PDA

View Full Version : Home built Remote controlled mojo duck?

BiG Boar
01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi guys, I'm very green to duck hunting. Less than 40 under the belt I would think. But after dove hunting in Argentina and thousands of dead doves later, I am thinking I like it more. Especially for times when you can't kill much other big game.

Anyways, we got permission on some fields recently and have been trying to take it more seriously.

Save your comments about how mojos suck, or how I suck for using one. I already know. Yawn

Yes I am learning to call, but this takes time. I'm trying to kill ducks here.

I have been thinking more about this. I like my mojo. However I would like to have a remote to turn the wings on and off. This can't be rocket science. All you need is something to cut the power from the battery. Even a 40 foot piece of wire would work that you touch together from the blind when you want it on or off.

I know you can buy a remote built in mojo, for an extra $50. But has anyone figured out how to do it from a cheap remote control of some type?

I want to be able to turn it on and off when I want from the blind. Especially as it gets sunny. However it might be good when you see birds, just to flash it on to get their attention.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to rig one up?

Steeleco
01-06-2012, 01:32 PM
The wired version should be real easy, a length of very small gauge wire and a toggle switch. Splice into either the positive or the negative wire from the battery pack and your done. Wireless, would be better but beyond my small minds ability!!

warnniklz
01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Try calling up RP Electronics. (604) 738-6722 They have a bunch of components and stuff. They may be able to help you out.

lorneparker1
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Stop being cheap and buy the remote kit!

WaderGator
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
i bet it ends up working out to be a similar price if you just bought the kit as oppose to macguyver-ing it together

The Dude
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Dave, go to a hobby store that sells RC planes and boats. What you need is a one-channel remote and one servo. Explain what you want to do with it, and ask if they have something used that you can buy and Gerry-rig it yaself.

lorneparker1
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Mojo-Outdoors-Remote-Control-Kit/dp/B00067Q03I

get off your wallet!

digger dogger
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
It worked great with 100' of speaker wire!
We probably should have had our limit, and a goose each. Buuuut, i'm the shits.lol
Thank you Lorne parker1, for the info on how to set decoys. And Steelco, for the borrowed decoys.

lorneparker1
01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Wheres the pics!! good job gents!

Crazy_Farmer
01-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Ahhhhhhh I remember the days of running 100' of lvt wire for the robo. That ended really quickly when a dog comes around.

Sounds like a fun hunt.

laredo318
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Dave, go to a hobby store that sells RC planes and boats. What you need is a one-channel remote and one servo. Explain what you want to do with it, and ask if they have something used that you can buy and Gerry-rig it yaself.

http://www.rcpitstop.com/

This guy is just down the hill from you.
Wes is the owner...great guy.
See him for used servos etc.

BiG Boar
01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Sweet, good ideas, thanks guys. The 100 feet of speaker wire Digger got, we just split one end, hooked it up to one side of battery, and one side of motor, and then ran the cord and touched it together from the blind. Worked like a hot damn. Yesterday they were flaring off the robo after less than one circle, so now we shut er down when we see them coming in and switch to chuckles. It was awesome. Had them circling 3-4 times before they would finally put out their landing gear. Definitely the cheapest fix for the problem, but I am going to go to the RC store and see what they can come up with. Sure $50 ain't much for a remote, but when you have an army of 17 robos, its a definite cost. Full blue skies, attracted them in from far, then shut it down and they went kamikaze on us. I am new to this, but after much reading on birds figuring out robos, this seems like it could be the ticket. Any other bright ideas?

Foxton Gundogs
01-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi guys, I'm very green to duck hunting. Less than 40 under the belt I would think. But after dove hunting in Argentina and thousands of dead doves later, I am thinking I like it more. Especially for times when you can't kill much other big game.

Anyways, we got permission on some fields recently and have been trying to take it more seriously.

Save your comments about how mojos suck, or how I suck for using one. I already know. Yawn

Yes I am learning to call, but this takes time. I'm trying to kill ducks here.

I have been thinking more about this. I like my mojo. However I would like to have a remote to turn the wings on and off. This can't be rocket science. All you need is something to cut the power from the battery. Even a 40 foot piece of wire would work that you touch together from the blind when you want it on or off.

I know you can buy a remote built in mojo, for an extra $50. But has anyone figured out how to do it from a cheap remote control of some type?

I want to be able to turn it on and off when I want from the blind. Especially as it gets sunny. However it might be good when you see birds, just to flash it on to get their attention.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to rig one up?

YOU SUCK FOR USING ROBOS..............like a lot of the rest of us lol

Stop being cheap and buy the remote kit!

It worked great with 100' of speaker wire!
We probably should have had our limit, and a goose each. Buuuut, i'm the shits.lol
Thank you Lorne parker1, for the info on how to set decoys. And Steelco, for the borrowed decoys.

Listen to Lorne.......Wait till you have a hard charging retriever hit your 100 ft of speaker wire LMFatAO

Good on you guys for getting out there its not the birds in the bag its all about the FUN!!! BUT WHERE R THE PIX.

Cheers
FG

digger dogger
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
These are from yesterday.. http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/duck1003.jpg

Dutch
01-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I don'y know sounds like a lot more to pack ,got the remote kit off e bay for $35 ...