PDA

View Full Version : Boots

Statler
07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi, been checking out your forum for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge. I enjoy the varied points of view on the numerous topics discussed and find the information entertaining and informative, which brings me to my question. Been curious as to what your preferences for boots were for general purpose hunting. In particular I am intrested in the type of soles, how noisy, quiet or traction/tread patterns that you may prefer. The reason I ask is that I have a set of Meindl boots and although I find the boot to be impressive in a wide variety of terrains I do find them noisy when walking on logging roads and am considering to have them resoled. Any suggestions?

Rob
07-28-2004, 10:24 AM
I bought a pair of Daffo boots last year with vibram soles, so far they have been great, they are fully weather proof/light and have aggressive traction. I was looking at a pair of Irishsetters but they werent as comf. & they cost about $120 more. Welcome to the site!

Statler
07-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome Dewy. Looking foward to some interesting discussions. Those vibram soles you speak of how quiet do you think they are, or have you noticed any appreciable noise when walking on loose sand and gravel. Been thinking that I need to change something soon as my hunting partner looks at me kinda weird from time to time when we are approaching our quarry from the road. Just don't wanna become a hood ornament any time soon! Or worse, tied to a tree with my unmentionables wrapped around my boots!

Rob
07-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Not to sure about loose sand, Ibought the boots during the season and what walking I did they seemed to be more than ok, they are light enough to wear all day & not notice them, good luck in your search.

bcboy
07-28-2004, 11:33 AM
for queit and walking down logging rds. i wear my high top sneakers. Wow! miendels hey so ya like quality. I suggest you look up Shnees boots and consider the crepe sole . quieter but you loose the durability and the harder hikin ability, I really like thier modified air bob sole. Anyways if ya wanna spend $150 or more for a pair of quiet take a look, they make sorrels look and feel like crap. my .02

Steeleco
07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
I hunt in a pair of Red wing, Iriish Setters. Fit like slippers, they have a red wing version of the Vibrim sole, as the pattent ran out on Vibrim soles and as such the boots are now under $200 as opposed to around $350 a couple of years ago. As far a quite I have to say ther're pretty good, the rocks underfoot make more noise than the boots.

Welcome, you'll like it here!!!!!!!!!!

3kills
07-28-2004, 04:24 PM
i alwasy just wear my shoes or a cheap pair of hiking boots from the local sanns store...i want a good pair of hunting boots but i m to rough on shoes and boots and its hard to find comfortalbe ones that i like....welcome to hbc...

cmac
07-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I use a pair of nike hiking boots, bought them 4 or 5 years ago, they are goretex reasonably high on the ankle, completely waterproof and absolutely the best pair of boots I have ever owned, I can wear them all day and my feet never feel sore , they are also really light and my legs don't feel like lead at the end of the day. I had to specially order them through a sports store, and I am not sure if they are still available but if you can get a pair they are well worth it.

Statler
07-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the info. Will have to check out the Vibram soles, they may be just the thing i am looking for. The other boots you discussed seeemed intresting too. Maybe a second pair to meet the conditions I encounter in the early dry part of the season may be a better solution then playing around with the ones I have. Something to think about. Thanks again for the suggestions.

BCKID
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
steeleco [quote="steeleco"]I hunt in a pair of Red wing, Irish Setters.

I went looking for boots the other day and the Irish setters I found had the molded soles. Has anyone had any good/bad experience with these, [molded soles] I'm a bit Leary about them as I hunt in some tough terrain at times. Thanks BCKID

Rufus
07-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I usually wear my work boots, because they are most comfy. For the hard hiking they stand up better, as for quietness they could be better, i'm not to heavey so the helps. I just bougt a pair of Hi Tech WP hikers for hunting, Will see how they stand up to the test. Welcome to the site.

Thunderstix
07-31-2004, 10:17 AM
I wear Danner Trophy's as my main boot and have Danner Ft. Lewis' as my back up. I actually had Danner resole the Lewis' with the Danner-Bob to match my Trophy's. Love them both.

BCKID
07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Well I went over to Red Wing Shoe Store just to have a look and they had a sale on. So I bought a pair of Irish Setter, Tioga, all leather, gortex, thinsulate boots. Just what I was looking for. They were $289.00 -$70.00 Off. They have boots there for $159.00 I think. But limited sizes. Can't wait to get some mud, blood & beer on them. BCKID

Kirby
08-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Viberg boots, with Vibram soles, will cost you alot, but they will out last any other pair of boots by a large margine. I own three pairs, two for work, and one for hunting, my work boots are Viberg steel toes, which I have used for 5 years, full time in the bush, logging, fire fighting, etc, ash from forest fires distroyes boots, and I have never had a problem, I will spend 24 hours straight in these boots, and they still feel comfortable. I use to destroy 2-3 sets of 200 dollar boots a year, now one pair for 5 years. If you can deal with the price tag(around 450), you'll never worry again.

Kirby

bone-collector
08-30-2004, 02:49 PM
welcome aboard Statler.

I have tried a few different brands of boots over the years but Rocky seams to preform alot better IMHO , the bearclaws have been a favorite for a few seasons now

http://www.rockyboots.com/images/soles/bearclaw3d.jpg
http://www.rockyboots.com/images/250/9211.jpg

they will burn $200 at most places Ive looked , but ZERO break in time and no blisters I found :D

stoneramhunter
01-12-2021, 01:02 PM
I think what your hunting can also dictate what you wear. For sheep and goat where your in steep terrain and travelling to get there you want a good mountaineering boot stiff sole and as comfortable as you can get:) for those hunts I use la sportiva evo. I also have scarpa hiking boots and Mendel. But the evos are by far the best for me.

stoneramhunter
01-12-2021, 01:07 PM
my son bought a set of rocky boots he wore them for our sheep hunt. They did not stand up at all . by day 13 they were cut up ,rips , and looked like they were 4 or 5 seasons old .sheep hunting is another level but still I would not recommend for serious backcountry hunting.

digger dogger
01-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Is that you Kyle Klassen?
;-)

Keta1969
01-12-2021, 02:23 PM
I've always worn either Meindls or kenetreks for the past 15 years or so and prefer the Meindl. I haven't found one any noisier than another. I find its pretty easy to be quite if you slow down and pay attention to where your foot is going to land and how much of a hurry you are to put it down. I consider myself a quite walker. Have been with guys that pay no mind and it drives me crazy. Pretty well only hunt alone most of the time now.