PDA

View Full Version : bow help?

Weasle
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I am looking to get into a bow for my first and have been looking at the post here and doing a little reserch but I wonder if I could get some advise. First off, is buying a used bow a bad thing. Is buying a used bow on e-bay or something like that a bad thing becasue you can't see it first?

is a 12 year old pse polaris a good bow. I have figured my draw length for my size thanks to some of the links in other threads from here and it is correct for me at 29".

the add reads:
PSE Compound Bow... with stablizer,quiver,arrows,arm guard, two sets if sights and a extra string. 55/70 lb settings 65% let off.

What is let off %? (The arrows are just feild points.)
This fellow wants 150 for the package. Good deal??

Thanks alot
Wes

Or is anyone wanting to get rid of their back up bow or extra bow for a reasonable price?

greybark
10-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey Weasle , I recomend you buy a used bow that you can get your hands on . Know your draw lenght and comfortable draw weight and be patient . There are a lot of used bows out there , you just have to go to several 3-d shoots , check the Buy and Sell and local archery shops ..
Some of the local shops have bows that have been traded in for the latest model . These trade in bows are your best value and are as good as anything on the market .
Good luck to you .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bochunk2000
10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I would have to agree. I think its a good idea to get your hands on a good used bow for starters. I'm not familiar with that bow but in answer to your other question "let off" is the amount of draw weight reduced at full draw. If the draw weight is 50lbs and you have 65% let off you will be holding 17.5lbs at full draw. A lot of bows are 80% let off, it might not sound like a lot but waiting at full draw for that buck to take that last step can seem like an eternity. I hope this helps.
Steve.

huntwriter
10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Never buy any used bow that you can't handle. Second hand bows can be very good. I have had several used bows and have been very happy with them, but they all have been inspected for damage on the cables, wheels and cams plus cracks in the limbs by a professional pro archery shop, before I forked over my hard earned cash.;)

pupper
10-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey wes,
take a look at waynes shop... big game archery.
he is in abbotsford and has some beginer packages.

If you decide to buy the used one then get wayne to take a look at it for you.

his number is 604-859-2086

Justin

ex bc guide
10-12-2006, 07:46 PM
pm on its way

Bow Walker
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I am looking to get into a bow for my first and have been looking at the post here and doing a little reserch but I wonder if I could get some advise. First off, is buying a used bow a bad thing. Is buying a used bow on e-bay or something like that a bad thing becasue you can't see it first?

is a 12 year old pse polaris a good bow. I have figured my draw length for my size thanks to some of the links in other threads from here and it is correct for me at 29".

the add reads:
PSE Compound Bow... with stablizer,quiver,arrows,arm guard, two sets if sights and a extra string. 55/70 lb settings 65% let off.

What is let off %? (The arrows are just feild points.)
This fellow wants 150 for the package. Good deal??

Thanks alot
Wes

Or is anyone wanting to get rid of their back up bow or extra bow for a reasonable price?
I, personally, would be a bit shy of a 12 year old bow. Especially since you can't see or handle it beforehand. Ebay is "buyer beware" territory.

Checking the local shops is a very good idea. Don't stop at one though, check out as many as you can find.

Try talking to Mike or Rhonda at Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors. They are in the book and they are not too far from you.

Good luck
Dan.