PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY... i bought some new decoys

fowlweather
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM
so i finally got permission to take the plunge and purchase some nice decoys, It is whats called a GHG fullbody Mallard Harvester Pack... thats a mouthful, well i picked them up yesterday and i am very impressed to say the least, the "harvester pack" came with 12 decoys with a ratio of 6 hens and 6 drakes, it came with 4 styles with an even ratio of hens for drakes so do the math yourself. it came with 4 Actives, 4 Feeding 2 Resting and 2 sleeping.
it also came with 2 types of stands, stakes to stab into soil or mud and ring stands for ice or frozen ground.
the only problem i had was a dent in the sleeper hen, but magically and surprisingly a good thing for me the dent just folded out! the decoys can flex to take abuse. All the paint came perfectly and the heads fit on perfect too.

I cant wait to use them in my secret spot next weekend! hehe
Some Pics: (i took the last two)

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_227559_005_alt01_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1310&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=24edzkEX7aCHHKgx8Izlfj

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_227559_999_alt04_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1333&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2Pkmd4p9sYHFlY5kru8BjJ

http://www.huntstuff.com/images/images_vendors/greenhead_gear/products/mal-fld-FB-harvest_700.gif

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/fowlweather1/DSC_0253.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l626/fowlweather1/DSC_0256.jpg

lorneparker1
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I have the same set. Plus a few, Great little spread. You can get flocked heads for the drake feeders and sentrys.

pnbrock
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM
If u need help breaking them in let me know. They look great

TheProvider
01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
GOod choice... I don't think I'll ever use any other decoys other than ghg, have their duck decoys and a few dozen fully flocked goose decoys

Crazy_Farmer
01-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Only complaint I have with ours is after a season or two, a hen or two the paint has turned colour. Not brown anymore, has a reddish/pinkish colouring to it now. Owell, we'll buy 3-4 dozen more in the offseason to add to the others plus some pinnies. I only buy GHG duck decoys, wont touch the geese, but thats another story.

fowlweather
01-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I have the same set. Plus a few, Great little spread. You can get flocked heads for the drake feeders and sentrys.

how does the paint stand up? do i need to baby them or can they take a lil abuse? until i need to i will baby them anyways

Ian F.
01-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Me too, 5 years and going strong....

lorneparker1
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Beat on em! I mean i bag them in their bag, but i dont treat them any different.

fowlweather
01-10-2012, 10:09 PM
good to know before i have a big paint chip and its too late.

f350ps
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I've got 6 Doz of the GHG full body Canadas, 4 Doz of the Oversize Mallard floaters, 18 Full Body Mallards and 2 Doz Oversize Canada shells and I've had no problems with GHG decoys. The paint on the earlier FB Canadas left a bit to be desired but all the others have been very good but by the time the geese see the paint chips it's kinda over! If I had CF's money I'd probably have DSD's but I don't so I had to settle with GHG. Enjoy them, I'm sure yer gonna really like them. K

Crazy_Farmer
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Wasn't a money issue. If the GHGs held up fine we would still be running them today. But instead stuff like this happened. I won't spend a penny more on something that can't handle the wear and tear. Our dsds probably need a bath and soapy water after this season but still look damn near brand new after 3-4 seasons of 20-30 days in field just for geese

Lessers started to chip paint off tails, and sides where they sat in the bag. The supposedadely best ffd ghg we had fully flocked were losing colour quicker then anything. A one colour grey decoy is not what I paid for.

Honkers come into anything

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/decoy-1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/decoy2.jpg

lorneparker1
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
^^^^ thats facked! I put my ffd lessers in the full boy duck bags(12 slot) which is a super tight fit and i dont have rubbing like that.

f350ps
01-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Interesting, I think I know why the color is coming off the ass end, even more clear when ya see the fingernail scratches on the sides! Get a girlfriend man, wow! K

lorneparker1
01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
interesting, i think i know why the color is coming off the ass end, even more clear when ya see the fingernail scratches on the sides! Get a girlfriend man, wow! K

hahahaahahah

91Jason91
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Nice looking good

pnbrock
01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
so no invite ,u fowl guys are as bad as sheep guys!!!!

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I've gotta couple dozen of them DuckDeke's.

Happy hunting.

Crazy_Farmer
01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Interesting, I think I know why the color is coming off the ass end, even more clear when ya see the fingernail scratches on the sides! Get a girlfriend man, wow! K

You're old enough you must have a daughter for me Kelly?:tongue:

WestCoastTodd
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Man, those look good! Did you find a supplier up here, or order them from the States?

Mr. Dean
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I got mine from the Big Box Store in Langley.

WestCoastTodd
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I got mine from the Big Box Store in Langley.
At risk of asking a wildly stupid question on my 8th post, what's the Big Box store? Wally World?

fowlweather
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
At risk of asking a wildly stupid question on my 8th post, what's the Big Box store? Wally World?

i have no idea either.

i got them out of a store in the states called Reeds they were regular 250 but down to 200 on a sale which is still on now. i called them to ask to get a different type of shipping other than ups standard international to avoid the ridiculous brokerage fees, i asked for the second cheapest i think its called expedited or something, shipping was like 20 bucks more but WAYY cheaper than any brokerage fees.
I got them with shipping for about the asking price of them without shipping from cabelas.com

WaderGator
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

gotta be wholesale sports

WaderGator
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
i have no idea either.

i got them out of a store in the states called Reeds they were regular 250 but down to 200 on a sale which is still on now. i called them to ask to get a different type of shipping other than ups standard international to avoid the ridiculous brokerage fees, i asked for the second cheapest i think its called expedited or something, shipping was like 20 bucks more but WAYY cheaper than any brokerage fees.
I got them with shipping for about the asking price of them without shipping from cabelas.com

Why don't you just get it shipped to point roberts and pick it up yourself? Ive saved a ton of money over the years that way. cabelas has free shipping in the US deals fairly frequently

fowlweather
01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Why don't you just get it shipped to point roberts and pick it up yourself? Ive saved a ton of money over the years that way. cabelas has free shipping in the US deals fairly frequently

i still got it cheaper. its 260-270 or something, and i don't have a PO box down there so how can i get things anyways?

