PDA

View Full Version : which one

kits duck
10-16-2006, 06:29 PM
ok i need a new gun. cheap . duck only.italian sporting goods or reliable gun and tackle. which store and which model..

Ian F.
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
12ga 870 express is about the best low priced gun made, new, cheaper used..

Guns are like women, we all have preferences and often can't or won't explain why!

Very best,

Ian

ryanb
10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
You'll get better and more personal service at Reliable. Prices are comparable.

Victor
10-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi there,

ryanb is right- much better and easier to deal with Reliable. I wouldnt buy from Italian if they were half the price. Earlier this year I bougt a Remington 870 Express with a synthetic stock from Reliable. Appx. $380 for the gun, another $40 for the steel full choke tube, plus the government's share, and I walked out with a brand new shotgun for a few dollars over $500. You cant beat that. Shot lots of ducks towards the end of the season. Last weekend I did some trap shooting for the first time at the Pitt Meadows Gun Club. A duck hunting friend of mine Dave, who is also a member on this forum, suggested I go there. Lots of fun, and a very laid back atmosphere. Great place to go for some pre-season practice. Some guys there are pros, and shoot $5000 plus shotguns. Other guys like me shoot $500 Remingtons! But the first time there, I broke 23 out of 25 clay pigeons. Beginners luck. Anyways, I would suggest spending $500 on a "starter" shotgun, use it for a few years, then upgrade to something more fancy if you like.

Good luck,

Victor

fuzzwilkens
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I recommend Reliable hands down. I find Reliable much more friendly. John, Paul, Dave and Shane really know their stuff. The Remington 870 is great and a similar option if you like semi-auto is the 1187. They had my used one on sale there for a while for under $500. It may still be there. If you are going to shoot Geese or do pass shooting then I would consider a 3 1/2" but if you are shooting over decoys then the 3" will do. Both come in many options.

todbartell
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
870 express supa mag

7mmWSM
10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
My vote goes to Reliable, hands down. I have bought rifles from both stores and would never buy from Italian again.

craigchaplin
10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Don't have much ta say about italian either........reliable is yer best bet. Rem 870 is a great gun. My opinion is that a duck gun gets beat on and soaked all the time so don't see the point in spending big bucks. My 870 has lasted me 4 seasons now and still is as reliable as the day i bought it. And believe me it gets beat. Semi auto's shoot a little faster but i don't believe are as reliable as pump. just my opinion.

NEEHAMA
10-20-2006, 02:46 PM
ABSOLUTLY RELIABLE GUN! they really take the time. and now that wholesale sports is moving to kamloops they will have to charge the pst and no longer have the 7% advantage. reliable has been matching them on price for a while but now reliable could beat em.!!

hoochie
10-21-2006, 12:33 AM
ok i need a new gun. cheap . duck only.

Mossberg 88. cheap, and reliable.

Gateholio
10-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Remington Express or Mossberg 88 are both reliabel, chepa choices.

I get excelelnt service form both stores, so I'd go to whoever was closest.:lol:

bsa30-06
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Go to reliable.Will never deal with itilian sporting goods.Way better service at reliable.

Dano
10-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I like Remington pump shotguns, I have an early 50's Wingmaster. I really like my old '68 Browning A5 magnum but have used an 1100 Remington and liked that too. My other auto is an old SKB XL900 which is like the Ithaca XL900.
You won't regret spending a little more cash for a gun. I recommend shopping gunnuttz as someone there is always selling a new or slightly used gun at a good price. I bought my SKB from there and the shipped it cod to my local post office and I paid there when I picked up the gun. I did have to give my PAL info to the guy first but he called in the sale and I confirmed it at the firearms center. Check for the trader rating.
There is also gun shows around the lower mainland periodically and there can be good deals there too. I almost bought an 1100 for $400 and there were others from $300-$500. There was a beauty Ithaca 900 auto in new/unfired condition for $500 (could have got it for $400 I'm sure). Worth checking out just to see what guys have. I think the Historical gun association (or some such name) puts them on.
I had a good experience with Italian last year, they opened up my Browning barrel to modified and installed a butt pad. Very nice and the gun shoots excellent. My SKB went to Reliable and the angle of my buttpad isn't right (they cut the stock as it was originally curved) and my pattern shoots low to the right (had choke opened up to mod.). I haven't sorted it out yet, it may be the gun shoots low and nothing to do with the gunsmithing (which was done by someone I know personally). I have had good dealing with Reliable too dating back to the old store in 1976.
I think anyone shopping around Vancouver has the opportunity to check out any of the stores and form their own opinion. Too much of what makes guys happy or pissed off with any business is subjective. Get out there and use what is posted here a a baseline and use the information as a small part of what opinion you end up with of the business.
Dano

BCLongshot
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Reliable !!! Reliable !!!

Mr. Dean
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I just recently made a purchase of a new rifle from Reliable. Very CLASSY act. I wouldn't hesitate about goin back. :smile: :smile: