PDA

View Full Version : Chinese ATV's?

moosehunter
10-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Im seeing these imports from China at a very attractive price here in Prince George. Chinese Yamahas, 400cc, 2 and 4 wheel drive, decent looking machines for $6300.00 and I hear there available in Vancouver for a grand less.
Does anyone know anything more about these things? Hunk of junk? As good as most? Whats the scoop?

mark
10-27-2006, 08:53 PM
From what i hear, theyre junk!

Hilgy
10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I have seen and riden a couple different ones. I think that they would make a great unit to have as a second bike for the wife or kids to ride in the summer on trails and such but as far as a hunting rig I dont think they would stand up.

Just my opinion.

Hilgy

Gateholio
10-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Are you taking about the ones they are seing at CDN Tire these days? They ook pretty junky.

Frankly, If I am going ot spend $6000 on an ATV, I would feel better abotu spending another $4000 to get a quality product, rather than be unsatisfid with my $6000 purchase.

Same with optics and gear.:lol:

steel_ram
10-27-2006, 10:13 PM
What's wong with them?

moosehunter
10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Not the ones in Canadian Tire but in a couple shops in PG. Not bad looking machines but Im no expert for sure. I think Hubert Farm Equipment in Mud River is carrying them and a shop on 1st. Ave. I'll get the exact brand name and post it tomorrow.

mrdoog
10-27-2006, 11:18 PM
I've read that some of the rights to the Honda products from the 70s/80s, such as the 50, 70 and 90 cc motorcycle products were acquired by Chinese firms.
From what I've read these motorcycles are near matches to the originals in regards to quality.
I owned a Honda 90 back in the 70s, ( wish I kept it ). I haven't seen any of the bikes in Canada. I would like to see a "new" Honda 90 to see if it's the same as the one I sold years ago.
I'd be suspect who the Chinese manufacturer is copying in regards to an ATV.
Lots of engines for small motor products are coming in from China, IE. pocket rocket and small chopper motorcycles, these things are throw away toys.
Try to find out who made the product and do some research on the internet.

overthetop
10-27-2006, 11:35 PM
I know a couple of guys with them. If you know any old timers, they will tell you the same thing happened when Japan started bringing cars over, people were leery. I heard they are OK. They are a little cheaper, so not as nicely finished, not as many options, but I'll be buying one for my wife next year. I think 6300 is high, someone from Kelowna look here and let us know.

cwocarsten
10-27-2006, 11:55 PM
A friend bought 2 400cc ones in Kelowna. He said that if he needs any parts he gets them at the honda dealership. There is also a 650 coming out. Apparrantly they are equivalent to the hondas from 2 yrs prior.

ryanb
10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
I paid only $6200 last year for a brand new 2005 Yamaha bruin 4x4, including the warn winch. Why in the heck would you pay MORE for a no-name chinese brand?!?! The suzuki, yamaha, and kawi 350 machines will be in the same price-range, and surely more reliable and better quality.

Schmaus
10-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I'll betcha that for the average user the chinese brands will hold up to anything that a weekend warrior can throw at it.

lip_ripper00
10-28-2006, 01:04 AM
A friend bought 2 400cc ones in Kelowna. He said that if he needs any parts he gets them at the honda dealership. There is also a 650 coming out. Apparrantly they are equivalent to the hondas from 2 yrs prior.

get me a sample part to check. My kid works for one of the biggest honda dealers in Vancouver,right now I call bullshit prove me wrong??

steel_ram
10-28-2006, 08:42 AM
The one I saw for sale was less than 3 g's if I recall correctly. And it was the full size adult vers. The plastic was camo. At a quick glance I couldn't see any recognizable mfg. name on any parts etc. I'm told that parts are readily available.

Many of the 'Name brand' ATV's have components made by the same mfg.

ratherbefishin
10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I have not seen one-but if my guess is anywhere close to correct we will see an improvement in quality-look at KIA-considered clunky junk-but now on a par with some of the best.Chinese cars will likely be the next foray into the NorthAmerican market.I remember when volkwagons first started appearing-and everyone said the same thing-junk and wouldn't sell in our market

overthetop
10-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Yea I think for recreational ATVing (Hunting, putting around the farm or campground)it will be ok, if you wanted to race around on the dunes or a race track, spend the $$

moosecaller
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Moosehunter and I work with a guy who bought the very best top of line and in one week caused 1600 damage and this is not a young indestructable type guy he should know better. It does not matter what you buy it is how you use it everything has its' limits. I see no one has been able to be specific on this chinese quad as to what exactly makes it junk. I think like a few have said here treat them right and they will hold up as good as the higher priced brand names, run the bag off it and expect it to break of fail.

