each there own.8)

greybark
12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
:) Lots of common sence here with sound distance limitations . What it boils down to is that the technical advantages of to-days bows are reaching a stage where it is not what the shooter is capable of but what the animal can do during the flight time of the arrow .

road warrior
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I shoot an 80 lbs bow with a 418 grn arroww at 321 fps and shot a 450 lb black bear at 84 yards and blew rite threw. My arrow stuck into a tree so deep I could'nt pull it out. So if your confident in your skill and equipment go ahead just do'nt miss.

Ron.C
12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
84 yards! Wow. Since this thread is opinion and personal preference, I will throw in my 2 cents. There are all kinds of systems people use to determin there max hunting range. Here is the one I use. And before I start, I think when you are determining your max "EFFECTIVE" range you have to bruitally honest with yourself. If not, there is not a doubt in my mind that when a shot presents itself that is questionable, you will make the wrong decision. Here is how I guage mine. If when I am sighting in with my broadheads, which I do for up to two months before hunting season, If I cannot put every single broadhead tipped arrow into a 4" circle, I will not shoot at an animal at that range. Period. For me that is just over 40 yards when I know the range, for others it could be more. I am not going to question anyones ethics, but I think having the ability to pass on questionable shots weather they are too far or poor shot angles makes us better hunters.

greybark
12-05-2006, 12:44 PM
8-) Hey Road Warrior , as I pointed out the most critqical and uncontrollable factor is what the animal can do during flight time . Your flight time at 84 yds is .79 of a second . I suspect all animals can move enough during this time to allow a wound or a complete miss . The question that presents its self is how does the bowhunter know with certainty that the animal will not move and if he can`t does this fit in the unethical equation .

dougan
12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
40 yards tops!!!! most people can shoot realy well up to 50 yards on a target just add a peice of hair and A rack and see what happens. people have no biusness even thinking of shooting that range at an animal and if they say they do give em a crack in the beak.

mikek blacktail
12-05-2006, 02:32 PM
40 yards tops!!!! most people can shoot realy well up to 50 yards on a target just add a peice of hair and A rack and see what happens. people have no biusness even thinking of shooting that range at an animal and if they say they do give em a crack in the beak.

I'm not saying people should shoot past forty yards,I know people who think 30 yrds should be the limit, but I sure shot my elk this year at 62 yrds right in the lungs and a follow up shot 5seconds later that hit the exact same spot for good measure which was at 67 by my range finder.So what I 'm saying is I have shot past 4o yrds ,if your ever in courtenay you can stop by and give me that crack in the beak you talked about and I'll show you pics of the25 plus deer I've shot with a bow in my time that were taken between 6yrds and 67 yrds and have never lost one in my life

magicarrowman
12-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Dougan, there's quite a few people here that can shoot 40 plus yards! (including myself) If you bothered to read the replys to the original post, you would know that certain things must be in order to even think of taking a shot like that!!!!! When I go out , it's not like every shot is going to be taken at 40 or more yards. As far as the crack in the beak, 40 YARDS TOPS IS YOUR OPINION, keep it to yourself!

willyqbc
12-05-2006, 10:21 PM
keep it friendly gentlemen....good discussion so far, don't let it turn into name calling!

Chris

dougan
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying people should shoot past forty yards,I know people who think 30 yrds should be the limit, but I sure shot my elk this year at 62 yrds right in the lungs and a follow up shot 5seconds later that hit the exact same spot for good measure which was at 67 by my range finder.So what I 'm saying is I have shot past 4o yrds ,if your ever in courtenay you can stop by and give me that crack in the beak you talked about and I'll show you pics of the25 plus deer I've shot with a bow in my time that were taken between 6yrds and 67 yrds and have never lost one in my lifeWork on your stalking skills you wont have to shoot so far big guy

mikek blacktail
12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Work on your stalking skills you wont have to shoot so far big guy

90% of my shots are under 30 yards and my stalking skills are just fine thankyou, but I guess in your case ignorance is bliss.SO I'll end this conversation and agree with you that you think you no everything, so you win the pissing match.
See yah later winner

puppychow
12-06-2006, 11:37 AM
20,30,40 yd. pins. not many archers can shoot over that range. try getting close to your game, its a challenge. if you only want meat, use a firestick, not a cedar shaft.

