PDA

View Full Version : gun registration

Titan
10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I just got my hunting license and was planning on going up to region 8 this weekend to do some hunting with a friend of mine who has been at this alot longer then me. My question is, is it a big deal to go hunting with a rifle that has not been registerd

10-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the site Titan.......

http://www.lufa.ca/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=6096 This may answer some of your questions or go on the cfc site for their version of the "truth". We have an amnesty in place for a year......
Personally, l don't worry about it and have been told by our local CO that unless laws (firearm, hunting etc) are being broke, they won't ask for federal paper work.
Good luck this weekend..........

Gateholio
10-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I just got my hunting license and was planning on going up to region 8 this weekend to do some hunting with a friend of mine who has been at this alot longer then me. My question is, is it a big deal to go hunting with a rifle that has not been registerd

The nervous nellies will tell you that you can have your gun siezed.

It has happened, although infrequently. At this point, there is a registration amnesty in place, so it is unlikely you woudl be charged or have your rifle siezed, but no guarrantees.

Most CO's are interested in your HL only, and the RCMP someitmes are intrested in your PAL, neither of them seem interested in your reg papers in BC, at this present time.

Tarp Man
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Just don't get caught with it by any police force. It could then be a long and painful road depending on the officer at the scene.

bruno
10-04-2006, 05:04 PM
The nervous nellies will tell you that you can have your gun siezed.

It has happened, although infrequently. At this point, there is a registration amnesty in place, so it is unlikely you woudl be charged or have your rifle siezed, but no guarrantees.

Most CO's are interested in your HL only, and the RCMP someitmes are intrested in your PAL, neither of them seem interested in your reg papers in BC, at this present time.

So are we nervous nellies for obeying the law until it is changed or what?
The Co.s are provincial the gun registry is federal. The RCMP can and do what ever they want depending on the officer involved. I would be wary.

Kirby
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Its been changed(sort of) you have till next year before you have to be legal. Right now, no worries go for it. However next year unless the rule has changed i would have it registared.

Kirby

Gateholio
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
So are we nervous nellies for obeying the law until it is changed or what?

Nowhere in my post did I say that.

Bullmoose
10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
With the ammesty in place go for it, what can they charge you with??

Titan
10-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, after reading your replies im not going to worry about all that much. I am really stoked to go hunting this weekend as its my first outing and i hope i bag something.

ryanb
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
With the ammesty in place go for it, what can they charge you with??

Nothing as long as you have a firearms license, even if it is expired. The law still says they can seize a gun from you if its not registered. That said, I've never had anyone check the registration of one of my firearms, CO's, RCMP, airport security et al.

Hank Hunter
10-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I am with Gatehouse, what is your point bruno. The law and amnesty is a federal decision

kishman
10-04-2006, 08:28 PM
If your able to, do the paperwork and send it in before your hunt. At least that way you can say you've put in the effort. But with the current amnesty in place, as long as you have your PAL/POL and H.L. I'd think you'd be fine. Good luck:) .

bruno
10-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Interesting article from www.opinion250.com/news (http://www.opinion250.com/news) Questions over gun
seizure.

MichelD
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Original Message ----- From: John B. Holdstock (jbholdstock@shawcable.com)
To: John B. Holdstock (jbholdstock@shawcable.com)
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 5:51 PM
Subject: BCWF ALERT #166/2006: Gun Seizure Raises Questions

Gun Seizure Raises Questions

Opinion 250
The Voice of the North
Thursday, October 05, 2006
http://www.opinion250.com/blog/view/3746/1/gun+seizure+raises+questions (http://www.opinion250.com/blog/view/3746/1/gun+seizure+raises+questions)

