PDA

View Full Version : Jim Shockey's dvd's.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if you guys have watched any of Jim Shockey's videos ,and what do you think?I have bought quite a few of them at our local Walmart on sale and I really enjoy them.Jim's down to earth attitude and passion for hunting really show in his movies.I just bought a new one today for 9 dollars called Monster Mulies and I will watch it tonight.Dana recommended so mule deer videos to me but I havent been able to get them yet.What are some hunting videos you have enjoyed?Thanks:-D

DropTines
10-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I have only

Marc
10-28-2006, 06:04 PM
If you want to see what MattB looks like check out his Jim shockey's Yukon moose hunting video called Monster giants II or something like that. He looks camera shy :D

Marc.

MattB
10-28-2006, 06:33 PM
LMAO! Yea, i more of a hunter and less of an actor, ya know?

brotherjack
10-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Ya, Shockey's are usually pretty good. Most anything that says Primos on the lable is very well done. Recently saw one of Jack Brittingham's, and it was very professionally done as well.

For good mulie footage - Bears Ears productions did a mulie video called "Bucks Unlimited" that had some of the most awesome mulie footage I've ever seen in it. The camera operaters seemed to have a bit of a challenge getting kill-shot's on video and the headbanger soundtrack wasn't my cup of tea, but the plethoria (that means large quantity) of high grade mulie footage more than made up for the rest, I thought.

Gateholio
10-28-2006, 07:45 PM

Hmm...I know.:lol:

Some guys with hunting shows appear to be more actors than hunters.:mrgreen:

brotherjack
10-28-2006, 07:47 PM
And some people just act like hunters ..... (sorry, couldn't resist)....

Marc
10-29-2006, 05:55 AM

Hey Matt, I think you were more excited then the hunter:biggrin:

"What a Hog!"

steel_ram
10-29-2006, 05:35 PM
"Don't start filming until I put my hat and kerchief on."

I like the Saskatchewan whitetail vid. where he dresses up as the marshmellow man.

Schmaus
10-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a couple of Shockey's vids Primos and Jack Brittingham, but the ones I like the best are with Bart Lancaster and Hunting the Canadian Wilderness, I have like five of them and they are awesome very down to earth and normal. They kind of remind me of hunting with my friends other than they always seem to shoot hogs of anything they are hunting.

Husky7mm
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Primos is very american, very southern yall. I dont tree stand hunt over bologic. I cant relate.
All films buy gordon eastman are great. Jim shockey's adventures leave me smiling. All Bart Lancaster and guides eye videos are great.Most mossback videos are good. I also really like Hunting the mule deer rut buy eastmans hunting journal.

MattB
10-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Marc,
Thats my reaction even when i am the hunter! Sometimes the excitement can be pretty overwhelming!8)

Rob
10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey MattB is that the Yukon Moose video? were you guiding? We have a bunch of Shockey videos him and Cody Robbins are pretty good.

Marc
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
It's called the Land of Giants II, He's in the first hunt :D I thought it was him but I wasn't sure untill they mentioned his name.

Marc.

we3grants
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I enjoy Shockeys video's. At least he's out in the wild one on one and not hunting game farms/ranches like some over rated American ones. I would be interested in finding out about the Bart Lancaster ones. I would like to see him tackle some Blaktails on the island though, with shotgun to keep him challaged.

JMac
10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Too bad Shockey can't get a toad mule deer or black-tail in B.C.. Wonder why? Guess Matt or Steve will have to hook him up! Took Dana's recommendation a while back and ordered all of the Muley Crazy video series............................................ .............can you say "Bug-Eyed"!

meat hunter
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Which stores sell these dvds, besides walmart.

MattB
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I've invited Jim out hunting before. Seems he likes the easier hunting in Sask. or Mexico. I got into many an argument with him over which is the better species to hunt....whiteys or muleys.

Dewey,

Yes i was guiding up there. Cody does do a good job with the filming and dropping huge muleys!

TravisC
11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Shockey's (Land Of The Giants) is a pretty awesome moose vid. he's one crazy dude to get that close to such a massive animal. ....What is the muley series vids you speak of JMac? Would sure love to get some sweet muley vids sooo sick of the usual bow hunting whitey vids.

MattB
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Cody put together some of their (his) best muley footage and made a DVD for Stoney Wolf called Monster Mulies. Its pretty good, with some nice deer taken on it!

30-06
11-29-2006, 07:06 PM
i like the jim shockey,,land of the giants 2 moose dvd.filmed in B.C. to

JMac
11-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Travis C the series is called Muley Crazy. www.muleycrazy.com (http://www.muleycrazy.com)
ph# 435 - 644 -2486. The newer stuff is better quality but the old vids have big bucks by the dozens also. Enjoy

WoodOx
11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Dana is muley crazy!

http://www.muleycrazy.com/html/SteveDanaShed.htm

I thought id see mass n trash in that sheds sections lol

WoodOx
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Is it the eastmans films that also documents back in like the 40's or 50's in Northern BC (yukon maybe) where the hunter/actor/filmer (sp) builds his own cabin and takes Dalls at like 300 yards on open iron sights?

Saw the film once on TV - was amazing.

