PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Choice for 50# Recurve.

Amphibious
10-08-2006, 06:10 PM
have a 50lb recurve on the way (Finally, whoopy!), new to the archery game, intending on picking up some elcheapo walmart special arrows for practice. unsure as to length/spine, target point weight, etc to get. thoughts?

pupper
10-08-2006, 07:42 PM
go to your local archery shop and buy some carbons that are spined for at least 50lbs. go with gold tip expedition for practise arrows as they are reasonably priced and are a tough arrow. i think around 80 bucks a dozen.

and then get them cut down to your draw length, you will get a flatter shooting arrow.

greybark
10-08-2006, 09:31 PM
:o Hey Amphibious , What brand of recurve did you get . Usually it does not matter but some are more centershot then others and you may have to build out the riser in order to cause your arrow to bend around it . This results in you using a slightly higher spined and heavier arrow , Better for your bow , better arrow flight and with carbons much quieter.
Are you planning to attend 3-d events ?
Good luck on your Archery adventure .!!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Amphibious
10-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Barnett Brand (?) takedown, walnut/laminated riser, 58" long and 50#. I belive it to be a pretty basic model. not really interested in 3D, more interested in poking some spring bears. I routinely stalk to <30m with rifle, so might as well use a bow! shot a lot of recurve with scouts when i was younger, so thought I would go that route, should have it in hand in a couple weeks.

Thunderstix
10-09-2006, 08:06 AM
PS. DO NOT just cut the arrows to your draw length as you need to make sure they are the length that shoots best from your bow.

pupper
10-09-2006, 11:35 AM
PS. DO NOT just cut the arrows to your draw length as you need to make sure they are the length that shoots best from your bow.

I know with my bow If my arrows are 4 inches longer than i have them cut they shoot 2 feet lower at 50 yds.
just a personal experience.

greybark
10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
:) Hey Amphibious , Since you are starting out I would suggest the arrows be cut 1 1/2 in longer then your draw . This will not present spine or weight problems and when you damage your arrows (usually the tip) the end can be cut off and a new point but in . Two dozen arrows for the price of one .
8-) 3-d shoots are great as a teaching aid but not nessecary . You would find the trad crowd friendly and helpful should you attend any .

Amphibious
10-19-2006, 08:07 PM
bow just showed up. looks nice :D mounted my quiver on the side, picked up an armgaurd and a fingertab. will go see the guy at the archery shop on buckhorn road about some arrows and broadheads. I see there is a december doe season in reg. 6. if I can shoot well enough by them might give it a go. excited.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Ted at T&F country sports will treat ya right

50 # recurve I would look at easton 400 or maybe even 500 series arrows ....

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Willyqbc hooked me up with some second hand GT5575's. shoots quite nice for a low end bow (turned out to be an Internature TD Hunter, guy selling it had it miss labled). very very quite, even when compared to other guy's Recurves at the range. will see how long the limbs last. have some G5 125gr B-52's on the way, hopefully get a chance to stick one in a doe this dec. fingers crossed.

magicarrowman
11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey amphibious, the arrows and broadheads you've chosen are a good ones. Another good set of arrows and broadheads to shoot are the Gold Tip hunter xp arrow and put a Sonic 100 or 125 grain broadhead on the tip. These broadheads are superb!!!! I started shooting these this spring and I won't change up until they make a broadhead that is a heat senser.(ha ha). If you check out American Broadhead's web site, it'll show you what these broadheads can actually do. Good luck with trying to stick one!

Rainwater
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Forget Walmart arrows and re-consider shooting at a deer this year unless your a seasoned pro.

greybark
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
:) Hey Amphibous , Your practise results and your mind will let you know when you are ready and at what distances .
Good luck in your new archery adventure .

bsa30-06
11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
:) Hey Amphibous , Your practise results and your mind will let you know when you are ready and at what distances .
Good luck in your new archery adventure .

I'm just a beginner, but i agree completely.

Amphibious
11-10-2006, 09:14 PM
re-consider shooting at a deer this year unless your a seasoned pro.

if I took this advice I'd be out hunting. impossible to get seasoned or become a pro with out doing the task. excellent advice :lol:

the rest of you: thanks for the well wishes, have my accuracy down to a 20yrd shot. have stalked many a critter in closer then that, so hoping luck stays with me. lots more practice time yet 8)