PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Lk Fishing

Nooker77
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone...going to stone lk on Sunday...was wondering what works best on these trophy lks?? Can I expect to catch fish all day or just the odd monster rainbow???:) Any hints/tips would be GREAT...Thanx8-)

300H&H
10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
We had some luck in July on Big Sabine. In 2 days we (4 of us) landed well over 100 fish. One guy , in one day landed 40-50 fish. Most 2-3 lbs. He used a full sink line and either a dark/black 1/2 back or phesent tail 1/2 back. Allow your lin to completely sink then start a slow retreve. Thats when they hit. For me my biggest was over 5 lbs. on a black # 6 spratly. I landed others over 4 lbs. Lots of fun. The guys I was with told me last year 5-7 lbs on Little Sabine was the norm. Good luck.

kishman
10-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Nooker, this is an excellent time of year to be fishing the Ranch/Nicola Valley...........IF, the wind allows you to get out on the water. Best bets are first light and evening. As for fly selection, this time of year boatman on an intermediate to slow sinking line has caught me lots of breakfasts' in years gone by. If your feeling a little docile:lol: , chironomids are always a pretty good bet, I hear small (#14-16) chrome with copper wire wrap and copper bead works8-) . Once you hook one, work that area hard before moving on. I've fished Minnie and Salmon Lks. on the ranch and in both lakes there seem to be definite "honey holes". Good luck, keep warm and post the pics!!

Nooker77
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Cant wait till Sunday....wasting a good day of hunting but hey.....My buddies treat so I cant pass it up!! We are fishing the 2 main lakes...I'll be out there all day...rain or shine....first time with out the little ones fishing so it will be relaxing if nothing else!!:) Thanx for the fly advice..I have had alot of luck with the copper chrons as well!! I'll take lots of pics...hopin for the "BIG ONE"
Cheers Nooker8-)

Nooker77
10-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Kishman....can you save me some time and tell me where to start on Minnie and Salmon lks?? GONE FISHIN!!!:)

Nooker77
10-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Ok had the time of my life last Sunday on Stoney Lk !!! Fished from 8am till 6pm..only out of the boat to dump some beer..lol and have a snack!! My average was 2 to 3lbs...biggest around 5....if any of you have the chance to go and fish this pay lk.....DO IT!! It was so much fun...took a while to find the right fly and the fish but once we did...wow....I caught between 30 and 40 fish all over 2lbs and scrap like you wouldnd believe!! I'll get some pics on here asap!!
Cheers:lol:

Geo.338
10-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Sound like an awesome trip .If you can get your head around paying to fish .I fished the ranch about 15 years ago and it was worth every penny(about $100\day back then )We fished Minnie and Stoney Lks.I caught 10 fish in 2 days .This was just after ice off .Stoney did not produce even 1 fish for me .Those interior Rainbows just hammer the fly and if you are not ready they just about rip your rod right out of your hands.My biggest was about 7 lbs. and at the time they were advertising Rainbows to 12 lbs.What is a big fish for Minnie these days ?We used leaches and wooly buggers in burgundy and purple .

Nooker77
10-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Ya I had a lot of luck with burgundy buggers as well....never made it off of stoney as it was windy and stormy so we hid in the back bay from the lodge!! Leaches on a sinkin line worked awsome!! Its 300 aday these days..ouch...I got invited by a buddy who had a free day...I said I'd never pay to fish either...BUT let me tell you....WOW...its awsome!!! Going next year...couldnt keep em off!! George at the lodge said the biggest they seen was 16lbs in the spawning channel they built!! Thats a big rainbow!! They wherent long but looked like little footballs!! If you can afford it its a great day!!