PDA

View Full Version : Which scope?

youngfellla
11-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Having a hard time deciding on which scope to put on my 416 Rigby. Right now I'm stuck between a Leupold VX II 1-4x20, or a Leupold Ultralight FX II 2.5x20. Not a huge decision, both are awesome scopes and I can't decide.:)

What do you guys think? This will be primarily a grizzly gun, and I will be using quick detach Talley rings so I can always take the scope off and use the iron sights for thick brush if needs be.

Should I shell out the extra $100 or so for the VX II, or buy the Fixed 2.5?

Thanks, Youngfellla

ryanb
11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Why bother with the quick detach rings when you have a low power scope? I find it easier to take a quick shot with a low power scope (<2 power) that using Irons, but that's me.

youngfellla
11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
The QD Talley rings came with the rifle when I bought it, so I might as well use them:)

I prefer iron sights to low power scope for thick brush, but either way works.

todbartell
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Fixed 2.5, if it were me deciding

WoodOx
11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Hard to say in the regard of grizz, but I would go with the variable. Ive never hunted grizz, but I would assume you have some longer shots as well as short ones?

Gateholio
11-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I used a 1.5-5 vari x III on my 375H&H

I liekl it alot

Schmaus
11-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I like the variable options never been a fan of fixed

Will
11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I had a Fixed 2.5x on my 458 and was Happy with it.
No Good for Mulies at 300 meters though..........:redface:

BlacktailStalker
11-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah go with the variable. You get both options in one, you cant add the variable magnification later :)

The 'Hummer'
11-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Go with the Leupold VX II 1-4. Thats the set up I have on my .444 Marlin, .45-70 Marlin GS & .458wm model 70. For quick access to iron sights, should the need arise, I've used Weaver Pivot mounts and to date they've worked well for me.:smile:

pork n beans
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Have you thought about an Aimpoint?

Mattimoose
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Have you thought about an Aimpoint?

I would never go after dangerous game with anything with a battery.

Mattimoose
04-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I put a vari-X II 1-4x on my butchers 7mm mag BPR and would have bought-it for myself if I had the cash. On a .416, I would put a Leupold LER scope on the barrel but that's just me. My .338 has a Leupold compact Var-X III in 1.5-5x over the reciever, and it will be pried from my cold, dead, hands a la Charlton Heston and I love-it dearly. I bought-it used for 550.00 and would never trade-it for nothing.

The 1-4x I put on my butcher's gun is what I think you should go with if the 416 is for Grizzlies. At 1x the clarity is fantastic and fast moving Bruins can be tracked with both eyes. The tube is also short-enough to maximize light-gathering. 4x is plenty good for long shots on big targets anyhow and generous Leupold eye relief will stop you from ever contacting the scope.

Mattimoose
04-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I used a 1.5-5 vari x III on my 375H&H

I liekl it alot

Can I put you on my buddy list? My .338 would get-along fine with your .375. Hell, I like the looks of that new .375 Ruger so much, I am either going to turn my BLR into one or neck that one down to .338 for my gun. 2.5" is 2.5". shoulder even looks to be in the same place, and I could probably neck-size prototype dummies when my .338-.348 Ackley improved dies show-up.

Mattimoose
04-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Why bother with the quick detach rings when you have a low power scope? I find it easier to take a quick shot with a low power scope (<2 power) that using Irons, but that's me.

X2 brother

Sitkaspruce
04-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I use a 1.75x6x32 Vari XIII on my 358 win bear gun. It allows me to shoot in the thick stuff and also get a better sight picture when I use it to hunt in more open areas.

I like the vari scope but thats me.

Mattimoose
05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I use a 1.75x6x32 Vari XIII on my 358 win bear gun. It allows me to shoot in the thick stuff and also get a better sight picture when I use it to hunt in more open areas.

I like the vari scope but thats me.

Oh man, now I know what I'll get my girlfriend to whisper in my ear. 1.75x6x32 Vari-X III! Shit, I gotta go change my shorts! I thought we weren't supposed to talk dirty on here. That is a nice scope. If you aren't using the 6x, I'll trade for my 1.5-5x VariX III...... Wishfull thinking. I guess you might want 6x on the .358 but It's trajectory kinda limits-it to like about 300 yards whereas my .338 Win. Mag will probably need 6x as my diabetes catches-up to my eyes. I have connected on 5x once on a big whitetail doe at over 600 yards, but my partner had already blown a leg off-of it; otherwise I would not have tried.