Onesock
12-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Mikek Blacktail- Thats a pretty impressive track record for someone 29yrs young. That many animals and have never missed one. I am impressed. Sounds like smillin' Chuck has some comptetion! Hope to see you at some 3-D shoots on the Island this year and you can show Bernie how to shoot!

mikek blacktail
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Mikek Blacktail- Thats a pretty impressive track record for someone 29yrs young. That many animals and have never missed one. I am impressed. Sounds like smillin' Chuck has some comptetion! Hope to see you at some 3-D shoots on the Island this year and you can show Bernie how to shoot!

I'm not saying I haven't missed before but mainly due to misjudging the yardage.I've fixed that with my new range finder .I don't do that great on 3d there all in the kill zone, but I don't aim for the ten ring I always just aim for a kill shot like when I'm hunting, one inche behind the shoulder and dead center up and down.I've done very well for myself I don't think anyone has got a bigger bow buck on the island than me in the last few years(rack wise)2003) 105 6/8 04) 108 and 100 2/8 05) 101 6/8 and a 165 mulies 06 113 2/8 all net score.

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Onesock- Not that you didn't believe mikek blacktail, but just to back his post... I would know first hand because I used to be his hunting partner when I was living on the island. He's a damn good shot, and quite the hunter!! In the past 4 seasons, we've both taken some impressive animals.
(all of them make the books!!) Unfortunately, his have been a bit bigger than mine were.( yeah, I'm jealous a bit!! ) We would practice 4 to 5 days a week for at least a couple of hours a day, on every kind af shot thinkable...( moving,crouched,twisted backwards..etc. ) I just hope when I've been hunting for as long as he has, my wall is just as impressive!! ( it should be, seeing I have 8 book animals in just 4 years. ) Don't worry mike, I'll catch ya....haha!

Kirby
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
blah blah blah holier than thou, you can't shoot that far, crossbows are horrible, mech are the devil ya da yada. my ethics are better than yours... same old crap new day.

What I want to know though is...

2003) 105 6/8 04) 108 and 100 2/8 05) 101 6/8 and a 165 mulies 06 113 2/8 all net score.

GOT ANY PICS:smile: 8-) sounds like some good seasons!

Kirby

Onesock
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I never said I didn't believe him. Can't you read? The whole point is you shouldn't be shooting at 50 plus yards because an animal can move ever so slightly and make a perfect shot a miss or worse yet a gut shot. As for the not so good at 3-D shoots theory,hunting is way more stressful than 3-D shoots. Mikek should attend some and get to be an even better shot!
If you miss a 3-D kill you certainly will miss a real animals kill.

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
onesock... blah, blah, blah, you're right, I guess you must know it all when it comes to everyones eithics, distances, etc. Like I've said before on this thread and a couple of others....certain things have to be in order to be able to take a shot at these distances. The main one is...THE ANIMAL DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE YOU'RE EVEN THERE!! That is YOUR opinion whether or not you should shoot. Don't force it upon us that can actually take and make a successful shot like that as there are a few here that can do it!!

greybark
12-06-2006, 05:39 PM
:sad: OK , Stick to the thread !!!!!! If you wish to inform us of your Book Harvests start another thread .
8-) I was cetainly impressed on the self imposed limitations . One of natures way of animals not over grazing and a safe mode is for them to constantly move even while eating . I appreciate those who stated too much can go wrong during "flight time" and those who shoot long distanses very well still have NO controll what can happen .
:-( As a point of interest only 6-8 shoot a perfect round at the indoor 3-d shoot at Abbotsford with one to three targets set to a max 40 yds (approx). As a former compound archer I am in absolute awe of their skills and dedication . Imagine a course of 20 targets set outside 55-80 yds . Scores ? anyone .

Onesock
12-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Magiman blah blah yourself. If you can say you never missed a deer or wounded one your a better archer than most here. I don't think the critters should pay for 60/70 yd shots you seem to advocate. Bowhunting is about how close one can get not bout how far you can shoot. Oh, by the way how do you boys know you never wounded any critters?

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
onesock...how do I know i've never wounded one at that distance.... first of all, I've only taken a shot at over 40 plus yards at 2 animals and got them both.( one shot, one kill )Second, of ALL the animals I've shot at, I harvested each and every one of them. There has only been one animal that needed a second shot,( due to tiny branch )and had I left it a couple of more hours, it would have died where I found it when I took the 2nd shot.(realized this when gutting and skinning animal.) I know very well bowhunting is about how close I can get, and all but two have been 35 yards or less.

