PDA

View Full Version : Heart

Nooker77
10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
My Dad calls it "mopped duck"..lol ..not sure why...maybe so we thought it was duck when we where kids!!:lol: Anyway take your wild game heart and cut it in 1/2 but not all the way through I like to cut mine in a "C'" shape so you can lay it out flat...pound the sh*t out of it with a meat tenderizer untill you get a nice thin large round steak!! One big piece!! Take a package or two of stove top...make it......spread the stuffing over the entire heart steak....spice up with salt/pepper/montreal steak spice and some garlic!! Roll it up as tight as possible and tie it together on the ends and in the middle so the stuffing doesnt spill out while cooking...place some oil in the roaster pan and bake slowly untill meat is cooked through!! Make some mushroom gravy/with rice or potatoes and a veggy!! Cut the heart in about 1/2 inch little steaks and pour the gravy on top....mmmmmm....good!! It worked for me..I never would have touched heart if not for DAD tricking us for years!!:lol: Good luck
Cheers Cole

mrdoog
10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
My Mom did something similar with heart.
Except she called it Mock Duck.

mainland hunter
10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
sounds good. the heart is my favorite piece of the entire animal. i think most people would like it if they tried it. i usually just dice it and fry it in butter with chives and seasoning salt. delic.

echo
10-14-2006, 08:46 AM
my mom used to make stuffing and stuff the heart then roast it---we liked it hot, but LOVED it cold in sandwhiches!!!! :) mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good!
~echo

Deaddog
10-18-2006, 07:45 AM
heart is a tradition for us on backpack trips, I pack in an onion and seasoning salt fry it in "flavoured water" and it is to die for

willhunt
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
we always called it dog food. but I will try it next time.

bsa30-06
11-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Sounds good i'll give it a try next time, usually i have friends that ask for the heart but i'll try it myself next time.

Rod
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I make a circular cut from the top in order to remove the large arteries etc as well as creating a decent cavity to stuff, use whatever turkey stuffing you like and roast it.

My kids just love it cold on sandwiches and my daughter makes a point of getting all of her friends to try it.

luckynuts
12-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Just so happens that I have a bison heart sitting in my fridge. I will definately give this a try.. Sounds good! Thanks

W

MB_Boy
12-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I have always eaten liver but for some reason never the heart, but this does sound pretty good.

What is the texture of the heart like? I would assume being a muscle it would be much more "meaty" than liver?

greybark
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
:) Lots of moose for a family of 9 in N Ontario. Mom would stuff the heart with a Scottish dressing of oats and pork sausage meat and black currants or walnuts .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Awishanew
12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
We also cut out the middle and then stuff the heart with chicken stuffing. Skewer it closed and bake it. Just before it is done put a few strips of bacon on it and put the top element on until bacon is done. As for the texture someone was asking, its quite a bit firmer than liver. I prefer it to liver.

Chuck
12-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Yes indeed you guys this is great talk! Never waste heart, liver, kidneys, brains, eyeballs etc. This is how we find out. Some of the best parts have been left for the ravens and with feedback like this we can better use our wild game.

mapguy
12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Get some new taste buds . the ravens gotta eat too .
The problem with eating organs is that there the first to show contanimation
from toxic shiittt . And since there not being tested . I shot a moose that had
a million tapeworms . they just looked like little fat deposits had to go to the min. and they told us what it was .
I had taken that moose to a butcher to hang in prince geroge he never said a word about it being contaminated good thing I didn't get him to cut it up.
our buthcher here took one look and said there was something wrong .

tuchodi
12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
In camp we cut the heart into strips or circles and mix up a seasoning batter with flour then dip the heart pieces in eggs and roll in the flour mix and fry. Not much better in the world than that. Maybe the outdoors makes it better.

Chuck
12-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Mapguy I wasn't meaning raven food - there's plenty of that; I was talking of the delicasies like heart, kidneys, liver and I even forgot to mention the best part of all - the oysters and I'm not talking saltwater! How do you think Arnold Swartzeneggar got so tough, lifting weights?

mapguy
12-23-2006, 08:02 AM
hehehehe gotta share with the wildlife
mind you fresh moose liver chilled in the snow is really good
but you gotta check it out real close
oysters god is nothing sacred

Nooker77
01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Pounding out the meat makes it so tender..it is a messy job but a good heavy meat tenderizer does the job!! Its a must try...thanx for the other ideas guys...I like the sound of cuttuing in strips and breading it....would be great on an open fire...only 8 months till hunting season 07!! yipeeee:lol:

sparkes3
07-15-2007, 09:08 AM
stuff it like a chicken and roast it up

ratherbefishin
07-16-2007, 07:19 AM
I take the heart ,kidneys[soaked in saltwater],shanks ,trim and cube them up,season and dredge them,brown in a cast iron dutch oven, then add onion [or onion soup mix],liquid[bottle of beer]and cook slowly all day.later you can add chopped celery,mushrooms,peppers, carrots if you want.

Steeleco
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
This thread reminded me I had some heart in the freezer, or should I say in the skillet!! Liver used to be nice, gout ended that!!!

Smells yummy, gotta go, breakfast is near ready!!