PDA

View Full Version : The Monday after..

Ian F.
10-30-2006, 12:46 PM
So my first attempt at snows saw me firing one volley at some passing birds with only the middle feather extended in response. I did see litterlay 10’s of thousands of snows, and even spooked a bunch up going in, but I was simply in the wrong spot and truthfully haven’t firgured out how to hunt them yet. Saturday started with a low tide and I set where I thought would be o.k., but also safe as I’m at the mouth of the fraser and not too familiar with it yet. So I felt like I was back east on the fundy shore (40ft tides) chasing eiders as I was moving the dekes and me as much as hunting, did get a work out though!

My goal was snows and pintails, and well I brough home neither, but the widgeon where flying well and I ended up with 7 and a shovelor, and of course when I was picking up 4 sprig buzzed me and later one landed in the dekes! (Insert profanity here). Of the 7 widgeon I did manage a beautiful triple that I won’t soon forget, and my first ever triple on widgeon. Back east Ii’d shoot 2 or 3 a year, and never a limit of them. So I was all packed up and heading in when my motor started loosing power and eventually died! (Insert even more profanity here). Tried to start it, and the cord wouldn’t pull (Insert even more profanity here) so I started poling and an hour and a half later and 3 km’s and I was back at the boat launch! Oh, an if the guy in the whaler is reading this, thanks for ignoring my signal for assisstance!

Now the pole back was cool in a weird way, I put up birds all the way back and a good number of pintails, of course it was after I was counted out! But hope is not gone, I will be back! I don’t give up without a fight!

Sunday was a freshwater day off to the marsh with my buddy Dan. I do think I may have brought the motor curse along as his Honda was acting up (never heard of a Honda acting up, so it musta been me and the curse!) windy, windy start, had issues picking the spot, but the one we did end up with was a very good choice! I decided to bring out my new toy for it’s first hunt, a CIL 20ga SxS, which is basically a Savage 310 version of the basic fox box lock. It was my christmas gift to myself. I cheaped out a little on shells and went with 7/8oz of 4’s going 1300 fps, when I’m in the states in a couple of weeks I’ll pick some better ones up. So I new it would be close shots, but that was cool. So the birds start flying and they are decoying like hungry chickens to corn! I said to Dan later, “don’t know why I brough my chair as I don’t think I ever sat down!”… We had birds in our faces and within 40 mins counted out on our 8 mallards a piece, I was even able to double with the 20, how sweet is that for it’s ignagral hunt? We finished early and had breakfast at a restaurant by 9!

I did solve the motor problem too, bought a new (used) one! I’m sure the coils are gone on my other one, and time to move one, after all it’s a 1984 Johnson! Hopefully I can sell it for parts. After the new (used) 86ish Johnson, goes through sea trials I’ll get a paint job.

Next weekend? Maybe try for snows again, and return to the marsh and try for all drakes this time!

Your intrepede canuck reporting..

Very best,

Ian

dave
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Sounds like a great weekend, a little struggle just seems to come with waterfowling. Just like the Old Duck Hunters Association.

I meant to tell Dano that we took the other channel on the way out on Sunday and there were no fewer than 7 beaver dams along the way. Lots of cursing and dragging. By the end I had to admit there still isn't enough water to use it.

Dave

Dano
11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Ian, I had the Honda checked out and it was carberation (said the settings were way out...). They kept it overnight and fired it up in the morning and I'm told it started first pull. Should be fine this weekend.
Dave, was the usual route good after the first bever dam (before the drain) up to the left channel dam? Looked to be a lot more water there on the way past sunday morning. I'm heading out saturday with my buddy Tom and old Dan. Should be good, my friend and his nephew went out sunday night and limited out on mallards in an hour and a half.... then got lost in the dark heading in! I guess they'll remember a flashlight next time!
Hope you guys get out, good luck!
Dano

dave
11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey Dano, once you get past the first beaver dam I only remember one more between the drain and the left channel. That being said it is pretty weedy and shallow for the first 100 meters or so. Either way, the first section from the road to the first dam is not really passable. I wouldn't recommend it until there is more water. The rain this week might help.

Ian F.
11-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Good news, I know motor troubles! I think stuck in pitt would be worse the ladner!

I'll be trying Ladner again saturday, Pitt sunday with the sneakbox. Want to give the new motor a workout.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. new batch of jerky is some tastey!