PDA

View Full Version : Good Campfire Grouse Recipe?

bigwhiteys
10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Anybody have a real good one?

I've tried Garlic Butter and smeared it all over the breast then roast on a stick and that was tasty.

What else do you do with your Grouse? I'm going Deer/Bear hunting on the Island next weekend and if I happen upon a grouse or two would like to try something new.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

hutch
10-12-2006, 06:58 PM
cube up the meat slightly fry then add mushroom soup ,cook then put over a bed of rice

Ian F.
10-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Cube, wrap in bacon, make kabob's, cook till bacon is crispy, brush on your favourit BBQ sauce, touch more heat, EAT!

Ian

Ozone
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Shake & Bake

Iron-Head
10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
This ones kinda long but if you like good food youll appreciate this recipy..
First take 2 or three pieces of bacon and fry them untill your desired crispy-ness. Then take your grouse (whole breasts or cubed) and cook them in a half jar of tomato sauce with the bacon being added after about 5 minutes.. Then take a half cup of red wine and put it in with the grouse and sauce, Let simmer for 15 minutes. Once grouse is almost fully cooked take 3 table spoons of sea food sauce and add it into the mixture, as well as a table spoon of butter.. Let cook for mabey another 5, add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy... Done right this concauction should be the consistancy of BBQ sauce, With a wicked flavour..
Lol, for those of you reading this recipe and thinking Yuk, Think again... I stumbled upon this recipe in a very old cook book, called
Wild camp fire cooking"" that I found in a antique book store .. Give it a try and see what you think:smile:

Statler
10-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Build a hot fire allow to burn down to coals. Place a well seasoned cast frying pan in the coals to pre-heat. While waiting cube 1-2 breasts, I prefer Ruffies, toss with some Montreal steak spice and when pan is hot saute breasts in butter with a drop of olive oil ( so that it doesn't burn). Then take some pita pockets cut in half, open them and coat with miracle whip add cooked breasts and top it with diced tomatoes, onions add a spoonful of your favorite salsa sauce and enjoy.

PgHunterKid
12-25-2009, 12:48 PM
This may sound odd but it is delicious. Montreal STEAK spice on chicken breast! Mmmmm

Gunner
12-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Stirfry with Hoisin sauce and fresh onions,peapods and sprouts. Gunner

newhunterette
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39678&highlight=grouse+recipes

click this:

in recipe section of HBC there are lots of grouse recipes

MikeH
12-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I've done them with butter and seasoning salt wrapped in tin foil thrown on the fire like a baked potato.Or cordon bleu.

Tanya
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Super easy. Break down bird(s). Chop up an onion, you can add carrot &/or celery if you have them. Open a can of those seasoned diced tomatoes - the 19oz size, use 2 if you've slayed lots of chickens. Throw it all in a pot, you can add a little water if you think the grouse isn't covered enough, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, longer if you're enjoy pops and not rushed. Tender stuff. Also the same base ingredients can be used for all sorts of other meats, even made caribou heart soup with it.

Salty
12-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Shake salt and pepper and whatever other spices you like on the breasts. Wrap each one up with tin foil adding a small dollop of butter. Make sure they're wrapped a couple of times and well sealed and chuck'm in the fire at the edge where there's nice red hot coals. Drink beer, flip over a couple times with a stick and in 20-30 mins or so you have an easy protien bomb after a hard day hunting that will usually disapear in a hurry. .

RustyRipper
12-31-2009, 07:36 PM
I got a good one.........salt........and.......pepper! roast on a hot dog stick (without feathers naturally) eh voila!

Will
01-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Shake & Bake
Yep that's what we've done when campfire cooking grouse,shake and bakes pouches are easy to pack along too....wrap em in foil and throw on the coals....Yummy:-D

01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Step 1: clean bird
Step 2: open beer
Step 3: start fire/stove
Step 4: open your second beer
Step 5: heat pan
Step 6: melt butter in pan
step 7: mix random dry herbs with garic salt and flour
Step 8: mix lemmon heart and coke
step 9: cook birdie till done
Step 10: the best step... Share with your friends while telling the days stories and repeat till full.

Dually Guy
01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Vanderhoof stew . By Ingrid

sugar
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
My grandpa tells of taking whole grouse with feathers on, rolling it thick clay/mud and putting it right on some coals to cook/ steam......

sounds kind of different to me...

Bpower
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Shake and bake in a fry pan with oil or butter but the pork shake and bake is the best!

BearStump
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
cubed grouse, cubed deer, cubed bear, and some veggies. mix with cream of chicken soup and put it in a pie shell, cook till golden and smother with turkey gravy..mmmmmmm!! good eats in the cold.

shotgunjohn
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
We always bring one of those barbeque baskets that you can get with us. It's a lot easier to cut the grouse in half and use the basket to roast it than it is to put it on a stick.

tomla1
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
i think it is almost impossible to cook bad grouse.
Man they are good mmmmmmmm.

steelheadSABO
01-07-2010, 06:58 PM
pound roll in egg and crunched ritz crackers fry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmenjoy

eaglesnester
01-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I have found that grouse is tough and dry. The only way I have found that I can enjoy it is to stew it slow in a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup with a little white or red wine, and with a few onions, carrots, and some thyme, garlic and a touch of basel.

1/2 slam
01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I have found that grouse is tough and dry. The only way I have found that I can enjoy it is to stew it slow in a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup with a little white or red wine, and with a few onions, carrots, and some thyme, garlic and a touch of basel.

Then you really don't know what you're doing. Read some of the recipes here

shortwalk
06-21-2010, 10:10 PM
put in fry pan add half can beer cook 10-15 min add salt and pepper you got a great simple tail gate lunch !

c.r.hunter
06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Best campfire grouse ever!

1)Get a good sized fire going & let if burn down.
2)Breast out several birds
3)Pound out breasts into cutlets-place breasts between several layers of plastic wrap and the backside of an axe works great(who packs a meat mallet into the bush?)
4)Dice up a few slices of bacon and fry. Add finely choped onion, carrot and celery(if you have) Once tender, add some bread crumbs or cubed bread until you get a nice stuffing texture. Continue cooking until nicely browned.
5) Put a nice layer of stuffing onto each cutlet. Roll up the culets and wrap each one with half a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick-make them if you don't pack toothpicks.
6) Place on grate directly over a bed of coals-not too hot. I make a seperate pit away from the fire and add coals as needed with a shovel. Cook until bacon is crisp & cooked through.
7)Eat quick if you want seconds!

Goes great with corn and potatos. Seems like allot of effort, but trust me, it's sooo worth it!

barry1974w
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Cube a few birds, chop bacon and an onion, cook in fry pan while tortellini boils, drain tortellini, dump in grouse, bacon and onion and mix in a jar of four cheese alfredo sauce. Tasty, quick and filling meal for a few guys.

N-W-Redneck
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
My grandpa tells of taking whole grouse with feathers on, rolling it thick clay/mud and putting it right on some coals to cook/ steam......

sounds kind of different to me...

I've done this with my dad when I was younger, it works! We found a clay bank and some water and mixed it up until it's kinda runny, but still fairly thick, and coat the entire bird. (you want the clay to 'soak' into/around the feathers) Sit by the fire just long enough to partially dry the clay, then thicken up the slurry with some more clay until it's almost like a paste and apply a nice thick coat. Bury in coals like a baked potato and enjoy a few liquid appetizers for about 45min. Dig the bird out and if your clay mix was right, when you crack it open all the feathers will come off stuck in the clay! Makes for a moist and juicy bird! Salt/pepper/hot sauce (I put that sh*t on everything! :biggrin: ) to taste.

I haven't done this for about 25yrs, but I think I just might have to make a special chicken trip just to do it again. :wink:

Don_Abbate
06-27-2010, 03:55 PM
80 percent of the time i make grouse i cook it in my pasta sauce for a while it comes out amazingly tender and tastes awesome i just chop it up into sections and cook the birds in the sauce olive oil garlic onions salt pepper little oregano and it makes for a nice spaghetti dish

squirrely
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I bought a dutch oven just for baking grouse on a base of veggies and potatoes with a strip of bacon on top. Add a bit of water to keep moist. It's heavy kit but it stays with the truck obviously. Like chicken but with so much more flavour! If it's dry and/or tough you over cooked it, sorry.

blackwater moose
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
we make in moose camp a take on turducken (turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken) . we call this grouchen ( chicken stuffed with grouse ). WOOOO DADDY !! this one will knock your socks off!

Rodd
07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
I like to marinade in Italian dressing for a couple hours, then cook it in tinfoil on the fire, with some dressing, and its delicious! This works awesome on deer, sheep or elk as well. I find by marinading the fresh game meat it takes the fresh dead scent away. kinda like soaking in a light salt brine overnight does. You can put your nose up to the meat and smells like nothing... MMMMMM This thread is making me want to shoot some Blue Grouse Soon! LOL