PDA

View Full Version : new binocs?

Hagen
10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
well, i havent had a very successful season, not even a dozen grouse, and no big game to speak of, at least i'm out in the woods though. I'm looking for a new pair of binocs as all i have is a very cheap pair of hand me down bushnell's, glassing with them isnt much better than the naked eye, beyond a few hundred yards...."might be a buck or might be a doe....?" cant do much with that. So i am loooking for a cheap , but decent pair of binocs, bushnell most likely....... opinions on the instafocus, or permafocus, coatings, in a 20 x 50 or ?....under a hundred bucks is the price range

Bow Walker
10-30-2006, 02:21 PM
binocularscanada.com (http://www.binocularscanada.com)

Give them a try. Fast shipping, reasonable prices, and quality items. All the way from "inexpensive" to "holy sh!t"

todbartell
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
under $100, you wont find anything that great

save up and buy a $400 pair of binos

Steeleco
10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
under $100, you wont find anything that great

save up and buy a $400 pair of binos

Agreed 100% do without for the rest of this season and get ready for next year. I just bought Nikon Monarch's for just a little less than $400 from Binoculars Canada and am very happy.

Hagen
10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
thanks for the imput guys, unfortunatley until the boss decides to give me that big fat raise i deserve :wink: 400 dollar binocs just arent going to enter the picture....when using most binoculares in the past i find i have a hell of a time focusing with both eyes, the only pair i've used without closing my left eye (why not get a spotting scope or monocular instead?)is a pair of the bushnell instafocus...is this something i will only be able to correct with a pair with diopter control ? I did just have my eyes checked in the last couple of months ......so ? any input is most welcome

Thanks

todbartell
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Steeleco, I use Monarch 10x40s, this is my 2nd fall using them, they're pretty darn good. The Leupold Cascades, Pinnacles, Olympics, are all good binoculars too. I think my next pair is Bushnell Elite 10x43s, retail is around $1200.

brotherjack
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
The absolute lowest I would go is a set of Bushnell Legend porro prisim model. I own a set of these in 8x42, and they are very nice for the price. They're not exactly top of the line bino's mind you, but for $95 USD mail order, they easily kick the snot out of anything else I've looked through in that price range. Reasonably clear, rainguard lenses, waterproof, comfy in the hand, etc.

Side note - yes, the diopter should be able to correct for one eye being weaker than the other. If it can't, then you're due for glasses. The above mentioned bino's not only have a reasonable diopter - they work very nicely for a glasses wearer like me, BTW. I just don't roll the eyecups out, and hold them in front of my glasses - works great (when my glasses don't fog up).

The insta/perma-focus rigs will give you a splitting headache if you try to look through it for any significant period of time. They're ok for a quick "hey, how many points are on that antler", but they're terrible for use as a general piece of glass (IMHO).

Bow Walker
10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I bought a pair of Bushnell's Power View binos from BinocsCanada in the 10x42 power. They were just at the $100.00 mark and they are great for me. Hope they do as well for you.

Caveman
10-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I got a pair of Monarchs as well, the best $500 (tax included) spent in awhile. I've been through the $75, $100 & even $200 ones and these are definatelythe best I've had with a 25 year warranty.

chinooker
10-30-2006, 06:41 PM
I have a pair of bushnell H20 10x40 seem to be pretty good for 135 dollars.:smile:

mike
10-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Been looking in that price range myself, I have been reading reviews on the celestron outland binos, although I have not bought them yet, they seem not a bad option in this price range.

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
How many sets of $500 binos are you guys gonna buy before you realize you could have bought ONE set of Leicas or Swaros?

I went through the same routine myself until I bought my Leicas...they will last my lifetime.

GMJH, watch second hand stores, garage sales, and classifieds, sometimes there are deals on good used binos. For under $100, you won't be getting much new.