Onesock
12-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I am glad that most of your shots are under 35 yds. The only point we are trying to make is animals can and do move in the feeding mode wether they know you are there or not. Shooting 65yds plus has alot more room for error, is all I am saying.

magicarrowman
12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree. I really don't suggest that every bow hunter should attempt shots like these. I know some gun hunters that should be closer than 40 yrds. Everyone has their limits, and they should shoot accordingly!! Even if their limits are 40 plus yards, I deffinitely don't think they should take the shot each time. To execute a shot like this, alot of things have to be in order. If one of those things aren't in sync, I don't shoot.

GoatGuy
12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Mine was 40 yrds with the compound.

Old man was 35yrds with a recurve - he had to practice way more to stay consistent.

Had a who could shoot better at 100 yrds than most bowhunters can at 40. Met a guy this summer who's shot 2 rams at better than 80 yrds - as far as shooting goes he's in a league of his own (you'll probably see him in a video in the next couple years). I've never seen anyone shoot like that ---- let the flaming begin!

houndogger
12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
I know my limits and stick to them. I guess if you can lie your head down on that pillow at night after taking 84 yard shots on a live animal then sweet dreams.:?

superkill
06-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I know a guy that took a moose at 80 yards with a recurve but thought
it was alredy leaking.
he has been around the block.
He would never take stupid shots other wise.And I admire him for his
ethics even if he doesnt have his glasses on. HA HA
Myself ive shot a number a clean rounds at 3D shoots
but will not shoot over 40 yards,give or take a couple.
The speed of sound is much faster tthan the arrow dont care what
bow you shoot.
Iwas on a bear about 4 years ago at 55 yards and it was oblivious
to me being there. Ranged it and decided to take the shot when it turned
broad side with front leg forward.
I put my 3D skills in over drive with no fever completely relaxed.
Took the shot, arrow flying true, bear lifted its head to watch the
arrow coming did a side step and watched the arrow fly right passed
him.
COMPLETE MISS!!! doesnt happen in 3D.
That changed me too 40 yards max.
I am very confident with my shooting but have to be ethical
Each to there own I guess.
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Since i have one pin and move it to where i need it .... when I hunted with fixed pins it was 20 30 40 50 60 ...... all but 2 of my bow harvests were under 25 yrds ... one was at 31 the other I jacked out to 56 on a bedded Muley in the bald ass praire. I knew there was no way to get closer ... the wind was none existant (a rarity for southwest Alberta) and I had every confidence that me and my equipment would make that shot.

I get kinda sick of people that chastise others for taking a shot longer than say 30 yrds ... (alot of eastern Americans come to mind) They have no idea what kind of terrian is out west or for some west coasters ... out east.

If one is confident in the shot then they should take it ....

In my exp a deer will jump a string between 25 and 40 yrds in a no wind situation ... beyond that a deer will never hear it ... inside that the arrow out of newer bows goes too fast to make a differance ...

interceptor
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I have 5 pins out to 60 yards, use a range finder and practice mostly at 60 yards with broadheads. I love nothing better than dropping a good boar at less than ten yards, but I have dropped a deer at 45 and was prepared to shoot out to 60 yards (Chital deer are very jumpy and super fast).

Best to shoot with in your comfort zone and choose the animal carefully.

Cheers Noel

pupper
07-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I know a guy that took a moose at 80 yards with a recurve but thought
it was alredy leaking.
he has been around the block.
He would never take stupid shots other wise.And I admire him for his
ethics even if he doesnt have his glasses on. HA HA
Myself ive shot a number a clean rounds at 3D shoots
but will not shoot over 40 yards,give or take a couple.
The speed of sound is much faster tthan the arrow dont care what
bow you shoot.
Iwas on a bear about 4 years ago at 55 yards and it was oblivious
to me being there. Ranged it and decided to take the shot when it turned
broad side with front leg forward.
I put my 3D skills in over drive with no fever completely relaxed.
Took the shot, arrow flying true, bear lifted its head to watch the
arrow coming did a side step and watched the arrow fly right passed
him.
COMPLETE MISS!!! doesnt happen in 3D.
That changed me too 40 yards max.
I am very confident with my shooting but have to be ethical
Each to there own I guess.
Cheers

true that will

I took a 50 yard fling at a black bear thinking the same thing and it also moved before the arrow got to him. I now shoot out to 40 when hunting even though I can shoot tight groups on the target range out to 70. It s amazing how much an animal can move after that string releases.
Even on those yanke whitetail treestand hunting videos, the whitetails have time to hunch down dramatically even on a 20 yard shot.

