PDA

View Full Version : Final Approach Pack-N-Go Sub Layout blind review

WaderGator
01-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Picked up my new layout blind today. I purchased the Final Approach pack-n-go SUB from Cabelas. Firstly I'll point out that this is my first layout blind and I have never hunted out of one so I can't make comparisons but I can give you my impressions of the blind as I see it. The blind was on sale for $174.99 down from $250 so the price was fairly reasonable.
With any online shopping my initial fear was that it would show up and it would be just absolute junk. This was totally not the case with this blind. The build quality is top notch and all the components feel solid and I'm confident they'll stand up to the abuse of hunting. 2 things that I noticed were that the aluminum frame is partially exposed near the headrest and its silver in colour and maybe should have been powder coated a different colour (tan, brown, etc) and that the bottom although it claims "waterproof" I doubt it can handle any standing water. FA does manufacture a waterproof boot that clips on to the bottom for setting up in standing water although im not sure it fits this model.
Setting up this blind was incredibly easy. All the pieces fit together perfectly and the procedure was pretty straight forward. Im sure after a few practice runs in my living room doing it in the dark will be no problem at all. What sold me on this blind was the fact that it folds up very small and fits in a car which is important to me as the truck is sitting in the driveway with no insurance on it. Despite this the blind is very roomy and comfortable inside. It also has backpack straps and a built in gun scabbard so i cant wait to hump this thing into the middle of a field and bag some geese.
Overall this blind seems excellent so far and if there were geese in my living room they would be dead by now haha. Just thought I'd post a rundown on my first impressions. I'll follow this up once I get it in the field and bag some geese.

Mr. Dean
01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Shiny tubes and a not so proof, waterproof bottom....
Tubing is easily fixed; just wear your waders to correct the other.

Happy Huntin'.

trapperdan2061
01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I have one of their layouts too, I added a peice of foam like you use camping to the bottom as the ground can be cold when you are laying in it

Crazy_Farmer
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
We have 4 FA Laydowns. 3 of them have the same grey bar but honestly once you've grassed the blind you never see it. You could just spray paint it if you're worried.

I've never made much use of the waterproof design except hunting sheet water in a field before we were in an inch or more of water. But normally you get the most water in the blind when it's raining and going in and out. They can sure buildup alot of water inside.

Carrying it in it weighs 15lbs. Coming out after a normal wetcoast day it's 35lbs hahaha

Ian F.
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
... you get the most water in the blind when it's raining and going in and out. They can sure buildup alot of water inside.

Carrying it in it weighs 15lbs. Coming out after a normal wetcoast day it's 35lbs hahaha You're making this stuff up again aren't you?

Crazy_Farmer
01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Ohh don't lie Ian. You know exactly what I'm talking about. And the only thing worse then carrying a heavy laydown around is getting skunked and having nothing to show for it. You should remember hahah.

pnbrock
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
i got the guide model xl lots of room in there,enough for two if i can talk wife into it.downside dont collapse and a bit of a pain packing it to the field.

Ian F.
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Ohh don't lie Ian. You know exactly what I'm talking about. And the only thing worse then carrying a heavy laydown around is getting skunked and having nothing to show for it. You should remember hahah. We both know that a soaking wet Cabelas Ultimate layout blind holds far more water then a SUB, especially when it's grassed in raffia! I'd say 70lbs!

joat
03-24-2013, 02:08 PM
I have a SUB and I'm happy with it. I would like the poles to be telescopic so I could lay it flatter but I might have to modify it myself. I wish there were more loops for camouflaging it around he head openjng and behind the head or a flap like a hood that could be pulled down to cover up. I sewed scrim to the mesh with fishing wire. It worked but I still cant blend it as much as the rest. Im 5'10" 170# and the SUB extremely roomy. The last FA blind I used was a smaller one that laid really flat but was difficult even for me to get into. I could hide put my limit or a dog comfortably in the SUB with me. The biggest man I know would fit it. I paid $240.