When three couples in their 50’s and 60’s returned from a pleasure-hunting trip along the Stikine River last Friday, they weren’t prepared for what would take place.
Ron Colebank, his wife Crystal, George Neudorf, his wife Judy, along with Williams Lake residents Thelma and Fred Hoeffels returned to the boat launch at Telegraph Creek last Friday morning.
As they began to unload their boats, they were approached by a man dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt, who asked to see their rifles. They asked if he was a game warden; he replied "No I’m an RCMP member." After looking at their rifles he gave them back after making the comment that “People around here think I’m an a**-***e, but I’m just doing my job."
The group asked for some identification but the officer said, "I don’t have to give you any identification" and left, although one in the group says he did say his name.
Between 30 and 45 minutes later he returned, this time wearing a vest and his gun belt. He again approached the group asking for their rifles. This time he said they were being seized because (1) some of the rifles were not registered, (2) The PAL of one of the people in the group had expired.
In all, he took 7 rifles from the group.
During this time Ron Colebank says, "We had a trailer hitch break and I was running around trying to get it repaired because the water is very swift on the Stikine at the launch and we were afraid to lose a boat. The officer, who still hadn’t positively identified himself, kept following me asking me for the guns and I was using some colorful language towards him" says Colebank. "I said to the officer, I can understand why people think you’re an a**-**le." said Coleman. "At that point he told me he was charging me with Obstruction of Justice, and he got on a phone he was holding. An hour or so later two more police officers appeared who said they were from the Dease Lake Detachment."
Colebank and group were taken to the Dease Lake RCMP office where one of the officers said "We have 70 to 80 guns here that have been seized from people who don’t have them registered." Colebank says his group was there for a long time "We were at the Dease Lake station for about 4 to 5 hours". In the end, Colebank says the officer from Telegraph Creek came back into the office and said the obstruction charges were being dropped. Colebank says "I don’t know how he could drop charges when there were none officially laid."
The group of six then headed home without their rifles after being told they would have to return to Dease Lake to appear in Court to get their rifles back.
Opinion250 News contacted the Officer in Charge of the Dease Lake detachment, Sergeant Hunter. He says he will be talking to the officer in question later this week. When asked how many firearms were in storage at the RCMP facility in Dease Lake, he said, ‘No comment”. But he did acknowledge that all firearms seized from the region are stored in that office.
All six of those involved in the matter say none of them received a receipt for their rifles. When pressed for ID one of the officers said, "Can’t you see from the uniform who we are?" Colebank says "At the very end I got a card from a Const Brad. Robinson."
Sergeant Hunter says he would like to talk to the six people involved in the matter and he has asked them to try and reach him. “With their firearms, eventually they will be returned to their respective owners."
Meantime Jay Hill, House Whip and MP says yes there is an amnesty but the officer is right, there is an amnesty against criminal charges if your rifles are not registered but that doesn’t mean police officers cannot seize them. "That also applies to an expired PAL" says Hill. "It’s the best we have been able to do without a majority in the House." Hill adds "Police officers must however understand from what we have done, to show discretion." Hill says police in rural areas should show some common sense "A warning would have been more than sufficient in this case and it is plain to see that the officer in question showed very bad taste."
Hill says he will pass the matter over to Stockwell Day, Minister of Public Safety.
As for the 6 who were at the core of the seizure, all have returned home, with no idea of where their rifles are, no receipt for them being seized, no claim ticket, and as Colebank says “I never did get a card from the officer who started it all."

BCWF ALERT
John B Holdstock
BC Wildlife Federation
Kelowna, BC

FlyingHigh
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I would never hand over anything to any "cop" who does not produce proper identification. If he is abusive in his language and demanor, I will file a police misconduct report. If he wants to drag me down to the station, I'll make sure he gets a hassle from me when we get there. I'll file copmlaints etc against the officer, I'll go to the highest authority, heck, I'd even file a complaint against the RCMP if I had to. I respect police and their authority, and I'll surrender guns etc. if they show me proper ID and have a good reason. Otherwise, I'll make their life hell.

BCLongshot
10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Why not CYA and send in the registration ?

BCLongshot
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
As for MichelD's above article I'd get a lawyer but then I'd have my ducks all lined up too.

bsa30-06
10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
if someone comes up to me in sweat pants and a t-shirt and ask to see my rifle he might be seeing something else.This is not proper police procedure you would think they would have enough common sense to produce there I.D.If this had been a scam and the rifles were stolen the first thing the police would have said was why did you give them to someone who couldn't or wouldn't produce a badge or I.D.

BigD
10-26-2006, 08:12 PM
I registered my gun, but who would carry the papers around with them anyway? What would a co ask for?. I have no idea where they are anyway.

ratherbefishin
10-27-2006, 07:17 AM
too bad one of the party didn't have a video camera on them to document the whole thing

kishman
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe it's because I grew up in the city, I don't talk to strangers. If someone walked up to me dressed in civies claiming to be a Constable without I.d. he wouldn't even get spoken to let alone shown my guns and I.D. That being said, I guess it is up to the hunter to make sure they have a valid P.A.L-P.O.L.

Bullmoose
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
You'll be in good company, the vast majority of guns have not registered