PDA

View Full Version : Yard sales and Hunting gear

bone-collector
07-18-2004, 09:53 AM
alot of guys laff when you tell them you scrounge yard sales for usefull supplies for hunting season (some just like brand new items I guess) well we had to make a quick trip to Granisle BC friday night for some truck parts and there was a yard sale going on at 7pm still, so we stopped in for a look , after looking at alot of stuff that was useless I noticed a big (BIG) box sitting in the corner with a white canvas sticking out of it ....I asked the lady what it was and she replied some kind of tent her X hubby had , we rolled it out and low and behold it was a 16x14 wall tent with windows and stove pipe shroud , as she asked is $100 to much for it :?: :shock:
if there was ever a moment I couldnt get my wallet out fast nuff this was it, I guess a X-hubbies leftovers are another mans treasures :lol:

Steeleco
07-18-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm a garage sale'er but never got anything that good. Plenty of cast iron cookware for a buck each and even one of then plastic folding picnic tables for $5. Good score buddy. "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

bone-collector
07-18-2004, 10:57 AM
well at least now I can take a few guys out hunting and have room for them, other than pop tents :? , on the lighter side I see the new regs have a doe season here now, bow only but thats a given meat hunt around here , half of them are tamer than my dogs ,its the bucks you can never find in the fall :x , oh well I dont bow hunt so there safe from me, but would take anyone out who does bow hunt for a 1 hour hunting trip :lol:

3kills
07-18-2004, 12:27 PM
that sounds like a pretty dam good score there rob...

YukonJack
09-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Sweet find!
I find stuff like high-lift jacks, gas cans and the like. I'm still lookin for dekes to add to the spread though. I remember a long time ago seeing this reloading press and all the whistles for about 15 bucks. That was before I got into handloading. Thing was brand-new, still boxed. Man, if it was today, I'd rip my pocket off getting the money out...

dizzydan
09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
YJ I lucked out this summer on reloading stuff at a garage sale $1000 worth for $40 included a LEE 1000 press set up with 357 carbide dies. DAN>>> :D

Downwindtracker2
11-11-2004, 08:55 PM
My best score was a 4" jointer for $10.My son got himself a pre-Delta 8" Beaver table saw for $40 to go with the jointer I gave him.

coaster
11-13-2004, 04:57 PM
One of my best scores was a stainless steel meat bandsaw with grinder attached, $60. Always lots of gun and hunting books..

Walksalot
01-28-2005, 08:49 AM
I picked up a heavy duty Tirfor Tool, a cable winch for those who don't know what one is, with cable for $5.00 at a garbage sale. New they are close to $1000.00.

buckee
01-28-2005, 10:16 AM
WOWZERS ...:-D

Good eye Bone-Collector ...good eye:idea:

sawmill
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I got an 8.6 foot camper at the dump for free. fridge,stove@furnace all worked,had a hole in the roof,easily fixed.Just after Xmas I found a 100 watt Yamaha bass guitar amp there,Iguess the people had too make room for the new toys?

zedex
03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
My best buy was a soft top for my 72 landcruzer. With soft doors. $47 is all i had in my wallet. Got it for $47

longhairmtnman
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I rarely purchase anything new and find it almost impossible to pass up a sale of any sort. Books are my big weakness. Garage sales, flea markets, second hand/thrift stores, auctions, etc. It's a bit like hunting as you never know what's around the next corner or over the next hill. My garage is a testament to my affliction. I'm famous for 'I think I have a use for this'. :roll: and my buddies know exactly who to come to when looking for something. It's a sickness ..... the wife says I need help. ;)

N-W-Redneck
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
What I always seem to find are white gas appliances. I have picked up 3 2-burner stoves, 5 lanterns and 2 catalytic heaters. Most just needed minor parts (generators, pump diaphrams, glass) and a good cleaning! I think the most I paid for any of them was $5 for one of the stoves. Seems most people are scared of white gas stuff, but will use propane stuff (which is 10x more dangerous!) with dried out leaky o-rings, rotted out burners, etc...:shock:
Oh well, better for me I guess!:-D

Tarp Man
07-05-2005, 08:26 PM
My wife got me started with garage sales, and I can hardly pass one without stopping, unless I am on my way to hunting or fishing! However, there is one recent exception...
On Saturday, my buddy and I were going to fish in a little local lake, and enjoy our daypasses from home :) anyways, we are 45 minutes from home and he realizes he forgot the stove for a hot lunch. Half joking he suggests we look for garage sales, without realizing we just passed one! After telling him to quit fooling around we pull a u-turn and visit this sale, hoping to find a cheap pot to sit in a fire. Well, check RAISE that cause we came away with a white gas Coleman for $5! Not bad for the first sale withing 100 yards of realizing we were stove-less! Now my wife accuses me of going out "fishing" when I want to go garage saleing without her... at least I don't have to justifiy the purchase until it is too late to return it!
-Tarp Man

sealevel
07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I got an 8 bye 10 wall tent for 2 bucks and 3hudson bay 4piont blankets for 10