PDA

View Full Version : Mulies in the open?

5/10/85
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm going soon for bow season to hunt mulies in what is really good rifle terrain...very open. Any ideas for how to get close to those big bucks? I'd prefer to stay under 35 yards for my shot (20 is better).

Jetboater
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Patience , Patience , Patience, getting within bow range is tough no matter how good you are, try hunting the thicker coulees and ravines you will do a lot better, hunt across the mountain not up the mountain, your best bet is to watch deer bed down and stalk them from that position, if you are patient and watch the deer you are hunting you can put yourself right in shooting position, WATCH THE WIND!!!! If the wind dictates that you go the long way around , than do it!!!. take your time!!!, the more time you spend on a stalk the better your chances of killing the buck. if anything you will learn more on deer behavior. Dont bother hunting mule deer if you get discouraged easily. cause it will happen on a regular basis, dont get mad if your first 10 stalks fail , it will happen , always ask for a little luck. Buy a pair of mocassins as they will help with the noise factor when you get in close. you will remmeber the big ones that get away more than the ones you get!!!

Mr. Dean
11-08-2006, 11:03 AM
I got a problem trying to get them under 500!

I don't know HOW you string-pullers do it.
The only thing that I can think of is trying to call em in, later in the rut(?)

Good luck, nevertheless. 8)

J_T
11-08-2006, 11:28 AM
My advice on Mulies is the spot and stock method.

At daylight the bucks will want to stop moving and bed down. They don't really like the wind if they can avoid it and they would prefer a little sun on themselves.

They will likely bed down in a location where they're protected (or feel protected) from above.

My recommendation is to go to an area you know of (wind protected, sunny), watch for them, if they don't bed, wait for them to slow down. Then move around them and come at them from above or above and beside.

Keep in mind that almost always, if a Mulie is flushed out of his bed, he's going up hill, even if you are above him. Which, becomes your best opportunity.

Spot and stalk mulies can be the absolute best challenge for a bowhunter.

A few years ago my two sons, my brother and I did a spot and stalk on a huge mulie buck and as we were coming down on him from above at about 75 yards, a couple of hunters started shooting from about 600 yards out. Needless to say, our hard work was lost.

Enjoy your day.

JT

WoodOx
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
5/10/85 I am trying to do the same as you. Although its not 500 metres of open between me and them, I m tryin to get a 3.5+ year old mulie with my compound this year.

What ive found works is to get upon them in their beds. Although this doesnt always work, especially if they wind you/hear you too early with mule deer I find they will jump and stand in their beds, or milla round for 30 seconsd before leaving when you find them bedded.

Stalk upto them, take your time, and if there is a buck present with the does than you should get a chance at a shot.
I made the mistake of getting within range of a group with a decent buck, but took a shot at 60 yards - WAY to far for a beginner bow hunter :D

best of luck

Steeleco
11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I got a problem trying to get them under 500!

I don't know HOW you string-pullers do it.
The only thing that I can think of is trying to call em in, later in the rut(?)

Good luck, nevertheless. 8)
That's funny, I thought I was the only one!!!

Good luck 5/10/85

magicarrowman
11-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I agree with blacktail3113. TAKE YOUR TIME AND WATCH THE WIND!!!!!!!! If it takes an hour to get to him, so be it. I often hunt that way later in the season. I've stalked many animals, and it's quite a rush trying to get within shooting distance. Wait till you try it on 400lbs.+ bears. If you get busted, you get busted. Any experienced bowhunter knows it ain't easy.
Good luck and hopefully you stick em'.

5/10/85
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow...thanks for all the great advice. I've been to this spot for 4 years and have never taken a shot (but there are tons of big bucks there). One question - how do you wear moccassins when it's -10c?

Marc
11-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow...thanks for all the great advice. I've been to this spot for 4 years and have never taken a shot (but there are tons of big bucks there). One question - how do you wear moccassins when it's -10c?

wear thick whool socks :mrgreen:

J_T
11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Yup, pull the socks right up over your boots.

JT

Jetboater
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
you would be suprised at how warm fur mocassins are!!!, good socks make a difference, and just be patient.

brotherjack
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Yup, patience is THE key. Mulies aren't nearly as skittish as whitetails or elk, but they will not tolerate you just trying to stomp on over and stick them with an arrow either.

Move REAL REAL slow, watch the wind, and more importantly, when at all possible, watch the deer. The second they show the least sign of being nervous, you need to freeze until well after they've calmed down again. Expect the stalk to take several hours - and if it looks like it's going faster than that, ask yourself if you're moving too fast.

Onesock
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
60 yards is too far for ANY bowhunter to shoot! Bow hunting is trying to see how close you can get not how far you can shoot.

