PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Decoys

longshot
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
So I had this idea to protect my GHG ducks with clear coat to protect them from the flaky GHG paint, and that was clear coating with a flat finish. I did some research and found that many guys do this to even the most expensive of brands. The most popular coat is Krylon's 5150 matte clear coat, and apparently it gives no shine at all and can reduce shine on flashy spots.

What I'm going to do is take an old decoy, try it, and let you know how well it works. I really want my deeks to last a while, as I also use slotted bags for everything.

Cheers,

Longshot jr.

lorneparker1
06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
it will still be shiny, less shiny with a matte finish but to shiny for me. paint with flat paints and touch up everyyear

Foxton Gundogs
06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
I use the anti photo radar paint to eliminate the UV factor on painted surfaces works well but not sure of the protective value or if its even still available. LP1 is right as far as painting with clear, may as well put a big mirror amungst your set even with flat the UV factor will still be there. I would listen to the man and touch up with flat non UV paint when needed.

Ian F.
06-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Paint fails most often in plastic decoys by loss of initial bond of the coating system. Whatever you put on top does not change that. Shine, Milking, and other unknown reactions are always a risk. People seem to forget that decoys loose paint through wear and tear, it's just the way it is be they commercial plastics or hand carved.

Very best,

Ian

Chessieguy
06-27-2012, 06:16 AM
These guys are right...a simple touch up should do the trick. I think we often get hung up that decoys need to look perfect. I have shot a good number of birds over decoys that had little or no paint on them at all, in fact have even shot a few over clumps of seaweed laid out in a field.

kyleklassen
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
These guys are right...a simple touch up should do the trick. I think we often get hung up that decoys need to look perfect. I have shot a good number of birds over decoys that had little or no paint on them at all, in fact have even shot a few over clumps of seaweed laid out in a field.was your seaweed fully flocked? and did you order it that way or flock it yourself?