Iron-Head
10-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Stay away from them.... There evil, and I swear the makers are all anti hunters becuase they will break down when you need them most!

Iron-Head
10-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Moosehunter and I work with a guy who bought the very best top of line and in one week caused 1600 damage and this is not a young indestructable type guy he should know better. It does not matter what you buy it is how you use it everything has its' limits. I see no one has been able to be specific on this chinese quad as to what exactly makes it junk. I think like a few have said here treat them right and they will hold up as good as the higher priced brand names, run the bag off it and expect it to break of fail.
No, the reeson why these machines are junk is because, Japan, China and a few other countries have a lower quality standard for the metals they use when making these products, For example... If it says "Honda" Engine, its not true they have the blue prints on how to make the original honda engine but what they are doing is making there own version out of cheaper and less reliable materials.... I bought a "china" bike that from the very first time I ever rode it, was falling apart.
Stay away from brands such as "Hondaka" or "Yamoto", There are lead suppliers of this junk....
Hope this clears things up,
Symon.

moosehunter
10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Ok got some more info on these things. They are a "Jianshe mountainlion" 400cc. Id like to get some reviews and tests that they've been through. If theres comparable Japanese machines for even a bit more Id like to know where. Ive heard these can be had for $5200.00 on the coast. Anyone that has or has had one of these and can speak of the good or bad, (specifics) Id appreciate hearing from them.
http://usera.imagecave.com/moosehunter/Camo-4x4LG.jpg

moosecaller
10-28-2006, 04:42 PM
No, the reeson why these machines are junk is because, Japan, China and a few other countries have a lower quality standard for the metals they use when making these products, For example... If it says "Honda" Engine, its not true they have the blue prints on how to make the original honda engine but what they are doing is making there own version out of cheaper and less reliable materials.... I bought a "china" bike that from the very first time I ever rode it, was falling apart.
Stay away from brands such as "Hondaka" or "Yamoto", There are lead suppliers of this junk....
Hope this clears things up,
Symon.

Japan has some of the highest quality motors out there most of their products are first rate. Honda motorcycles are top rated in vertually all classes. So I guess this does not really clear up the question. When the Japanese first started to produce motor vehicles this was in question as well but over time they have proven themselves to be amoung the best. I am really curious if anyone has specific information on this particular quad as far as reviews, good or bad. This would be far more helpful than saying everything from China is junk. Or is this product too new to have any reviews on it yet? I must say they look good and the price is certainly attractive. The brand is jianshe and they do have web page.

www.jianshe.co.uk

bsa30-06
10-28-2006, 06:20 PM
moosehunter and moosecaller , try this midwestmv.com go to the bottom of the page and click on the red circle that says whats new.There is 4or 5 reviews on the page from people that have ridden the mountain lion 400cc.Hope this is kinda what you were looking for.

30-06
10-28-2006, 06:29 PM
for 6300$ it just get a brand name like honda,or yamaha u can get 400's for around that much in 4x4

moosehunter
10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
for 6300$ it just get a brand name like honda,or yamaha u can get 400's for around that much in 4x4
Ok, but now tell me why with specifics.

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Here's why they are JUNK:

1.) standard shift NOT automatic = JUNK
2.) 8" ground clearance = JUNK
3.) swing arm rear suspension NOT independent = JUNK
4.) rear brake cable actuated drum NOT hydraulic disc = JUNK
5.) dual brake levers NOT single lever = JUNK
6.) footpegs NOT full floorboards, so you're covered in goo (or you slip off the pegs and drive over your foot, nutting yourself in the process) = JUNK
7.) steel racks NOT composite = JUNK
8.) air cooled NOT liquid = JUNK
9.) 45kg lighter than a Polaris 450...you know they cut corners on the frame and components when it's that much lighter = JUNK