BCrams
11-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Agacher -

You're referring to "One Man's Wilderness"

Richard (Dick) Proenneke left the rush of city life behind and headed into the Alaska wilderness. His dream was to build a log cabin at Upper Twin Lakes, live off the land and truly test his self-reliance.

This is what you saw on TV - I also watched it and read his book a few years ago.

The National Park Service produced a film titled One Man's Alaska and a videotape, The Frozen North is also available. All feature the life of Richard (Dick) Proenneke.

If you want to see some of Eastman's film. Get a copy of "High, Wild and Free" -- filmed right here in BC. Its an older video but I think most will agree its pretty good.

youngfellla
11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I enjoy the Jim Shockey videos. Some great footage & some good humour. Bart Lancaster's movies are pretty good as well.

Some of the Mark Sullivan videos from Africa are great to watch as far as shock value. The guy is a goof and completely full of himself, but those Cape Buffalo/Hippo charges are pretty intense!

Gateholio
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Agacher -

Richard (Dick) Proenneke left the rush of city life behind and headed into the Alaska wilderness. His dream was to build a log cabin at Upper Twin Lakes, live off the land and truly test his self-reliance.

This is what you saw on TV - I also watched it and read his book a few years ago.

The National Park Service produced a film titled One Man's Alaska and a videotape, The Frozen North is also available. All feature the life of Richard (Dick) Proenneke.

If you want to see some of Eastman's film. Get a copy of "High, Wild and Free" -- filmed right here in BC. Its an older video but I think most will agree its pretty good.

Fantastic movie and book!

Nails
11-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Check out his monster bruins video, filmed entierly on the island. awsome vid to get ya ready for the spring. Shockey also has a great hunting show on the outdoor channel.

bsa30-06
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
" one mans wilderness" have to agree with gatehouse if you get the chance to see the movie or read the book do it you won't be dissapointed.

bsa30-06
11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Check out his monster bruins video, filmed entierly on the island. awsome vid to get ya ready for the spring. Shockey also has a great hunting show on the outdoor channel.

I have this video and it is very good, some real big bears.

magicarrowman
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I've got a few Shockey videos,Primos ones too. They're all pretty good. I watch them again and again.The thing I like about Shockey's videos, are that they film the missed shots too. Goes to show that they make mistakes too! I can only watch two videos in a row, before I'm too pumped up to go out hunting!(or the ol' lady has had enough of me whining about needing to go shoot whichever animal!!)

GoatGuy
12-01-2006, 05:34 PM

And it'll take you back in time - Same paint job on the Beaver in Dease back then as it is today. Only a bit of wear and tear! :lol:

Jack Boudreau also wrote a book entitled the same. A good read - lots of humour!

WoodOx
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
BUT where can I find these - I would really like to purchase these, as well as some assorted hunting books, but am having trouble finding a retailer offering them.

Amazon.com has a few, but theyre all used, which I guess would be fine except last time I ordered a used book it never came.

Anyone know any retailers with these vids/books?

Thanks

Agacher -

The Hermit
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I've invited Jim out hunting before. Seems he likes the easier hunting in Sask. or Mexico. I got into many an argument with him over which is the better species to hunt....whiteys or muleys.

Dewey,

Yes i was guiding up there. Cody does do a good job with the filming and dropping huge muleys!

It might have something to do with the preference of his clients. I'd venture a guess that most American hunters don't really get the Mulie thing...

I bought a couple of his videos last night and watched them today, Giant Black Bears of Vancouver Island and Giant Whitetails #2. Good movies but one thing he says in the introduction to Giant Whities is misleading enough to be considered an outright lie unless he actually owns the land. To paraphrase... " I have 800 sq miles in my territory and no one else can hunt here". I don't like that attitude...

GoatGuy
12-08-2006, 05:54 PM
BUT where can I find these - I would really like to purchase these, as well as some assorted hunting books, but am having trouble finding a retailer offering them.

Amazon.com has a few, but theyre all used, which I guess would be fine except last time I ordered a used book it never came.

Anyone know any retailers with these vids/books?

Thanks

Mosaics downtown has most of them. Chapters also sometimes has them.

As far as vid's go hunting stores and even Wal-Mart. I can probably track down some of the Lancaster vid's for you too if you want.

WoodOx
12-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks GG ill head to Masaics and take a peek.

DO they have much Jack OConnor?

-Andrew

bsa30-06
12-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Wal-Mart here on the lower mainland has had a couple of the jim shockey dvd's on the shelf lately.

Tanya
05-19-2007, 07:39 AM
I know you can order all Jim Shockey's DVDs off his website, except the co productions with Stoney Wolf like Cave Bears, Lands of the Giants and Monster Mule Deer, those are available at WalMarts here and there. Lately they have not made too many new Hunting Adventure DVDs as they are too busy producing 26 shows a year for the Outdoor Channel in the US so they have made DVDs of the television shows instead. His site is www.jimshockey.com (http://www.jimshockey.com)

As far as other DVDs I know there is quite a selection available through places like Wholesales Sports in Calgary and Saskatoon and also Cabelas. I agree that the Lancaster boys have some good hunts on their's as do the Eastmans.