PDA

View Full Version : cleaning scope, and bino lenses

Marc
10-22-2006, 08:15 PM
What do you guys use to clean dirty spotting scope, rifle scope and binoculars?

Thanks, Marc.

Steeleco
10-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Funny I was just asking myself the same thing last week in the bush. The instructions for my new Monarchs say "Pure Alcohol only not denatured alcohol" if the dirt cannot be wiped away with a soft cloth. I understand you can buy wipes for cleaning optics that are pre-soaked in alcohol?

Marc
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Hmm, thanks. I was wondering how you got the streaks off the lenses. Using Alcohol wont hurt the lense coating?

BCLongshot
10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
You know I'm going to drop by Lens & Shutter and ask them.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Lens Pens and a soft lens cloth. Lens Pens works great but you sometimes need to absorb moisture before cleaning in the field. Kleenex, a$$wipe and shirt tails NEVER touch my optics.

SSS

Will
10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
I use a "Lens Pen" (?) Not sure of the name brand........?
Anyways it's the size of a small maglight...I actually have it in a Nylon mag light case on my hunting belt.
It's got the pop out soft Lens brush to remove dust...then it has the "polisher" cup on the other end. I've used this on my "Rainguard" coated optics as well as my Leos for years and it does not hurt the lenses or coatings8)
I avoid using any "chemical" cleaners on any of my optics. Works for me and I always have it with me in the field.

Steeleco
10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
My Nikon instruction booklet states only 100% pure alcohol and not the denatured type. That's what I'm going with, when I can find some :wink:

tooty
10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Talk to elkhound ...he is in the business and he knows his stuff.

Steeleco
10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I was hoping he'd give us some insight, but he's likely hunting or some other lame excuse :lol::lol::lol:

JMac
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Lens pen or essilor lens cloth works even better.

Caveman
10-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Steelco, what do have in the Monarchs the scope or bino? I just picked up the binos a few weeks back and love them.:smile: :smile: Well worth the money.

Steeleco
10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Bino's. In 10x42. I looked for almost 6 months before I decided on these. There may be better but these were the best i could afford. 110% happy.
They're so good my Son won't use my old bino's I used for years without complaint, damn kids EH!!!

Sorry Marc, back on track :oops:

Caveman
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Yea, I like the size, not too big not too small, easy to see through and a great warranty. Just pull them up and there you are.

Elkhound
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
How did I miss this post.:lol: Go to your local Optical. Get a good microfibre cleaning cloth and an antireflective cleaning spray. Use both. Do not clean lenses dry. Ever. Pick up a good anti fog paste as well. Paste works better than a spray. Do this after cleaning the lenses. All instructions will be on the products. Very simple to use. Will also work on glasses, scopes, binos, cameras etc.....they all have extremely similar antireflective coatings. (Magnesium flouride based) In a pinch use vinegar and water mix. 1/2 and 1/2. Works well. Will not wreck coatings.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

And Steelco............I wish I was out hunting. I have been teaching Optics in Surrey from 8am till 10pm. My hunting time has been very short:frown:

Steeleco
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info Dave, just what I needed. next time your over PM me, we'll have a coffee or such on your break!!

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Lens Pen only. I don't use anything else on the Leicas.