PDA

View Full Version : Canned hunts

Rod
11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
I found this link on Bowzone.ca and thought I would pass on the info here in case anyone is considering a "trophy" hunt in MB.

http://www.donahue.tv/hobbies.htm

MB_Boy
11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
This genetleman had posted up his story on a number of sites well over a year ago and I put him in contact with my father who is very high up with the DNR in MB.

This outfit itself has had numerous complaints and I'll get an update as soon my Dad is back in Winnipeg about this operation.

ryanb
11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I don't understand what he's so upset about. Seems to me you'd have to be quite a dunce to not realize this was a canned hunt before booking it. Manitoba has no wild bison, so what was he expecting?

MB_Boy
11-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Ryan........I think a huge part of his problem was how it was sold to him sight unseen and then his disappointment upon seeing the conditions.

"I knew people that had previously booked what they thought were bison hunts only to be taken out to a pasture to shoot the bison while they grazed. Now Keith claims that all of his hunts are done under “fair chase” conditions, which offered some comfort, but I only know Keith as a television personality. I wanted to confirm the hunting conditions so I called Bear Valley Outfitters directly and asked that direct question. The woman on the telephone confirmed everything that Keith had said. They had 100,000 acres of private land that we would be hunting free ranging wild game under fair chase conditions. I was sold! I authorized my credit card for the deposit and then started calling friends to see if any of my friends wanted to go with me."

Believe me I agree about the bison especially. There are a few herds throughout MB but none of which are huntable and I believe they are all introduced populations, but don't quote me on that.:wink:

brotherjack
11-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't understand what he's so upset about. Seems to me you'd have to be quite a dunce to not realize this was a canned hunt before booking it. Manitoba has no wild bison, so what was he expecting?

A free ranging bison (or any other critter) in the middle of 100,000 acres (which is what he was told he was getting) is a whole other world from a farmed bison (or other critter) in a small pen on the corner of that same 100,000 acres. The former is a guided hunt for a wild animal on private land, the latter is shooting a farm animal/pet in the pasture.

I can see the guy being pretty ticked.

tangozulu
11-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Lets face it, most Americans have a poor knowledge of Canadas geography and natve species. This said I feel the man was duped and anyone leaving the country with a bad taste in his mouth hurts us all.
My personal opinion is these hunt farms will be the death of hunting, and should be illegal. They hurt all real hunters and the grand hunting tradition.

huntwriter
11-11-2006, 05:55 AM
The only question I have is. If he didn't like what he saw upon arrival at the camp why did he not demand a refund turned on his heels and walked away?
This guy stayed there despite been obviously sold something he didn’t want and hunted there despite the objectionable conditions.

As a customer all he had to do is to demand a refund and leave, but he did not do that. I do not feel sorry for him. It’s his fault that he had to go home feeling cheated and disappointed.

I am not sticking up for the canned hunt outfit. Just mentioning the obvious. For as long as there are hunters with lots of cash to spend and want to hunt the easy way with a minimal effort then such operations will be in busyness and attract clients from here and south of the border. Every time some outfitters guarantees 100% kill success commonsense tells me that it is 100% likely a canned hunt.

dirtyharry
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I have checked out several guides sites over the years. Don't have the money but just curoius. Several have listed tips on how to find a good guide and not get burned. This guy would have done well to read them. He could have asked for references. He could have contacted the provincial guide association to see if the place was a legitimate outfitter or a farm. Also when he showed up he should have refused to pay the balance until he was fully satisfied that it was a real hunt.
That is just a few things I would have done

Rob