WaderGator
01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
i still got it cheaper. its 260-270 or something, and i don't have a PO box down there so how can i get things anyways?

I use these guys www.tsbshipping.com (http://www.tsbshipping.com) . Its free to register and when a package comes in with your name on it they send you an email. Its a really awesome way to take advantage of free shipping in the US. You pay them per package instead of renting a mailbox. every package Ive ever picked up there has been $3. The only thing you need to be careful about is to not order so much you have to pay tax/duty at the border that being said ive come back with a few hundred dollars worth of cabelas at a time and they dont seem to care. For the higher value stuff I just take the old lady down with me and we do the Point Bob tour cause chicks seem to love that place

fowlweather
01-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I use these guys www.tsbshipping.com (http://www.tsbshipping.com) . Its free to register and when a package comes in with your name on it they send you an email. Its a really awesome way to take advantage of free shipping in the US. You pay them per package instead of renting a mailbox. every package Ive ever picked up there has been $3. The only thing you need to be careful about is to not order so much you have to pay tax/duty at the border that being said ive come back with a few hundred dollars worth of cabelas at a time and they dont seem to care. For the higher value stuff I just take the old lady down with me and we do the Point Bob tour cause chicks seem to love that place

YOU JUST MADE MY LIFE! I HAVE TO TELL MY DAD! thank you soo much!

Mr. Dean
01-12-2012, 01:50 AM
gotta be wholesale sports

I didn't say it; You did.
And I'm not endorsing their store.

No Idea what I paid for them

- I needed.
- I saw.
- I bought.

WestCoastTodd
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I didn't say it; You did.
And I'm not endorsing their store.

Ah, now it all makes sense. Great looking dekes no matter where you got 'em. I'll be saving my loonies to start a flock of my own...now if there was just a few more days (weeks, months) in the season.

fowlweather
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
one more weekend thats it, and thats not endorsing it, they never have any decoys, the only nice ones are the honkers in the back left above all of the clothes,

WaderGator
01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
YOU JUST MADE MY LIFE! I HAVE TO TELL MY DAD! thank you soo much!

I think Cabelas just made a few more bucks......There I endorsed another store. even steven

f350ps
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
If you wait until the new store opens in Tulallup or however ya say it there will be some good deals I'm guessin, if not then ya can just have stuff sent to there and pick it up yourself. K

Dutch
01-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I do the same thing but at a different box.Great decoys had mine for three years on sale at Macks prairie wings 165.00 shipped

WaderGator
01-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Just got an email from TSB. My new Layout blind has arrived! heading to point roberts to pick it up. yeehaw!

fowlweather
01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Just got an email from TSB. My new Layout blind has arrived! heading to point roberts to pick it up. yeehaw!

sounds like fun! good luck, i gotta take my new dekes out this weekend

WestCoastTodd
01-15-2012, 08:44 AM
And there is still a few days left in the season to try it out...you going to give us a review?

fowlweather
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
so i went out today with them, and my dad still can't get over how nice they are, i had mallards landing around them all morning but they landed in the river where we can't retrieve and with the snow and ice its really sketchy to be walking on the edge

field marshal
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
You know youngfella sounds to me like you bought the Cart before the Horse?. You need to save up for a good stable duck boat?? So in the mean time, the next time you visit the Island, drop those new decoys off at my house and we'll try them out and see if they are any good???:mrgreen:
Cheers----Field Marshal.

WaderGator
01-15-2012, 09:22 PM
And there is still a few days left in the season to try it out...you going to give us a review?

Didn't have a chance to pick it up. Other than saturday morning in Ladner marsh the weekend was pretty much full of NFL playoff watching. I'll have to rip down there after work one day this week and pick it up. doesnt look like im going to get out now before the end of the season but once geese open up in February I'll be sure to write up a little blurb on it. its the final approach pack and go SUB. hopefully its not a total piece of garbage but I guess i'll find out. ive never hunted out of a layout blind before so it should be interesting.

pnbrock
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I bought the final approach blind &love it very comfy, however I wonder if some birds flair the lump in the field.

WaderGator
01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
I bought the final approach blind &love it very comfy, however I wonder if some birds flair the lump in the field.

Yeah i was a little concerned about that. lots of the blinds on the cabelas website have it written in their reviews that their profile is too high and the birds flair sometimes. I guess its something thats unavoidable. Im pumped to use it just hoping I dont fall asleep in the damn thing haha

kyleklassen
07-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Only complaint I have with ours is after a season or two, a hen or two the paint has turned colour. Not brown anymore, has a reddish/pinkish colouring to it now. Owell, we'll buy 3-4 dozen more in the offseason to add to the others plus some pinnies. I only buy GHG duck decoys, wont touch the geese, but thats another story.thats from setting them to close to salmon carcasses they take on the reddish/pink...like the lovely underbelly of a january merganser.

Crazy_Farmer
07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Don't you just love shooting mallards full of salmon eggs. You can smell them before you see them

Gunner
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Don't you just love shooting mallards full of salmon eggs. You can smell them before you see themUp here once the fields freeze and the birds can't get to the corn they head to the river for a feed of rotten salmon.Time to shoot coyotes and wait for the spring goose opener. Gunner