With that crappy solid rear suspension, it will be a buckboard, and be tippy on sidehills. The frame is gonna warp up fast with a moose on it because it's built so light. Spend the extra grand and get a REAL quad! Best part: you can drive around with it in your truck and piss dana off! :lol: :biggrin:

moosehunter
10-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Fisher-Dude
Now were getting somewhere. Specifics is what Im looking for. You obviously know more about ATV's than I do and Im the first to admit I know squat. Much of what you point out though appears to be opinion such as standard trannys being junk as opposed to autos. I prefer standard in cars and pickkups myself. Does a standard fail before the auto? Foot pegs as opposed to boards. If its a problem it sounds easily rectified. Composit racks instead of steel, something to consider. The frame warping packing a moose out is something to think about for sure. Ive compared the weights with several others and it is lighter than some and heavier than others, go figure. Ive heard concern about Chinese metalurgy being behind the times. The hand brake thing I guess I'll learn and form my own opinions.
I checked out midwestmv.com and the reviews sound good but they sound written by someone selling them. I want to hear about what it took to wreck these things.

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Moosehunter, most of the things that I mentioned are a technology comparison. They are about 10 years behind the competition.

Standards are great in your pickup, but suck big on quads...get on a deactivated road with waterbars and you are shifting constantly, and if I had a dollar for every guy I've seen rocking his stopped quad to get the torque off the tranny when he can't find first gear...well you know the rest. And when you hit a mud bog suddenly in the wrong gear, you're stuck. And when you blow a shift on a steep hill, look out below!

You need foot pegs with a standard so you can get your toe under the shifter, so floorboards aren't really gonna work. Arctic Cat made a rocker shifter for their standards just so they could put floorboards on them to keep riders dry and safe. Honda made a push button shifter too for similar reasons.

The dual brake lever is dangerous. If you spin out on a hill and hit the rear brake by mistake (panic!!!) when you come down backwards, quads tend to roll end over end very easily. Cable brakes stick in mud and freezing weather. Cable brakes also need adjusting all the time, hydraulics are self-adjusting so they are always set up for optimal braking. A single lever hydraulic brake works in all weather, and applies braking pressure evenly to all your wheels through a brake proportioning valve, the same as a car's brakes.

Liquid cooled engines are also far superior to air cooled engines. Air cooleds run hotter, and can cause problems with overheating. Engine life of air cooleds is generally shorter because they run hot. Liquids have more power cc for cc as they can be kicked up in horsepower/torque because they run cooler and more efficiently. Air cooleds also get crappy fuel mileage...compare my buddy's air cooled 600 Grizzly (12 - 15 mpg) to my liquid 500 Sportsman (25 - 30 mpg). Range is a big issue with quads, as it's easy to quickly rack up the miles in a day, and with a 14L tank and maybe 15 mpg, you better bring extra gas (or wear good boots!).

The jump in technology and creature comforts for the extra grand is sooooooo worth it. If you could go from a 1996 Hyundai to a 2006 Honda Civic for an extra $1000, what would you buy?

moosehunter
10-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Now I know a lot more about quads. This is the info that helps with decisions.

Ubertuber
10-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Lot's of opinions here...
I've owned both a standard and an automatic quad and I prefer a standard. I guess I just like shifting and the automatic was kinda boring. I agree that the quads made now are much better than the ones from a few years ago and you should compare before you buy.
If you can't afford a big name quad, I'm sure these Chinese quads would be just fine. Give em' a few years and they'll be all the rage, but then again, maybe not.

moosehunter
10-28-2006, 10:55 PM
"Then again" is the purpose of all this research Im doing. A lot of opinions and preferences here. I know what I want a ATV for and its not rat racing all over creation. I walk in, shoot my animal then go back and get the quad to pack it out. I need a machine that will haul out a moose in 2 or 4 trips if required, at low speed so its easy on the machine and rider. Cruise the back country before the season opens to do some scouting and will probably never see the 5th gear.

