PDA

View Full Version : Where do I buy gun bluing and whats the best kind

Quesnel Kid
03-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi All

Like the title says I m looking for bluing for a rifle thats I m refinishing, I just want to touch up a few spots not looking to strip the whole thing. Cabelas and Wholesale Sports are both sold out of backorderd anyone out there know were a guy can by some.

If you have expereince in the gun bluing field and have some knowlege to empart please don't hesitate.

Cheers:-D

bearhunter338-06
03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Go to your local gun store or even WalMart or Canadian Tire and get some Burchwood Casey cold gun blue. Read and fallow the instructions. Easy Peesy.

KB90
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
You can get it at Franks.

Quesnel Kid
03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys

Westslope
03-28-2012, 02:13 PM
The most important thing when bluing (cold or hot) is to polish the steel properly, if you were doing the whole thing expect a lot of work if you don't have belt sanding capabilities. An equally important thing is to remove all oils from the steal, use latex gloves when handling the parts to be blued because if you touch that steel you will not get as good of results on that area. I have found that softer steels take the cold bluing well but, on the harder moly barrels found on high power rifles you may get a light coloured result that isn't very durable. You can get very good products from Brownells (online) also Wholesale carries some Brownells products not sure about if they have the cold blue though. IMO Birchwood Casey is at the low end for quality and may result in disappointment. Good Luck.

Andrewh
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I have this http://www.basspro.com/Birchwood-Casey-Perma-Blue-Liquid-Gun-Blue-Kit/product/34234/113648 brand new that I purchased last year. Ended up getting a stainless rifle so didn't use it.

$20 its yours.