PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits?

Kirby
07-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Anybody else on here hunt rabbits? season opens on Aug 1st around here, and already planning the day out chasing them. Just curious.

Kirby

puppychow
07-26-2004, 05:52 PM
I grew up in Kamloops and I use to hunt rabbits in the Kamloops Lake area. The closest that I remember being is about 10 miles past Tranquille Institution for the Mentaally handicapped. I have not hunted in that area for more than 25 years. I hope there are still areas that contain small game. Also, I hunted in the Barriere area, but since the fires last year, there may be limited access. Puppy.

BCKID
07-26-2004, 09:59 PM
We have shot the odd rabbit while Deer hunting to keep the grouse company in the stew pot but I found them to be strong in taste. Are they are better early in the year? BCKID

Foxer
07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Actually, i've been very very interested in doing it, but haven't been too lucky so far. Stupid rabbits.

3kills
07-27-2004, 03:27 AM
i seen one rabbit last year out hunting and i took a shot at it but i missed wich is probably a good thing cuz i dont have a clue how to clean them...

Kirby
07-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I prefer early season rabbits, find that they taste more like bark later in the year. I usually hunt an area between Kamloops and Merrit, with alot of hunting on Greenstone mountain, best i ever did was 5, and saw 50+. As to cleaning, pretty easy, take out the guts, and cut off the head, skind it, and put it in a shopping bag. not like a deer, or moose where you have to worry about cutting the wrong part.

Kirby

3kills
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
how do u cut the guts out though...i heard there is some skill to it???

Kirby
07-27-2004, 06:09 PM
like a fish, thats the simpliest way to explain it. Cut up from the back legs, to rib cage, and pull out the guts. Do it once or twice, and you get alot cleaner, and faster at it, and figure out your own way to do it.

Kirby

Marc
07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
I like hang them by the head to pull the fur off first. Then I make a cut at the bottom of the ribcage and poke my fingers in and hold back the stomach and intestines from getting cut. It makes a hell of a mess if you tear the stomach or the intestines. it's like saw dust all over the meat and it's a pain to try and get it off once you've done it.

Oh yah watch out for the bladder too. If you spill any urin on the rabbit it's going to mess up the meat.

Marc.

3kills
07-27-2004, 06:39 PM
i read or heard something soem where about cutting along the feet and then bunchin the fur up and slicing it off the back and then its skiinned and then all u have to do is cut the stomach open...i will try to find what i read and post it here later...

YukonJack
10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Me and Statler "have at" the rampant little bastids in the off-season. We have a cluster of Eastern Cottontails here on the Island that are scheduled.
There's no closed season on them, and no bag limit.
If I don't keep the fur, we'll just grasp the hide at the back of the neck, holding the bunny's head with the off hand. A sharp tug and the fur rips. Just continue pulling...it all comes off like a t-shirt.
One slice up the belly, from cinch bone to throat, a quick spin, and the innards fly off into the rhubarb. Be careful if it's the first time you try the spin method...you might end up with offal all over you..and that'd be awful...
Nip off feet and head, and we're ready for the pot.
Now them Jackrabbits...they'd be a might bigger...I don't think this would work for them. Do you guys eat Jackrabbits?

N-W-Redneck
10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Here's the neatest way of gutting a rabbit ever! I showed this to my father-in-law who's been hunting and trapping for 35 years and he'd never seen it!

Hold the bunny head towards you with your hands squeezing under it's armpits as high up the chest as you can get. Squeeze tightly (as if you were choking a tree hugger! lol) and work your hands down the body until they slip over the bottom of the ribcage. (Don't let the pressure off as you come off the ribs.)

Now comes the fun part!

Stand with your feet slightly apart and bend slightly at the knees. Bring the bunny up over your head, and swing down sharply, striking your forearms just above your knees. 99% of the guts will come flying out it's a$$ and hit the ground!

I origially heard about this from a friend who read it in a 1930's or 40's Farmers Almanac. He read it and didn't believe it so he gave it a try. He told me and I didn't believe it 'till I tried it! Hot damn if'n it didn't work! Give it a whack!

Marc
10-14-2004, 07:50 PM
LMAO :) Just don't let any old ladies see you while you're doing this. :)

3kills
10-15-2004, 01:12 AM
now thats interesting and funny....

YukonJack
10-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Now THAT, N-W-R, sounds like a neat trick! I'm lookin' forward to the off-season just to try this out....
Is the point of squeezing the bugger to pulpify his innards? Just wondering, 'cause I'd be squeezing a tree hugger's neck pretty hard....

N-W-Redneck
10-15-2004, 07:17 AM
You're not 'pulping' the innards, just squishing them all down to one end and putting them under pressure!

And make sure no one you like is standing in front of you! Once I guess I squeezed a little too hard, and on the down-swing the guts flew out before my arms hit my thighs and went splat all over the F-I-L's truck! lol!

3kills
10-15-2004, 09:16 AM
i would say becareful bring ur hand over ur head cuz if u are squeeezing to hard i can see a mess happening on urself....