Schmaus
10-29-2006, 12:07 AM
6.) footpegs NOT full floorboards, so you're covered in goo (or you slip off the pegs and drive over your foot, nutting yourself in the process) = JUNK
9.) 45kg lighter than a Polaris 450...you know they cut corners on the frame and components when it's that much lighter = JUNK

With that crappy solid rear suspension, it will be a buckboard, and be tippy on sidehills. The frame is gonna warp up fast with a moose on it because it's built so light. Spend the extra grand and get a REAL quad! Best part: you can drive around with it in your truck and piss dana off! :lol: :biggrin:

I don't agree with most of the junk reasons. I like the standards better because I can control the rpms better and as long as you know how to work the gears you are ok. The solid rear axles are probaly stronger and they contribute to the lower weight over the independant machines. I am not sure myself but the dealers told me that independant suspension machines are more tippy on sidehills than the solid axle machines (Although this is something I haven't tested myself). The clearance issue is because of the solid rear axles. Foot pegs are kind of crappy but not that big of deal. Steel racks as opposed to composite I don't think this matters much if you keep the paint on them they won't rust. Air cooled vs liquid will also decrease the weight by a lot, my trike is an 84 and its air cooled still on the original motor and runs like a top. I think the solid rear axle and the air vs liquid cooled would more than make up for the 45 kg difference in weight. One thing that I didn't like about the chinese machines is I haven't noticed any of them with the ability to lock up both front tires (three wheel drive). Hope this helps

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Schmaus, the dealers who told you independents are more tippy than solids are probably selling solids! When you are sidehilling with a solid axle and the lower wheel hits a dip, the top wheel comes off the ground...that's tippy! I can't think of any time when having 3 wheels on the ground is better than 4. And solid axles ride like sh*t compared to an independent, and independents keep traction better when climbing, as a solid tends to bounce both rear wheels off the ground when they hit a bump. I say why beat the crap out of yourself on a rough riding machine?

Your trike I assume has a smaller motor with low horsepower...that's what makes an air cooled last. Once you get the power and cc's up a bit, they tend to wear. This Chinese bike has a 400 capable of a claimed 45 mph, which is fairly quick for an air cooled 400...so it's pumped up in horsepower and is gonna fry.

Clearance is king when you get in the mud, snow, or in an old cut with logs and stumps...good thing this POS is lighter 'cause you're gonna be pulling and lifting it lots. And as Schmaus points out, the apparent lack of a diff lock makes a huge difference when the going gets tough.

Some people like standards on their quads, but most change their opinions after they spend some time on an automatic. Look at the trend to automatics by all the manufacturers over the past 5 years. Autos now have engine brakes on most if not all models, so "controlling rpm" is not an issue.

All in all, the price difference between a good machine and one of the Chinese ones just doesn't justify buying the cheapo. With all its shortcomings, I would expect the cheapo to be priced closer to $3000 instead of $6300. A new 400 Cat is $6995 with all the bells and whistles (winch incuded!), independent suspension, high clearance, liquid cooled, digital instrumentation, diff locks, speed rack system, and I believe they have a multi-year warranty too. The $695 difference alone pretty much pays for the winch (winch, mounting bracket, relays, installation)...it makes no sense to buy the cheapo. After spending the past 7 years on a comfortable, efficient, well built machine, and watching the people I ride with struggle through some of the issues I pointed out here, I can't see any reason to buy a lesser one to save a couple of bucks.

zedex
10-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Here's why they are JUNK:

While i agree to a point I wouldnt call any of it junk just old technology. There is nothing wrong with aircooled infact it is fan cooled. Less weight,less to go wrong, you will never puncture your rad with a branch with an aircooled machine.
Independant VS solid axle. Solid axle is better for work and pulling moose and shit out of the bush. Independant is better for a cushy ride and as for sidehilling your sadly mistaken Solid axle is more stable.
Standard shift VS auto. There is nothing wrong with standard ,auto is just nicer.
Composite racks?? You mean plastic? With steel. Bend a rack bend it back. Break a rack weld it. Eay to repaint. Easy to fix. easy to modify.
Plastic your stuck with a cheezy hunk of plastic. Try fix that . It wont happen.
I myself wouldnt buy chinese. Japanese is much better and PROVEN . Go buy yourself a used honda foreman 350 or something like that.

mtnmax
10-29-2006, 08:21 AM
In Kelowna here I have been looking at these quads from overseas. I have been looking at the name brand quads as well. My history with quads I feel is pretty good. I have ridden most every name and from two wheels to four. From straight axle to independant. I am also full of opinions. I don't feel the quads from China or Japan are " JUNK " there are a less quality version at a smaller $ (in most cases). At a local dealer beside CDN TIRE you can get a 250cc full size quad,air cooled,straight axle,5spd manual,with racks and 2wd for $2990. iT IS WHAT IT IS AND THATS A PRETTY GOOD PRICE. The name brand guys are almost double in price. This spring I will going down to pick one up.You can get inexpencive winches ( costco ) to mount on it and a set of chains for snow season. I know it won't do what the BIG quads do but for the average guy it will be just fine. When I have the $$ to spend $5000 or so I will get a used Polaris with independant and liquid cooled. You pay for what you get but I don't think because the china quads are not as up to date as others does not make them "JUNK".
Just my opinion.
Mtnmax

