PDA

View Full Version : The apprentiship of Michel D!

Ian F.
11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Michel made the mistake of hooking up with a duck junkie this morning, and well I did my best to send him down the right path towards feathers and webbed feet!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3560&cat=500&ppuser=1177

You don't get a grin like this if in the wet and the rain unless you've been bitten by the duck bug!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3559&cat=500&ppuser=1177

Part of our spread, a mix of my birds and GHG's, but the birds where not working well today, close, but not finishing, couldn't figure out why, but can you ever?

We ended the day with 4 mallards, and a widgeon. I had to leave at 10, to get home in time but got caught in the traffic on the pitt bridge, took us over an hour to travel about 2kms, I heard later in the day it was still blocked up! Looked like someone drove off it but haven't heard for sure.

Had a great day with a member of the forum, and hopefully only the first!

Very best,

Ian

MichelD
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Ian's a great guy and a heckuva an outboard motor to have in the back end of a canoe. Cheap on fuel too, Timmy's coffee and doughnuts at 6:30, and he'll go 'til noon without refueling!

I think I will get webbed feet if I sit much more in a camp chair in 18 inches of water with leaky waders.

dave
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Ian,

We had a good day as well, we actually hunted out of Dano's old blind. The channel is now more than passable. The beaver dams were about a foot under water and there is water all the way to were you put in.

I found the birds a little more careful today as well. We managed to come home with 1/2 a dozen mallards and if I hadn't shot like a rookie today (even got my gun tangled in my calls at one point and almost fell out of the blind) we could have limited out.

I have to tell you about the worst or best one. We had a big flight of 50 or 60 mallards come over really high and I thought they were a lost cause but as they went by I gave them a blast of three weak off key quacks and damn if they didn't turn on mass and lock in for the decoys, they came down so fast they sounded like a train. They went over the blind about 10 yards up and I was so amazed I forgot why I was there and didn't even got off a shot. No birds but, a memory that will last a lifetime.

dave
11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
PS

a pickup went over the side at about 2:30am, they think it was street racing.

HuntNHookSports
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Good to hear someone else is going duckin' nuts. We need more hard core duck hunters to keep our sport going.
Here on the island it was a hot and cold weekend. On Saturday we got our limit in 20 minutes.
On Sunday we got skunked. In 2 hours I did not even hear another shot in the bay. With all the rain the farms are flooded and thats where the ducks are (safe and sound).
Lots of chum everywhere. A big one jumped in the middle of our spread. Soon the bay will be full of dead salmon, and a guy has to take extra cation to keep the dogs from rolling in the carcasses. Worst smell on the planet.

Good luck everybody.

Dano
11-07-2006, 06:36 PM
We went out sunday to the cornfield and although it started out slowly, we had some decent flocks come in as the morning went on and we shot our 3 man limit of 24 mallards (lots of hens for some reason...).

We had singles and doubles come in early but the bigger flocks of 15-25 birds came in mid-morning. We needed 3 birds to fill out the limit and my buddy Tom and I were still shooting. We sat back in the camo fold out chairs we bought saturday and I could hear Tom snoring right away! Then I closed my eyes and after a few minutes I heard wings overhead. About 20 mallards were coming in and had their wings cupped and dropped. We got our 3 birds and that was it, just before noon. I've been scouting there the last few days but too much water out there and no birds to be seen. I may have to check out the marsh tommorrow although I heard it was slow sunday from a few other sources.
Good to hear you guys got into a few birds, maybe this coming weekend will find more ducks in the marsh.
Dano

MichelD
11-07-2006, 08:05 PM
More birds in the marsh on Sunday?

Darn! I'm with Slyfox for my first try at quail with my new-to-me old Ithaca 20 gauge pump.

And good news, the seller received my money order and my almost new second-hand Remington 870 was posted to me today.

Dano
11-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Good to hear you're getting the 870. Shot one for 30 years and it was very reliable. I shelved it last year and bought the Browning A5 because I've been having problems with an empty chamber after expelling the spent shell. I think I fixed the problem (tried it out on a few doubles trap and went 6 for 6!), but I really like the Browning and I've had surgery on both arms which I believe caused me problems pumping now (no BS ...at least my wife bought that story even though the elbow was pinned 30 years ago and the bicep was repaired about 10 years ago :lol: ).
We went to the marsh this morning and there is no dry land to stand on. The plus side is the water isn't too cold yet and there were some birds around. We concentrated on drake mallards after the first few flights and finished up with 12 drakes and 4 hens. I shot 3 doubles today and had a great chance to triple.... missed it clean and then Dan missed it (and it would have been his triple bird too!). Could have been done in 45 minutes but made it last about an hour and a half. Nice temperature out there and I hope the water drops enopugh by saturday so my dog isn't standing in the water. I'll take a platform for her just in case.
Ian, you can get your sneak boat in easy now. I didn't get out of the boat on either beaver dam and I cleared the log from the second dam. Quite a few birds over where you were talking about setting up (but they came our way so all was good :) ). I was at the spot we hunted a few weeks back as the wind was wrong for my usual spot.
Dano
Good luck on the quail Michel, post a few pictures as that's something I've never tried and would like to see some of the birds (I believe there are pheasants there also, maybe Chukar and Huns too???).

MichelD
11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a mysterious problem that's keeping me from posting pictures. But I'll take lots and figure out how to post 'em later.

Dano
11-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I can post pictures here (I moderate this area....:) ), just send them to me at:
cansosd@shaw.ca
Make sure to title them hunting pics.
Dano

slyfox
11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
There are pheasant and some huns around not chukar there a bit higher.