Hagen
11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
thanks for the info guys, gonna look in the bushnell power views, and keep my eye out for something nicer in the used category, might luck out

Bow Walker
11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
binocularscanada.com (http://www.binocularscanada.com)

Give them a try. Fast shipping, reasonable prices, and quality items. All the way from "inexpensive" to "holy sh!t"
As I said, these are selling for $87.50 cdn right now. Can't beat 'em for the price.

Steeleco
11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I was just at London Drugs, Langley yesterday, they have a quite a line of bino's in around $100. I'm spoiled now with my Nikons, but they looked reasonable and are still better than not having a pair.

Jagermeister
11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I received a set of Nikon Monarch 10X42 for a retirement gift. The disconcerting thing about them is they are stamped "Made in China". Even the Japanese are outsourcing to China. The quality seems to be there but I'm having trouble accepting the fact that they were made in China. Sort of deminishes my faith in Nikon.
Something like 50 years ago when a person encountered "Made in Japan" items. The Japanese knew it too, they named one of their manufacturing centres to Usa, just so they could legally stamp their goods, "Made in USA". If it wasn't for Sears, they would be still doing it.

greenbike1
11-03-2006, 02:15 PM
pawn shops and ebay are good places to look.

pork n beans
11-03-2006, 03:21 PM
i use a pair of nikon 8X40 monarch. They're ok. i had to take them to the nikon place to get warranty fix up cuz they went haywire. I don't really think they're up to hunting conditions. mostly for dickiebirders i think. I have used zeiss 8X30 and they're better than 10X50 nikon. The key is picture clarity and brightness. My wife has a cheap pair of bushnells and they suck.

When you're hunting and you see a deer against some bushes and it is getting a bit dark the cheap binos just don't cut it. I would say save up and get a good pair of european glass. crappy bins piss you off cuz they suck to use.

Steeleco
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I received a set of Nikon Monarch 10X42 for a retirement gift. The disconcerting thing about them is they are stamped "Made in China". Even the Japanese are outsourcing to China. The quality seems to be there but I'm having trouble accepting the fact that they were made in China. Sort of deminishes my faith in Nikon.
Something like 50 years ago when a person encountered "Made in Japan" items. The Japanese knew it too, they named one of their manufacturing centres to Usa, just so they could legally stamp their goods, "Made in USA". If it wasn't for Sears, they would be still doing it.
Spend some time looking through them, you won't care where they are made. That and the 25 year warranty, I won't need another pair at least till I retire!! Cool gift BTW.

Mik
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Don't go cheap! I have the Pentax 8x42DCF,(getting repaired at the moment), great binocs, however i'm ready for an upgrade. I have been looking at the Leica Geovids 10x42 BRF. Does anyone out there own a pair and if so, how do they compare to the Swarovski binocs?
Mik

Onesock
11-06-2006, 07:54 AM
My son just bought a pair of Cabelas Euro bino's. They are made by swaro at half the cost. Good glass.

Will
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
thanks for the info guys, gonna look in the bushnell power views, and keep my eye out for something nicer in the used category, might luck out
In your "price range" stick with a Set of Porro prisms.
They are Much better Glass then ANY of the Comparable Roof Prisms;)

Frango
11-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I use a Bausch and lomb 8x42.Very bright and clear in early or late light.They are a little heavy so I bought a strap that goes around your chest and over your neck.No bounch on the quad or when bush whacking.Great invention.I ran into a hunter on our elk hunting trip this year who had a gyro set very cool but big price.We got our 6x6 elk after 3 days of having him in shot distance but could not get a horn count.The gyro model would have been handy.None the less he is in the freezer.

FLHTCUI
11-10-2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/binoculars.html
The page covers all of the good advice that has been covered, but goes a tab deep on the reasons for various prisim designs.
hope it can add some to your choice in bibos.
Rob

moose
11-29-2006, 08:46 PM
If you are willing to get some used ones and live close to a city maybe put an ad in the paper, or in the buy and sell. You may be suprised on what kind of response you get, try the buy and sell, I thikn that it is free to place adds in it.