30-06
10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Ok, but now tell me why with specifics. i said honda or yamaha because there the top selling ATV companies out there right now..if there top selling thats gotta say something.not hacking down the others like artic cat,polaris,bombarider,or kawasaki,but if seen more broken down.iv had to pull 1 bombarider and 1 artic cat off the mountian before with my little 225 that iv got,my buddy from chilliwack has a polaris 2 of them actually he absolutly hads them and wished he went with honda ...his first chice mine to....or then yamaha .

30-06
10-29-2006, 08:38 AM
You need foot pegs with a standard so you can get your toe under the shifter, so floorboards aren't really gonna work. iv got floorboards on mine and it is standard..i love standards..shifting is fun..autos are great for when u get older but there boring.standards your always thinking and doing somthing,besides holding the throttle.......now i like hondas idea of the thump shifter/automatic.

mtnmax
10-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I think all the name brand quads out there are comparable. Weight , size, cc , load capasity etc. Just like buying anything if you treat it well, and take care of them they will do the job and last. Every once in a while there will always be a lemon with every brand.

moosehunter
10-30-2006, 12:06 AM
I hear these things have been in Australia for some time. Figure I'll see if I can find some forums down under and see what the outbackers have to say about them. As for right now Im leaning toward either give them a couple years to see how they pan out or grab a deal on a domestic or or Japanese machine.

todbartell
10-30-2006, 12:13 AM
why not buy a $6000 used quad?????? there is no shortage of good deals on used 4 wheelers, cuz most guys who buy them find out shortly down the road that it was a stupid investment and want to unload them...

NEEHAMA
10-30-2006, 11:05 AM
i just want to hear that them chinese units are tough and durable! ... then in a year or two, there will be thousands of used ones around. we could by them for like $300. per and ride the sh%$ out them and chuck them after. but i still haven't heard if they stand up.?? only speculations.

dawn2dusk
10-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I've read that some of the rights to the Honda products from the 70s/80s, such as the 50, 70 and 90 cc motorcycle products were acquired by Chinese firms.
From what I've read these motorcycles are near matches to the originals in regards to quality.
I owned a Honda 90 back in the 70s, ( wish I kept it ). I haven't seen any of the bikes in Canada. I would like to see a "new" Honda 90 to see if it's the same as the one I sold years ago.
I'd be suspect who the Chinese manufacturer is copying in regards to an ATV.
Lots of engines for small motor products are coming in from China, IE. pocket rocket and small chopper motorcycles, these things are throw away toys.
Try to find out who made the product and do some research on the internet.

I to would like to see Honda re-introduce the CT Trail 90 to North amercian markets. They still make a CT110 and sell in other countries. The mail service in Austrailia uses them. They call em posties. Just imagine the wear and tear that a postie would inflict. I have a 1970 CT 90, paid $700 for it a couple years ago. Have put 1000's of kms on it. Cheap and great for island or early season hunts before the snow flies and temp drops. It climbs trees.

I would stick with Brand name. Get a used Honda 4 trax if dont think you can handle the power of the CT. Or buy a new 4trax it will last you long time. Honda is the best in my opinion.

Here is my 35 year old Honda CT. Its a year older than me and works alot harder and better than I do. I wish it could talk so i could hear the stories of its past.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/Picture2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3379&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1261&sl=d)

johnes50
10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
I to would like to see Honda re-introduce the CT Trail 90 to North amercian markets. They still make a CT110 and sell in other countries. The mail service in Austrailia uses them. They call em posties. Just imagine the wear and tear that a postie would inflict. I have a 1970 CT 90, paid $700 for it a couple years ago. Have put 1000's of kms on it. Cheap and great for island or early season hunts before the snow flies and temp drops. It climbs trees.

I would stick with Brand name. Get a used Honda 4 trax if dont think you can handle the power of the CT. Or buy a new 4trax it will last you long time. Honda is the best in my opinion.

