PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in a treestand lately?

BlacktailStalker
10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Its been a while but I spent the evening in my treestand with bow in hand where i saw the biggest blacktail I've seen earlier this year. But, nothing! Just a few woodpeckers and a grouse. Saw some promising buck tracks walking in and several brand spankin new rubs so that was good. Drove by the area I was thinking about hunting next and saw 27 deer in the field, and that was straining through binos in the dark. My stand there cuts them off half way from their beds so I'll be hitting that next. It just so turns out thats where my buddys 5x5 and my 3x3 came from this bow season :)

WoodOx
10-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Not recently, but I think Im gunna throw mine up tomorrow and start huntin er a bit for the mulie rut. Ill post some pics if I get the pic nontypical Ive seen around ;D

J_T
10-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Yup, going to do some reconnaissance this weekend. Have a few places in mind. Likely will set up the stands in a couple of spots.

JT

5/10/85
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Never. Which may explain my lack of success. I personally find it very difficult to sit in a stand (especially in really cold weather). The cost of the stand is another thing. It also seems the deer I hunt stick to three or four different spots on the mountain, and it's a crap-shoot to catch them in the right place by sitting. Walking around in the rain and gusting winds has served me best. However, I am really interested in becoming a good stand hunter. What's the secret? When is it good to sit and when not? I've heard that hunting blacktail is best done from a stand - but I haven't had any success from sitting - help?

willhunt
11-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I also find tree stands cumbersom but im 6'5" and 300lbs if I'm on a stand 99% of the time im standin,literally.