It kept trying to get-up and my partner was shooting over-it as he had a .308 and was over compensating bullet drop because he doesn't practice enough at long distance. I guessed the distance to be about 450, and the 250-grain Hornady spire-point hit the water beneath the Doe's belly. That's when I realized she was a really big-bodied Doe. I held-over her back 2 ft. and the bullet entered high on the side, above and behind the shoulder and rolled-her right over. I was amazed that the bullet had not exited the other side, but the skin had caught-it and it broke a rib entering and exiting.

The bullet was not too deformed ,really,but I had never recovered one before from my .338 to compare. It wasn't mushroomed much, but had bent a bit and fragmented a little at the nose with a little jacket peeling from the ribs I guess. The rib on the top seemed to have bent the nose I guess because the bullet seemed to dive down through the important bits before leaving through the ribs near the brisket. I could not believe that the trajectory would be that much of a rainbow, but I guess bent bullets or tumbling ones do strange things.

cmfic1
05-12-2007, 12:59 AM
On my .416 I have a Leupold 1.5-5, love this scope.

I also have a Vari XII 2-7 that I would/could work, and I am in the process of buying a 1.75-6 (long tube). The latter IMO will be about the best (for me)all 'round Scope a fella could put on a DGR.

Too bad Leuppy quit making the 3X though, that would be the scope I put on my Lott if I decide to do the build.

Mattimoose
05-12-2007, 03:46 AM
On my .416 I have a Leupold 1.5-5, love this scope.

I also have a Vari XII 2-7 that I would/could work, and I am in the process of buying a 1.75-6 (long tube). The latter IMO will be about the best (for me)all 'round Scope a fella could put on a DGR.

Too bad Leuppy quit making the 3X though, that would be the scope I put on my Lott if I decide to do the build.

Lott? Excellent. I have a new,26", in-the white, Star or Douglas barrel in .45-70, threaded for the P-14/17. All that stands between this and the Lott is the chambering reamer. Of course, I could easily put this on one of the P14 actions I have laying-around but there is a really sick part-of me that is looking-at threading-it into my BLR. I could also just thread-it into my mother's Siamese Mauser action, but that's been done to death. I already have a .338 BLR and can't fault-it and it's Leupold 1.5-5x Vari-xIII compact; but a fertile mind is a disease in itself. I have a notion that I may just be able to lay hands on another 7mm LA BLR with steel reciever I saw at the last gunshow for 575.00. Someone on E-bay would buy that 7mm barrel for what I paid for my .45 blank, so I just may do-it.

cmfic1
05-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Mattimoose. I am torn on what to do! I've had a LH MRC SS Action on my Bench for just about a year. Its there big "Ultra mag" bolt face & Magazine.
At 1st I was drooling over the prospect of a .358 Norma Mag. Then my next fixation was a .404 Jeffery. Now my latest is the .458 Lott.

Not sure which one yet, but it will likely be the 404 or the 458. I'm gonna send the Action to Mark Penrod & he'll do his magic on it. I'm gonna bed it in an Accurate Innovations Stock, likely have a 1/4 Rib w/NECG or Gentry bbl. band. & NECG Sights. Not sure of the bbl. maker yet. But it will have Williams bottom Metal.........Cant wait!

Mattimoose
05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I want one of those NECG peep sights for my Ruger No.1H in .405. My friend also needs one for his No.1 RSI in .30-06. I am contemplating the Lott because it will fit in my BLR Magazine with the 350 grainer. It is practical also because it still allows you to shoot the .458 Win mag. Boughten .458 with 510 softpoints would be a good close quarters cannon for bear with the 350 grainers for long shooting Moose. Both end-up around the same length I guess.

I really liked it when Ruger legitimized-it also in the 77. I don't know how happy you'd be with the .404, as it is always eclipsed by the 416 Rigby which is more practical because Federal makes ammo for-it. Maybe The 416 Remington would be a good choice. And when you get bored with-it, re-chamber to the Rigby since you got all that magazine.

You could also get a heavy barrel in .358 and when that's shot-out. you can have it rebored and re-rifled to the Lott How's that for a compromise. In the-end, I would pick the .338 RUM, burn-out that barrel, set-back one thread and re-bore and re-rifle to .375 RUM, shoot-that-out and then re-bore and re-rifle to .458 for your own.458 RUM. By this time you'll have a nice, handy light rifle that will hammer the living snot outta you, but you'll be so old by that time that you can hand-it down and your kids can put it in the corner and fear-it.

cmfic1
05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I already have two Rifles chambered in .416 Rem. Mag. My desire to own a .404 has nothing to do with wanting or needing it, and everything to do with "Nostalgia & Romance" if you will. Its what I would want to use on Cape Buffalo in 3 years.

In fact there isnt any Cartridge I really NEED!! I have a 7mm-08, .280 Rem., 7mmSTW, 30/06, .300 Win. Mag., .338 Win. Mag., .450 Marlin & the two .416's.