Here is my 35 year old Honda CT. Its a year older than me and works alot harder and better than I do. I wish it could talk so i could hear the stories of its past.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/Picture2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3379&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=1261&sl=d)

I've thought of getting one A CT90-110 but was concerned about the clutch. How's the automatic clutch hold up on your CT90 with all the weight? I was also thinking of a Yamaha TW200. John

dawn2dusk
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Been fine so far knock on wood. The below "CT gang" members have had no problems either. I know one old timer here on the island that has had one since new. His dad bought him and his two brother one each. They still have and they run. But they are too old and need comfort of ATV now. I cant rave enought about these little bikes. Reliable, efficient, somewhat enviro friendly (cant spin the tires,erode, low fuel consump.), and cost effective. The most gas I used in one day was a 1.5 litres. The best part about these bikes is the low/high transfer case, so if you are haulin a deer or a buddy out, you can put into low and it has all the torgue in the world. Wont go fast but it will go. In the pic below the guy in the middle is like 300lbs. CT will take him up some serious steeps. Sometime when we ride we gain a few thousand feet in elevation. No problem.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/02130013.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3494)

4pointer91
10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
I heard Cdn Tire is coming out with 4x4 ATV's for Xmas.

dawn2dusk
10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
o ya the other thing is that these bikes are light compared to the yam TW200. I have a hitch mount, kinda like a heavy duty bike rack you would see on back of an SUV. Slides into the square hidden hitch things. And then you only have to lift each side of the bike into the holder which is about 5 inches off the ground. Real easy. Save money when taking ferries as you have no trailer and you can keep your canopy on truck so you have somewhere to sleep/store your gear and game.

Also bike is very easy to get under/over/around any gates or obstacles. Not that I trespass or anything in behind shawnigan on TW land :wink:

The auto tranny is a good thing cause it keeps your clutch hand free to do other things like hold your GPS/crotch. I tried hunting with a honda NX250 and my clutch hand got pretty tired after awhile. YOur always holding it in when you go slow. Or Trying to find neutral. Stalling out. WIth the Ct, you just lay of the trottle, she rolls to a stop and low idle. I use my bike to collect empties around shawnigan and works great for this reason. See an empty, roll up to it, pu, then hit the gas. Both hands are free. no need to find neutral. Buddies call my bike the "BAG LADY" cause it is obsessed with collecting empties.

tooty
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
The crappy tire atv is actually a Yamaha Bear Tracker 225 cc.The plastic is cheaper,but the running gear is all yamaha.My wife has a 2000 bear tracker a she rides with us all the time and it just goes and goes.(she rides it hard).Sometimes Can tire has them on sale cheap at times.

reach
10-30-2006, 04:18 PM
The crappy tire atv is actually a Yamaha Bear Tracker 225 cc.The plastic is cheaper,but the running gear is all yamaha.My wife has a 2000 bear tracker a she rides with us all the time and it just goes and goes.(she rides it hard).Sometimes Can tire has them on sale cheap at times. Is it actually a Yamaha (manufactured by Yamaha, parts say Yamaha) or is it a carbon copy? That's what the original poster was inquiring about I think - machines that were reverse engineered by the Chinese and assembled with parts that should fit the same and interchange with name brand parts, but possibly (this is where the question comes in) with lower quality materials or lower standards of quality control.

They did the same with outboard motors - there is a Chinese brand of outboards ("Sail") that are copies of Yamahas (parts will interchange) at a cheaper price. But they're not actually Yamahas.

4pointer91
10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
The 4x4 ATV models crappy tire are getting for Xmas have interchangable parts with Honda, at least the ones to be sold in the Okanagan.

ianwuzhere
10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
where did u hear that these models that crappy tire will be sellin are going to be interchangable with honda??

4pointer91
11-01-2006, 10:10 AM
The owner of one of the Okanagan Cdn Tire stores told me this. He should know since he's purchasing them. Anyways, they should be inexpensive to purchase and give the user the same 4x4 capability as other more expensive brands.

Phil
11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
My brother bought one for his kids and he is happy with it for the money spent. However, on the second weekend it started burning large quantities of oil but it still runs fine. I'de give it two more weekends of all day useage before it starts fowling plugs. The method of casting the enginge components is apparently its biggest weakness in comparisan to the Japanese products. From what I've seen I would stick to the Japanese stuff for a few more years untill the Chinese make a few improvements. I can remember the same sort of product comparisan with Hyundai in 1985 when they came out with the Pony. Now they produce a good product...I think. Good luck.