Bigbear
07-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Another good rule of thumb is as long as you can consistantly put your arrows in a 5 in circle at the distance your shooting. There is a couple of Fellers here that can do that at a 100 yards. For me a Moose or Elk at 60 yards with a broad side shot,and not spooked, No Problem. Deer 50, but if its nervous 30-40 or less.

Deerwhacker
07-17-2007, 08:45 PM
35 yards max for me, for how long it takes the arrow to get to the animal at further distances than 35 yards any aware animal can turn a good shot bad,I personaly like to have shots at about 3 yards like the last deer outa the tree stand:).

wsm
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
i keep 20,30,40,and50. 50 is only for 3D. personaly im not fomfortable out that far. 40 is a strech open shot not to much cover i'll take it otherwise it's stalk time

xtremearchery
07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
there is sometimes too much room for error at those long distances. I do know a couple guys though that are very comfortable at far distance shots and have been very successful. My self I like to be within 40 yards. Only because that is where i am most comfortable.

big game walker hounds
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
i have up to 70-73 yards hits about 2" high at 70 would maybe do 80 0n a elk, taken blacktails at 60-70 longest shot ever done and only did it once was on a giant 3x3 blacktail a couple years ago and that was range found at 76 rds, hammered throught the top of the hart. 50 - 60 no problem it all depends on the person i shoot 400- 700 yrds with my 338 lots moose hunting. took a yong bull last year at 764 yrds one shot facing straight at me my buddy looked at me like i was nuts. if you are comftrible and practice on it .

greybark
07-26-2007, 03:32 PM
:-DHEY BGWalkerHounds , What is your archery setup , arrow weight and speed????

Kirby
07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Big game, how much do you shoot to feel comfortable with those ranges? guessing you use a range finder?

Kirby

big game walker hounds
07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I shoot a AR 34 @ 70 lbs @30" , 28 beman ics hunter shafts @ 400 spine, with muzzy 75 gr broadheads, last time i cronoed my bow with my buddy it was 291 -293 fps, ive taken 4 bull and 1 cow elk, 2 bull moose, 17 black bear 3 cougar, 1 fallow deer, and 23 black tail bucks with archery equipment, first kill was a 2 pnt at 11 yrs old, thinking about trying thoe monoteck g5 100gr broad heads this year any one used them before?

BlacktailStalker
07-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Ideally 40 yards max if conditions were perfect, i.e unaware animal, no wind, zero possibility of deflections, no angle to take into account. Personally I'd like to be within 35 yards and usually have no problem doing so, often less than 20. Getting close is half the fun but it's hard to let a beauty walk if conditions are favourable.
I shoot a Hoyt Cybertec @ 70lbs, 30.5" draw, gold tip 5575, rocky mountain titanium 100 gr broadheads chrono'd @ 304 fps.
I dont question a persons distances or abilities. I would like to eventually stretch out a bit further given I've logged the time to practice and feel comfortable.
Lotsa brown comin' down this year !
Been dying to shoot a mature tom with my bow for 3 years now.

big game walker hounds
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
you run hounds?

BlacktailStalker
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Me? No. I've been, back before I bow hunted though.
Definitely something I'd get into should I get situated on some property outta city limits (if you can call courtenay a city) and have a couple/few.

BlacktailStalker
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
My elk hunting partner is shooting Montec G5's this year, will let ya know how they perform but by the sounds of things you may have a review sooner if those bucks co-operate for ya :)

Kirby
07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
thinking about trying thoe monoteck g5 100gr broad heads this year any one used them before?

I used them on my spring bear this year. Pulled it out of the dirt on the other side, still razor sharp. I'm happy and sticking with them for the fall season. I do get a slight whistle as they fly though.

Kirby

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Anything 40 yards or less is a sure thing (given they don't jump the string) I'm comfortable out to 60, have taken many animals in the 60-70 range, and one antelope at 80. 5 pins.