Nooker77
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I put socks on over the boots as well...the softer the sole the better!! I have had my best luck hunting well used trails!! I find that if you can figure out where they are spending there nights...get above em and sit and glass...I always stake out a trail for first light.....then wing it from there....I just took my best buck (rifle) this morning and man are they ruttin hard!! Its funny..I've been out with the bow all week...grabbed old meat in the pot this morning as wife is wondering what I am doing seeing but not shooting all these bucks!LOL I'm walking down one of my fav. skid trails and I see 4 does.....look over...30yards!! Theres my 4pt standing lookin stupid!! Coulda had a booker with the bow!! Oh well...took a 165 last year with the old hoyt!! Still got the blood pumpin hard!!! Pics to follow on the weekend!!
Cheers

WoodOx
11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Uhg! Tried again today - second time ive missed a 4pt with my bow this year! this time it was at 42 yards, still a tad far, as I still shot under him. Either i need to get closer on my stalks, or I need to practice longer shots.

It sure is hard to get up close on a mulie buck when theyre moving b/c you have to move faster than them, which isnt easy to do while being quiet!

dave_fras
11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
hey gaucher..... start to practise longer shots.....i shoot gophers with my bow all season..... up to 60 yards....... so i figured if i can hit them 9 outta 10 times ill be good

WoodOx
11-09-2006, 08:49 PM
frasier how many u taken with a bow? I know quite a few, blakers told me bout some of them.

-Andrew

Kirby
11-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Uhg! Tried again today - second time ive missed a 4pt with my bow this year! this time it was at 42 yards, still a tad far, as I still shot under him. Either i need to get closer on my stalks, or I need to practice longer shots.

Shooting skills don't make up for hunting skills. Get closer.

Kirby

WoodOx
11-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Not going to continue.

Seems like poor attitudes, rude/unnecessary comments, and not helpful advice or sarcastic remarks are growing in popularity on here.

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I would completely forget about moccasins unless its Sept.. After the Rut is when you will be hunting mulies, or should I say it's basically over. The bucks will be in big Doug Fir slopes. This offers a great micro-climate area for them especially when it is cold an snowy. I rattled in a Mulie buck last Wednesday but have never had much luck rattling when we get our coveted BOWONLY season. Don't forget to take a vid-cam because a lot of times all you can do is look at them. This is half the fun cause you see deer that most guys never get a chance to see.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey augacher, I totaly agree with dave fras. Practice those long shots!! My hunting partner and I are at the bow range practicing 60/70/ even 80 yard shots, and going through the 3-d range doing the same but with trees and bushes in the way. The more you practice at these far ranges, you'll be surprised at how easy a 40-50 yard shot is. ( I have my pins set at 20-60 yards.) I've nailed a black bear at 72 yards with no problem what so ever.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey onesock, 60 yards is NOT too far to shoot for any bowhunter!! For most bowhunters, I agree with you on that fact, but I know a few guys out there (including myself) that have no problem shooting accurately from 50-70 yards consistantly. If YOU can't do it, don't come down on us guys who can.

WoodOx
11-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey onesock, 60 yards is NOT too far to shoot for any bowhunter!! For most bowhunters, I agree with you on that fact, but I know a few guys out there (including myself) that have no problem shooting accurately from 50-70 yards consistantly. If YOU can't do it, don't come down on us guys who can.

agreed :lol:

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Yah I know a few guys that shoot the 1000 metre rifle shoot everyyear. Why not take a few shots a deer then! Type is cheap.

greybark
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Magicarrowman , Being accurate at 50-70 yds on a 3-d course has little in common with a live animal at the same distance . During the arrows flight time at those distances animals may step forward ,backward , start to turn around or move in conjunction with other animals and the result is a wounded prey .
This year I have talked to quite a few elk bowhunters who insisted they were sighted in up to 80 yds and had no hesitation on taking the shot . Several years ago a prominate bowhunter loosed an arrow at 100 yds at an elk . He picked up his arrow at the 85 yd mark . When I questioned him on such a shot he acually defended it . The reasoning he used was the 100 m shots in field compitation . By the way he is very good archer and bowhunter but his shot ethics at that time left a lot to be desired . Hopefully he has out grown that habit as most of us have and would not repeat .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Greybark, Did he write that song about shootin the deer at 100 yards with his bow, or was that Indian outlaw.?

p&p
11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I just came back from the same thing bow hunting mulies in on gun rich terrain in the rut get a buddie to drive you 30 yards from the animal jumpo out and get your buddie to keep driving and just take the shot (there not scaired of farm equptment ) I got a butiful 5/5 muilie doing this 3 days ago when the guy told me to do this I thaught he was nuts but it rilly does work you may have tro be paciant I took me 4 tries to get a shot but I got one

greybark
11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
:lol: Hey p&p , I guess you would use John Deere Green for camo . LOL

REMEMBER - Keep Your Fingertab On --

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Greybark, I know very well that it's one thing on the range..... and it's not like every time I go out hunting I plan at shooting those distances. On the other hand, if everything is "right"(wind,shooting lane,etc.) I MIGHT. By the way, I also practice on moving targets at these distances. The only reason I would let an arrow fly at these distances, is because I PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE. As far as a 100 yrd. shot? Even I know thats too far! Like I said before,"don't come down on us who can". I say this because I know my own limitations, and I know my equipment down to the last grain. I've only shot at and killed 2 animals at this yardage and only attempted it on these occasions. I prefer my shots to be 25-40 yrds. and all but 2 have been. I practice those "too far" shots, because if I am accurate at those distances, and it is the only shot, and EVERYTHING is right, I "Might" take the shot.