Iron-Head
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Japan has some of the highest quality motors out there most of their products are first rate. Honda motorcycles are top rated in vertually all classes. So I guess this does not really clear up the question. When the Japanese first started to produce motor vehicles this was in question as well but over time they have proven themselves to be amoung the best. I am really curious if anyone has specific information on this particular quad as far as reviews, good or bad. This would be far more helpful than saying everything from China is junk. Or is this product too new to have any reviews on it yet? I must say they look good and the price is certainly attractive. The brand is jianshe and they do have web page.

www.jianshe.co.uk (http://www.jianshe.co.uk) Does what I said have anything to do with "Honda" motorcycle's? No it doesnt.... Does it have anything to do with the fact that Japan has and still does make Cars that are world famous? No it doesnt....
I am simply telling you what I have learned about these bikes and the information that I have acquired by researching these machines....
If you want to say that the materials used for these things are the same as lets say, a Honda dirt bike your wrong! These bikes/Atv's ALL have a reputation for breaking down... And theres a reeson for that, Because they obviosly dont put the Quality into these things that they do the original Honda bikes..... I never once said that everything from China was junk, You asked for opinions and I gave you one, Now if your going to get your panties in a knot because what people are telling you is that if you buy it, it WILL break down then fine... but dont bother to reply to my post's... I have put allot of research into these machines and they DO NOT LAST!
Symon.

NEEHAMA
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
everyone pitch in $20. i will go and buy one. then i'll test it for a whole season. i'll cain the thing to death. after the season is over. i'll post a 3 page report. then i'll sell the thing and we can put the money back into the huntingbc. site account for next years meet and greet. who's in?

Mr. Dean
11-01-2006, 03:47 PM
everyone pitch in $20. i will go and buy one. then i'll test it for a whole season. i'll cain the thing to death. after the season is over. i'll post a 3 page report. then i'll sell the thing and we can put the money back into the huntingbc. site account for next years meet and greet. who's in?.

Only if I get to work the vidio camera........8-)

johnes50
11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
o ya the other thing is that these bikes are light compared to the yam TW200. I have a hitch mount, kinda like a heavy duty bike rack you would see on back of an SUV. Slides into the square hidden hitch things. And then you only have to lift each side of the bike into the holder which is about 5 inches off the ground. Real easy. Save money when taking ferries as you have no trailer and you can keep your canopy on truck so you have somewhere to sleep/store your gear and game.

Also bike is very easy to get under/over/around any gates or obstacles. Not that I trespass or anything in behind shawnigan on TW land :wink:

The auto tranny is a good thing cause it keeps your clutch hand free to do other things like hold your GPS/crotch. I tried hunting with a honda NX250 and my clutch hand got pretty tired after awhile. YOur always holding it in when you go slow. Or Trying to find neutral. Stalling out. WIth the Ct, you just lay of the trottle, she rolls to a stop and low idle. I use my bike to collect empties around shawnigan and works great for this reason. See an empty, roll up to it, pu, then hit the gas. Both hands are free. no need to find neutral. Buddies call my bike the "BAG LADY" cause it is obsessed with collecting empties.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning up the countryside and making a few bucks too! Thanks for the info. I saw a newer pickup a few day's ago in Langford with two CT90's in the back and another on a trailer. Was that you and your buddies? John

mtnmax
11-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I have herd certain manufacturers are better than others. In my gallery is a picture of a pocket quad I bought for the kids and it is holding up fine. My kids are 7,5 and 4.

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2006, 10:25 PM
My brother bought one for his kids and he is happy with it for the money spent. However, on the second weekend it started burning large quantities of oil but it still runs fine. I'de give it two more weekends of all day useage before it starts fowling plugs. The method of casting the enginge components is apparently its biggest weakness in comparisan to the Japanese products. From what I've seen I would stick to the Japanese stuff for a few more years untill the Chinese make a few improvements. I can remember the same sort of product comparisan with Hyundai in 1985 when they came out with the Pony. Now they produce a good product...I think. Good luck.

Bingo! There's the answer to your question.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Hey Symon........B-reath
R-elax

:cry:

moosecaller
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Symon; Panties in a knot? Relax. Your opinion was noted and appreciated. Your extensive research, experience and knowledge into this will go a long way into helping me making an informed decision.