I'm just kind of a "Gun Nut", and really I've really had a hankerin' for the 3 I listed in my other post. Its getting worser by the day too!!:lol:

Mattimoose
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, my friend everett just got a Steyr in .50 BMG and a Schmidt und Bender scope to match! I need this gun too, but I have about 75 rounds of .50 that he says I can shoot out-of-it, I told him he could have the empties!(LC 92). He is already reloading for-it, and he asked me to make a shim for his scope base to give him a 1-degree forward cant so he can achieve a 600 yard zero! That is what I was doing yesterday. I handed the shim-off to him last-night after work and he almost skipped-out of the gunshop. You can buy the canted base from brownell's etc., but he didn't feel like waiting. My finger tips are so sore from the bench grinder! Producing a 3.5" long shim that's .122 at one end and .a61 is no small feat without a milling machine or surface grinder, but getting in good favour with him enough to shoot this BMG is well worth-it. I miss that sound!

I need to be refreshed on the .404's groove diameter. If I remember, I'll check my cartridge collection and see if I could make a 10mm or .40 Smith auxillary cartridge for-it. Who knows, the case is so fat,It might make a .410 like I did for that guy with the .416 Weatherby. I am also making one for my buddies .50 BMG to shoot either .500 Smith or .50 AE. I made 3 Aux. Cartridges on a custom basis for members of Detroit's .50cal. club. This was when the .50AE came-out from IMI with the .510 bullet...until the ATF declared-it a destructive device because it was over .500. Then they peeled-it back to .500. I amade the mistake of asking what they wanted this gigantic auxillary cartridge for and the guy mentioned"Neutralizing sentries" Nuff said, sorry I asked! Yeah I got Blueberry eyes where guns are considered. There is always another better patch or gun for that matter over the next hill.

cmfic1
05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry to be robbing a thread, but what Gunshop are you out of Mattimoose?

Mattimoose
05-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Sorry to be robbing a thread, but what Gunshop are you out of Mattimoose?

I do work for The Shooter's Den, Bouchard St. Sudbury Ont. I do gun repair in house there and go to about 8 gunshows a year with the owner Dennis Zaparanuik. I have a really good full-time job, but like to help Dennis out as much as possible as he means well and is a one man show. I am also a machinist, and a second-class Stationary Engineer, and work a 12-hour shift schedule. I do more complicated gunwork at home but have a personal limit of one other person's gun in my home at a time.

When my previous marriage breaking-up, I had a trmendous backlog of repairs, stemming from the basic fact I was too nice to turn people away. My wife would be tearing into me about bills and such, so I was going hellbent for leather into the repairs, then she would rip into me for not spending time with the kids! In the end, the real propblem was that she really needed to go back to work, but wouldn't and the rest is history.

I get the kids on my days-off so gunwork is limited to evenings or mornings of workdays or whenever the kids are in school. The most profitable sideline I persue is making auxillary cartridges on a semi-custom basis. At this I make almost as much as my regular job barring Nickel Bonus. The gunsmithing is really just a favour to Dennis as it never, ever pays from an hourly standpoint. The gunshow circuit is also just a vehicle to support my habits and augment my income from Auxilary cartridge sales. The last show, I sold 7 units, all in stainless to shoot .32ACP from .30-06 which is always the most popular.

In my travels, I have worked as an apprentice gunsmith at James D. Munroe Gunworks and Ontario Gun and Tackle/Kenogami Gunshop, casual, part-time Gunsmith at General Gun and Supply in Windsor Ont., and Bobby Chilton's Gun Repair in Moose Factory Ont. The bulk of my real apprenticeship was under the hand of my Father, George, whom I apprenticed under from the age of 11 on and who did gun repair to finance his own gun projects and on occasion to fund Hockey Equipment Etc. for a house of five boys. He still has his hand-in but doesn't do anything for other people really anymore. he also has chosen to leave the bulk of the intricate machining to me as My eyes are better and I have all the tools.

I recently sold him an extra Winchester model 95 action, to which I threaded a new Finnish M91/30 Mosin-Nagant barrel onto as the original washed-out barrel was in 7.62x54R as part of the Russian contract. This worked-out well, and I just cut the thread so he can finnish the rest of the work as well as chambering with my Clymer 7.62 Reamer. In the end it will be almost as nice as mine but probably a better shooter than even my, near-mint Winchester Barrel as the one I sold my dad is Marked Tikka but probably comes from SIG in Switzerland. It is designed to stabilize a 184 grain bullet whereas mine is supposed to spin th original 203 grain load. I suspect mine will be just as good a deer gun as my best friend's father's .30-03 Gov't M95 SRC that I grew-up shooting Herter's 220-grain RN's out-of.